Thanksgivings Back When... Please share

-

goldfish65

Reaction score
Just thought it might be cool to hear about the things our members enjoyed about Thanksgiving in the past...Happy Thanksgiving, let's make some new memories today!

For me, I'll always remember the Thanksgivings in the '60's and '70's. Grandma and Grandpa made the 50 mile drive from St. Pete in their VW. Grandma always came with Cool-Whip which her generation considered a break-through because it saved them from having to make whipped cream and they could even keep it in the freezer. She also brought the Mrs. Smith's pies. Pumpkin and apple, and mince, which only my Dad and Grandpa liked. All bought using coupons she collected. She also made the fruit salad with coconut and mini-marshmallows. We always had a "relish tray" with raw vegetables, radishes, etc. Turkey and all the usual side dishes; and always "sausage dressing."

Grandpa had worked for DuPont, first making cellophane, then rayon. Why are Grandpa's hands so shaky, I asked my Dad once, it was from the chemicals he was around back then. So it was difficult for him to eat, and he had to use both hands to hold his coffee cup. But he was great with us kids, he knew how to do card tricks.

Grandpa also worked for a china factory, and when they went out of business during the depression, workers got paid in sets of china, so that was our special china we only used on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was nothing very fine, just roses with a gold rim, but it was special to us.

Back then Grandma and Grandpa smoked. Grandpa had a little machine that stuffed tobacco into paper tubes. But when the price got too high, they just smoked the last cigarettes and quit.

Grandma was always knitting. We all loved wearing the sweaters and slippers she made us in colors we liked.

They only stayed a few hours, so they would get back to St. Pete before dark. Also, their cat was home alone and they didn't like to leave her for too long. We all gathered around the light blue VW and said good-bye. Till Christmas!

I'm thankful for today's Thanksgiving but for me, the ones with Grandma and Grandpa were the best.

The year we had Aunt Bib living with us for Bird Day. She was my moms sister. She lived with us and off for a while. Aunt Bib, all 4'10" of her...230 at her lightest....deep into the 400 at her heaviest. She was staying on the basement with her Daughter from her second husband. There was 6 of us at the dinner table that year. My Dad really loved all the left overs. Would always have a big enough bird so he could have sandwiches for a few days. I had the flu that year. I was semi comatose on the sofa that night. Aunt Bib was hungry. Aunt Bib was always hungry. At her size there was no sneaking up a flight of wooden steps. She stuck her head in the living room to check on me. I pretended to be asleep. Heard her go to the fridge. And then head back down stairs. Few seconds later heard the stairs creeping. Back down she went. Dad wakes up the next morning, opens the fridge to get something and just about came unraveled. My Dad was a very peaceful man, never any cursing, had never even heard him raise his voice....til now...He was livid. Aunt Bib ate it all. Everything that was leftover. We had gotten the biggest bird Larsons Turkey Farm had. Gigantic bowl of leftover stuffing...Several pies, all that there was at least half of them...all gone. He was in the major freak out mode. I remained quiet.
Fast forward a few days. Aunt Bib ALWAYS had at least 3 half gallons of ice cream. My Dad, in the first vengeful act I had ever witnessed by him, called up everyone in our neighbor hood who had kids and invited them over for ice cream. Aunt Bib came home a few hours later. Went to get some ice cream....she went nuts. I remember her screaming that the least we could have done was save her a spoonful. Few days later Dad is in the freezer, laughing. He comes to the table with a half gallon of Aunt Bibs ice cream and three spoons. He put a spoonful aside and then he and I ate the rest...he put the one spoonful of ice cream back in the container and put it back in the freezer. Aunt Bib moved out a few days later...

We would go down to my Grand Parents house On my Dad's side of the family. They lived on the San Jaun River in New Mexico so we always got up early and went Goose Hunting. Me and my cousins would get up early and go out in the cold before the crack of dawn. Did not matter much that we got anything we'll sort of. Was always a bonus if we got a goose or two for more leftovers.

It was more of a way for the Ladies to get us out of the house. Out of the way and we got to go shoot stuff win win! But it was a good time we whould BS and talk about how things were going what we had been doing. Nothing like coming back from freezing your you know what off and sitting down to a big old dinner. Drinking some good stuff just a little (Ya us kids too on Hollidays) taking a nap a relaxing with family that you only get to see a couple times a year.

Good times. Speaking of I gotta get my butt going! LOL

Thanks for sharing. Ink that's a great story. And CudaDust you are right there is nothing like the safe feeling of taking a nap in the home of distant family on those rare occasions.

Dad used to bake fresh pies on Thanksgiving. One for us and one for the "adults". The adult pie was mince meat with rum (I still to this day have not tasted mince meat pie).

Of course ours would be "virgin" like apple pie or pumpkin pie...

There were also two different kinds of stuffing at the table. One regular, and one with oysters in it for those who liked oysters...

I remember the first Thanksgiving that we had back with the Indians... We had to walk barefoot in the cold both ways up hill to meet them.... We had to start at 5:00 AM so we could get there in time to start the fire for everyone to stay warm....

(like the typical stories that they used to tell us)....

I remember being a kid and driving to my grandparent's house on the east side of Detroit from my parents on the west side of Detroit...about 30 miles each way...and not seeing one gas station or business or restaurant that was open. Everything was CLOSED.

Paul

-
Back