The 71 TX9 Rat Nest Contest!

-

MyD750

'71 Duster 340 TX9
Reaction score
Just because...
Today I was checking how the nut/bolt penetration was going, and while under the car, I figured I would just take the clutch/flywheel cover off. Check the photos to see the amount of rat nest that was up in that! Good grief, at first I was just thinking 'how the heck did acorns and so many oak leaves get in there..." So, if you've got rat nest photos, post them up! Largest nest and best story wins.

BTW, Blaster penetration oil is the bomb. I don't know why I've ever used anything else.

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

I found the mummified skeleton of a large rat at the local dump where I work. Not keen on removing it, let alone touching it.....so it will stay until the place is demolished. Just happens to be above a cable tray in the main distribution switch room.

1673139271766.jpeg

That tail is about a foot long. It's a big sucker. :eek:

I found a much worse nest once. But no pics.

The hornets did not look happy at being found, so I decided to leave them alone.

Yep, I believe that you get the Clutch Rat Prize!!!!

When I test drove my 95 F150 a few years ago, the clutch was slipping. The seller couldn’t believe it. He drove it, and very frustrated, he agreed to drop the price five hundred.
When I took it apart, I found a mouse nest that was preventing full release. I put a clutch in it anyway, because of the labor involved. But it didn’t really need it.
It had been sitting around while he prepared to flip it. Mice moved in, he never noticed because he only moved it around his property.
:thumbsup:

When I test drove my 95 F150 a few years ago, the clutch was slipping. The seller couldn’t believe it. He drove it, and very frustrated, he agreed to drop the price five hundred.
When I took it apart, I found a mouse nest that was preventing full release. I put a clutch in it anyway, because of the labor involved. But it didn’t really need it.
It had been sitting around while he prepared to flip it. Mice moved in, he never noticed because he only moved it around his property.
:thumbsup:
Yep, clutch etc will get replaced. It just amazes me the things one finds. Glad you got a price comp on that. :)

Went to start my snowblower in the early winter. A couple of RPMs and no go.......No spark. Found a full walnut in the magneto that ripped the magnets off.

Went to start my snowblower in the early winter. A couple of RPMs and no go.......No spark. Found a full walnut in the magneto that ripped the magnets off.
Speaking of that, I used to repair air cooled small engines. Mice love nesting under the cooling shrouds. The nesting then overheats the engine, sometimes loosening exhaust valve seats (no compression, as valve can't close), or blowing head gaskets (OHV B&S, some Kohlers).

Speaking of that, I used to repair air cooled small engines. Mice love nesting under the cooling shrouds. The nesting then overheats the engine, sometimes loosening exhaust valve seats (no compression, as valve can't close), or blowing head gaskets (OHV B&S, some Kohlers).
Since moving to the country, I have to keep on top of checking this stuff. I used to live-trap the little buggers (mice) and release them a ways away........Until I found the start of a nest in the intake runner of my numbers 340. Happy there was no damage as I caught it super early. Bought a dozen snap traps and set them all. Had a lot more mice in the garage than I would ever have guessed.

Killing mice and rats is a no win game - there are a million of them outside just waiting to take their place. I have used the electronic pest repellers for decades. They always work and incoming rodents don't stay more than 20 minutes...

That's nuts!

I'll see myself out now...

Since moving to the country, I have to keep on top of checking this stuff. I used to live-trap the little buggers (mice) and release them a ways away........Until I found the start of a nest in the intake runner of my numbers 340. Happy there was no damage as I caught it super early. Bought a dozen snap traps and set them all. Had a lot more mice in the garage than I would ever have guessed.
I've only spotted one mouse on our property, which means there are more. We've got feral cats and other natural predators, so it helps on the mouse/rat control. I'm in the planning stage of a separate workshop/garage, and traps will be there, along with just enough food to keep a feral cat around. He/she can munch on all the mice they care to.

-
Back