That didn't go well......

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Had an MRI scheduled for today....more like 2 of them, my shoulder and lower back. Scheduled the larger machine. Explained to the techs that I was in a lot of pain today, sciatic pain down both legs...to the point that I could feel the tops of my thighs twinning and make my calves hurt. Ear plugs in, headphones playing Ozzy, in I went. Did my shoulder first, was a very long 25 minutes. Things were numb. They pulled me out of the machine to take the face mask off and to tell me that they needed me to reposition myself. Explained to them that I have a very hard time laying in any one position for that long. Repositioned myself and in I went...and I freaked out. Hit the panic button...Don't know what actually made me lose it, if it was the incredible amount of pain I was in...if it was a bit of claustrophobia setting in...perhaps both. But what I really wanted to have imagery done on didn't frigging happen. Tech told me that I can reschedule for when the day shift is there, they will be able to lightly sedate me. I don't know if that will be enough...

I had my knees done awhile back..........to no avail, they still hurt, LOL.....and that was bad enough. I think if I need anything a bit more serious I'm gonna ask for a tranquilizer

I'm not claustrophobic, but the noise in incredible, along with trying to remain still

I had a cough when I did my first MRI - they told me about 40 minutes into a 45 minute session that if I coughed one more time I'd have to come back later and start over...longest 5 minutes of my life!

Was it an 'open' or 'closed' MRI? The open MRI machines are a lot easier to handle if it's claustrophobia

OPEN VS CLOSED.jpg

The first time I had one, it was a closed machine...they explained the noises, etc., but just as I was getting rolled into the tube, they handed me the panic button...why would someone need a panic button, I began to wonder? I was fine until there was a 'ring out whenever you can't take it' option...then my mind wandered, and, for some reason, the movie "Phantasm" popped into my head...

phantasm.gif

Once that happened, I flicked the panic switch away so I couldn't reach it anymore... ;-)

I had my knees done awhile back..........to no avail, they still hurt, LOL.....and that was bad enough. I think if I need anything a bit more serious I'm gonna ask for a tranquilizer

I'm not claustrophobic, but the noise in incredible, along with trying to remain still
I don't think my problem was claustrophobia, although it may have been. You are right about the noise. Ernie is going to call and schedule it again..this time during the day sothey can attempt to sedate me. Problem is the guy mentioned Valium, which gives me wicked hallucinations lol...

I had a cough when I did my first MRI - they told me about 40 minutes into a 45 minute session that if I coughed one more time I'd have to come back later and start over...longest 5 minutes of my life!

Was it an 'open' or 'closed' MRI? The open MRI machines are a lot easier to handle if it's claustrophobia

View attachment 1715067841

The first time I had one, it was a closed machine...they explained the noises, etc., but just as I was getting rolled into the tube, they handed me the panic button...why would someone need a panic button, I began to wonder? I was fine until there was a 'ring out whenever you can't take it' option...then my mind wandered, and, for some reason, the movie "Phantasm" popped into my head...

View attachment 1715067844

Once that happened, I flicked the panic switch away so I couldn't reach it anymore... ;-)
It was a closed one. Because of my hmmm.....uhhhh.....added girth I can't fit in the smaller one. The one I was in was plenty roomy. Have been in it before with no troubles. I think with the amount of pain I was in from being motionless for 25 minutes played a big part in me wigging out. Even on a comfortable bed I can only stand 10 minutes on my back. I was more freaked out yesterday than I was the first time I had a gun pointed at me by a gang banger in Phoenix the first time. Am going to try the open one this time. Have yet to see it but I don't think it looks like the picture you posted. Good times.....

The last time I had one I thought about people who have been in the military and the horrible noises. I wasn't in the military, but I believe had I been in a war zone I would totally lose it.

I've been through it 3 times in the last year. They should have given you foam earplugs. I feel like a sardine in it, as my shoulders are too wide. Good luck with the next one

I've been through it 3 times in the last year. They should have given you foam earplugs. I feel like a sardine in it, as my shoulders are too wide. Good luck with the next one
They did indeed give me foam earplugs...and headphones. Told them to play Ozzy, Sabbath, AC/DC and Metallica. Sardine, pretty much sums it up. When I had an MRI on my shoulder earlier this year they initially put me in the smaller machine. My shoulders didn't physically fit, in the process of them trying to get me in the thing they rolled my shoulder upwards a bit...damn near had tears in my eyes....

Just picked up the report on my cervical MRI... c5-6:Severe spinal stenosis.
So now I have cervical and lumbar spinal stenosis...good times...

I know exactly how you feel, 2 spinal surgeries within a year. The latest was a fusion and cage. Now I have numbness, foot drop, severe pains. Good luck to you

I feel for yeah. It sucks to have your spin messed up. Hope you get some pain relief. Have the same issues. So wish you the best.

2 l5/s1 lower back surgeries. Cannot will not go in tube ever again. Theres is an actual open mri where you sit down tight on bothsides and can see out front, only possibility for me. Years ago not closterphobic one bit. now turned 50 extremely closterphobic. only way to go for me unless
sedated like a mule........

Last edited:
I know exactly how you feel, 2 spinal surgeries within a year. The latest was a fusion and cage. Now I have numbness, foot drop, severe pains. Good luck to you
Seriously doubt that surgery is in my future. Ever since I had 4 surgeries in 2012 I have been experiencing chest pains and shortness of breath. Several stress tests, echoes and ultrasounds nothing has turned up. My primary care doc and I have talked about this several times....he is dead set against me pursuing any type of surgery. He is more than a bit concerned about the risks..
I feel for yeah. It sucks to have your spin messed up. Hope you get some pain relief. Have the same issues. So wish you the best.
Sorry that you are going thru this crap as well..found out some other crap today that is a potential nightmare coming down the chute...
2 s5 lower back surgeries. Cannot will not go in tube ever again. Theres is an actual open mri where you sit down tight on bothsides and can see out front, only possibility for me. Years ago not closterphobic one bit. now turned 50 extremely closterphobic. only way to go for me unless
sedated like a mule........
Nurse called today about the sedation but I was in the rheumatologist office and didn't answer. I am bipolar, don't do well with various different meds. When I freaked out the other day the tech told me that they will use either Xanax or Valium. Me and Valium don't see eye to eye, have some very wild hallucinations while on it previously. Xanax...took it to keep me from "going postal" the last several years of my time with the USPS. Started out at .5mg a dose twice a day. By the time I stopped taking it was taking 2.5mg twice a day...with very little effect.
They do have an open machine. Unsure of what it looks like.

Going on Wednesday to try again. Spent some time talking with the nurse. Told me I need to show up an hour early so they can give me 2MG of Xanax. Told her that I used to take 16 of the highest dose of Vic Odin along 4-5mg of Xanax daily so long don't know if 2MG of Xanax are gonna be enough to take the edge off. Will be in the open machine so here's hoping...

-
Back