Thanks for the 8 3/4 rear end but ...

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I found a 489 case differential, open-no suregrip, in the '65 Barracuda Formula S I purchased about ten years ago (photo one-sorry not focused). Now I find a bolt broken off inside the driver's side pinion snubber bracket (photo two). And the hollow differential vent bolt won't thread into the differential either (photo three). All crap I inherited.

P.S. And the large, round rear part of the differential (derrière) has a big dent in it. I am surprised the gears have room enough inside there to spin around.

489 case.jpg

pinion snubber bolt.jpg

Diff vent.jpg

Last edited:
My welder was afraid of heating up the carrier.
Find a better welder.
Would take an awful lot to cause problems. Need an easy out for the broken vent tube stuck in the diff. I can see it from here.

If you can't fix that I'm gonna come down there with a golden vise and clamp your nuts in it. Maybe then you'll be happy "Juz sayin"

Now I find a bolt broken off inside the driver's side pinion snubber bracket (photo
Drill it out and run a tap to clean up the threads

And the hollow differential vent bolt won't thread into the differential either (photo three
The broken off old vent is still in the hole, drill it out, run a tap in to clean up the threads.
P.S. And the large, round rear part of the differential (derrière) has a big dent in it. I am surprised the gears have room enough inside there to spin around
Hammer and dolly, then some filler to make it smooth.

Weld a flat washer to the broken snubber bolt, Then weld a nut to the washer. You can use the nut to loosen the bolt with a wrench.

If you can't fix that I'm gonna come down there with a golden vise and clamp your nuts in it. Maybe then you'll be happy "Juz sayin"

I know that's right. Get his damn man card while you're at it.

-
Back