Thanks Cosgig - Turn Signal Fix (Pics) 64 Valiant

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
In preparing to pass provincial inspection to get my 64 Valiant street Legal I discovered the turn signal arm has been snapped off at the base causing additional delays. The original owner snapped it off when his knee hit the signal arm trying to get his legs over the roll bar.

Sellers on EBay wanted $150 for a lever.

I posted a thread about it and within minutes Cosgig responded with not only the fix but offered me 2 levers ( one of each style) free of charge.

Not only that he shipped them to me the same day and paid for the shipping Canada!

I thought I would do a follow up post to let Geof know his generosity was put to good use. It was also my first time working on a steering column and having to use a puller. I am very new to working on my own cars and loving every minute of it! So I thought I would post pics for other newbies like me that haven't done this before.

So......first thing I did to prepare for the fix was to purchase an original one of these. It was great suggestion to get one.

image_zpsc91c78d3.jpg

Here is the steering with after market GT wheel.

image_zps6786f821.jpg

Here are the two levers I received from Cosgig. He was also nice enough to send me a spare screw that holds the canceling cam.

image_zps38be261a.jpg

First order of business was cleaning up the arms. I used a rust spray and Evaporust. Sanded so primer and paint would stick. I used some "Faux" chrome spray paint and it turned out quite nice.

Here is finished product all ready for install.

image_zps8c9ae44d.jpg

As for changing the lever out, as most of you know you have to remove the steering wheel with a wheel puller, then you will see a screw that holds on the canceling cam. That screw is about 2 1/2" long and holds on the signal lever also. Just unscrew it, wiggle the lever tang out of the hole and insert the new lever and run the screw back in. The lever has a raised ledge on the mounting end to locate it and actuate the canceling cam. It is supposed to take 10 minutes.....took me a lot longer! Lol

On to part 2 and removing steering wheel and install

First I popped the cap off the steering and was exposed to this.

image_zpscd9bf76b.jpg

Disconnected the wire and removed center screw and screws to remove the steering. At first I thought I would have to undo all the Allen screws. Stupid newbie! Everything came off fine.

image_zpsea176e20.jpg

image_zpsdcac3bee.jpg

I was happy to see the column looks new. Next I had to attach the wheel puller and this where it was discovered I had purchased the wrong size screws to insert back in the column to use the puller. :banghead: It was also night time by now and the parts store was closed. :banghead: Well.....time to break out the tap and die set I have never used and make my own screws. I was lucky enough to have my friend visiting from the US that helped me with all this.

image_zps3815ba92.jpg

image_zps6521c6a8.jpg

image_zps2a917876.jpg

Ok...perfect fit and now I could attach the puller.

image_zps723fbf8f.jpg

It came off quite easily.

image_zps2b711523.jpg

image_zps42dca372.jpg

Rest was very easy. Just loosen the screw and wiggle out the broken arm and install new arm. Viola!

image_zpsc3f88803.jpg

image_zpsf6b0a802.jpg

I know this seems incredibly basic to most of you but to a newbie like me it is just plain old fun and exciting to do stuff on a car!

Thanks again to Cosgig for his help!

John

Here are some pics of the car. I am going to keep the spare turn signal as it a ***** getting in and out of this thing with the roll bars! Not a lot of room to squeeze your leg between the bar and lever. I will probably break it again!

image_zps77f7aad8.jpg

image_zps1fc6051e.jpg

image_zpse7396d2e.jpg

Wow, nice job, I can't believe that's the same crummy lever I sent you!! That car looks mighty sweet too, Love the looks!!

Im glad the turn signal lever worked out and was glad to be able to help!! Good luck with the car, Geof

You're not the first to be thanking Geof. He has helped many in the FABO family - even me, and I am down in Australia

Cheers to a great bloke - thanks Geof!

Glad to be of help to anyone I can!! If its early A bodies, I just love em and love to share the love with my blokes!! I just love that name Gary, although i probably used it wrong!!

Carry on mates!!!...(better?)

Whoa, a lotta love up there!! Geof

-
Back