The 405 is running out of cars.

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
Fast race cars on a slick street has claimed another. The Crow is no mo and its driver has two crushed vertebra. I wonder if he passed Dave leaving the hospital.

Not afraid of it.. ,too many things happen too quickly ,in the real world. A 13-11 second ride,MAYBE... anything quicker ,really needs a legal strip.(Done my fifteen year tour, watched absolutely wonderful racers ( 9:80-10:20' rides ,take it seriously, seen 80,000 dollar Acuras( lots a horsepower ,beat by a 13 second T Bird..) rear end cars,trying to impress the crowd. Those that know how do it properly,already know my answers...

I have to agree about the 13 to 11 second rule. My '68 is a low 12 second car and my '70 is deep into the 10's, although both cars are really geared and set-up for the half mile standing start. The difference those few seconds of quickness make in how the cars behave on the street is dramatic!

Even with modern drag radials, which is the only reason they are even safe enough to drive on the street in the first place, you absolutely have to keep in mind that conditions on the street can shut off your traction in a fraction of a second sending the car out of control in the blink of an eye.

Sub 11 second cars are a potential widow maker for 90+% of the drivers I see out there out there. Once your ride dips below the low 11 second mark, strange dynamic forces seem to be noticeably and often unpredictably at work. No wonder the modern muscle cars come with stability control etc. If they didn't, most people would never live long enough to pay for them.

rear end cars,trying to impress the crowd.

I love seeing weird cars just going for wheel stands. Last time I went to the strip there was a guy with an AMC Gremlin with a 440 swap. No wheelie bars, the bumper was dented as hell.

Every launch, he just went nearly straight up, banged bumper and came slamming down. haha

I have to agree about the 13 to 11 second rule. My '68 is a low 12 second car and my '70 is deep into the 10's, although both cars are really geared and set-up for the half mile standing start. The difference those few seconds of quickness make in how the cars behave on the street is dramatic!

Even with modern drag radials, which is the only reason they are even safe enough to drive on the street in the first place, you absolutely have to keep in mind that conditions on the street can shut off your traction in a fraction of a second sending the car out of control in the blink of an eye.

Sub 11 second cars are a potential widow maker for 90+% of the drivers I see out there out there. Once your ride dips below the low 11 second mark, strange dynamic forces seem to be noticeably and often unpredictably at work. No wonder the modern muscle cars come with stability control etc. If they didn't, most people would never live long enough to pay for them.

Excellent statement, spot on.

Fast cars and street racing is no different then what they were saying about funny cars back in the day.. Street Outlaws has safety crews standing by like that boring NHRA crap does.. The NHRA on TV has turned into watching golf... Just not worth watching.

-- x 4 --

yea, I don`t even watch the recordings any more ! the news about AJ , and Erica and all that came to me on this forum !!
I haven`t watched a nascar race since Chrysler pulled out either! guess I`m mopar or no car !! lol

I owned many many 440's 4spds. in the 70's. They were out of control when you drove them with the polyglass tires they came with. I remember when passing amother car. Having to get into the other lane. Get the car straight and then step on the throttle. You would go by the car you were passing with the tires making as much noise as the motor. and out of control.

With that said some of you guy's couldn't handle a new challenger with traction control. So why do you own a performance car from the 70's.

Steet racing is what was done with these cars back then. And we didn't have the rubber of today. So a Naturally aspirated Big Blocks with those old tires. Was just as uncontrolable as a Boosted car with new drag radials today.

I love the show. It reminds me of the days when the crowds would gather at the drive in to buy ice cream and lock in.

Boy those were the day's. If you can't handle the power you have on the street you shouldn't be driving a muscle car and should sell. Knowing how to use the throttle return spring is very important.

I think I go through more tires now then at age 16 in 1971 when the duster was new.

If you go faster then 65 mph on the street then your racing. I use the throttle return spring at 64 mph. Up until that speed I may need to Bob and weave a little. LOL.

Oh yeah My speedo may be a little off but the tach works just fine.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3yolr4sKA"]Stock 1971 340 Duster - YouTube[/ame]

I owned many many 440's 4spds. in the 70's. They were out of control when you drove them with the polyglass tires they came with. I remember when passing amother car. Having to get into the other lane. Get the car straight and then step on the throttle. You would go by the car you were passing with the tires making as much noise as the motor. and out of control.

With that said some of you guy's couldn't handle a new challenger with traction control. So why do you own a performance car from the 70's.

Steet racing is what was done with these cars back then. And we didn't have the rubber of today. So a Naturally aspirated Big Blocks with those old tires. Was just as uncontrolable as a Boosted car with new drag radials today.

I love the show. It reminds me of the days when the crowds would gather at the drive in to buy ice cream and lock in.

Boy those were the day's. If you can't handle the power you have on the street you shouldn't be driving a muscle car and should sell. Knowing how to use the throttle return spring is very important.

I think I go through more tires now then at age 16 in 1971 when the duster was new.

If you go faster then 65 mph on the street then your racing. I use the throttle return spring at 64 mph. Up until that speed I may need to Bob and weave a little. LOL.

Stock 1971 340 Duster - YouTube
Ill X2 that!
I get a little miffed at you guys that get all critical over street racing. You wouldn't be in the hobby your in today if it wasn't for street racing back in the day!

Stock 1971 340 Duster - YouTube

sweet video, your 60' looks a little slow. lol

-
Back