The A-Body With A Job

-
DionR, thank you for the kind words, I greatly appreciate it.

I have been waiting for someone to chime in whose driven I-90 as many times as you and I. We both know there's nothing special to it!

For the most part I-90 is unnattractive and destitute, so I'm glad you can understand why I want to spice the drive up a bit. Another thing, I've always wanted to visit Austin, TX (and San Antonio); what a great drive in a tall-geared A-Body that would be huh?! The possibilities of places to visit are endless now. I hate traveling, but now I love the idea if it means driving the Duster there...

Your point regarding engine power couldn't be truer. 275hp will do me fine, and work well for my set up. That would also help with my goal of 280 miles to the tank on these long I-90 jaunts.

Martin, thanks man. My friends call me 'Superman' now haha. So not true! I think I was just meant to live. Maybe I have a purpose or something? haha

Sorry you had to go through this. One of my sons is a Iraq Veteran but only did one tour so we keep a close eye on him since he has multiple personalities and PTSD. God Bless you for your great Attitude and not giving up. I like your traditional rod.

Great thread! Suscribed.

One of my best friends (James) lives in Ollala, WA.
He has a '72 Road Runner/GTX in Black to die for.

Later,
Bruce B.

PS: Just read post 23 ...... I am speechless. God bless you man!
If you need any misc. a body stuff for your Duster let me know.
I don't have much Duster parts but if you can use it it is yours.

I have been waiting for someone to chime in whose driven I-90 as many times as you and I. We both know there's nothing special to it!

For the most part I-90 is unnattractive and destitute, so I'm glad you can understand why I want to spice the drive up a bit. Another thing, I've always wanted to visit Austin, TX (and San Antonio); what a great drive in a tall-geared A-Body that would be huh?! The possibilities of places to visit are endless now. I hate traveling, but now I love the idea if it means driving the Duster there...

I love to drive, all though I admit I don't have the stamina I used to. I especially enjoy seeing roads I've never seen before.

One of my dreams (and my wife's) is a long drive on Route 66 in my Duster. Originally it was the Valiant, but I think that one will probably go down the road.

I enjoy I-90 between the Issaqua and Ellensburg, as it's kind of windy and I like the trees. After that, it's livable when the music and company are good.

Just something about a smooth comfortable car that will cruise at a respectable speed.

Great thread! Suscribed.

One of my best friends (James) lives in Ollala, WA.
He has a '72 Road Runner/GTX in Black to die for.

Later,
Bruce B.

PS: Just read post 23 ...... I am speechless. God bless you man!
If you need any misc. a body stuff for your Duster let me know.
I don't have much Duster parts but if you can use it it is yours.

Thank you, and it's gorgeous here.

I haven't seen a black GTX around though! Does he happen to have a drag challenger and a dart too?

Sorry you had to go through this. One of my sons is a Iraq Veteran but only did one tour so we keep a close eye on him since he has multiple personalities and PTSD. God Bless you for your great Attitude and not giving up. I like your traditional rod.

People instantly assume I hate the military now, that's completely not the case.

I do wish they would do more for the soldiers and their PTSD though. I hope the best for your son and I suggest he accept any and all help possible.

This particular soldier failed his psyche test for his third tour, a week later 'someone' approved another test and he magically passed and was on his way overseas.

I have to keep my chin up, not just for me but for all the people this affected. I really know who's important to me now, and I'm the luckiest man in the world.

Just something about a smooth comfortable car that will cruise at a respectable speed.

Absolutely, and I really dig dusterbd13's car! It's the first car with 17's I've really liked. I'm seriously am considering those Bullitt's.

This is a great idea, concept, and plan. Good for you for going after it. Despite the fact that my build is one of the two aforementioned, mine is all about driving and 100% comfort. I can easily get a solid axle to handle as good as any IRS, but a well built IRS is far more comfortable for driving across the country. My EFI'd Hemi will get great mileage coupled to a 6 speed with .5 overdrive and 3.73's out back. Nice cooling system, entertainment system, and bucket seats that were absolutely designed and built just for me. I just hope my wife likes them. Mine is the "g-machine" build, but it is designed to be a daily driver and will even be seen pulling the boat.

Great build you have here, I'm looking forward to seeing more of it come together.

I'm speechless too. That is the most horrible thing I have ever heard. My prayers go out to you.

Your Duster is a very nice foundation. I too recommend a 1985+ Roller cam 318. Knock the freeze plugs out...tear it down and have it Vatted....have it honed for new rings (you''ll see these roller cam engines have factory moly rings and the bores are awesome)...file fit the rings, clean up the stock pistons....and resuse the stock pistons. Have new Cam bearings installed.

Roller cam 318's come with 302 casting heads.
Inspect the valves for normal coloration....none Black/Wet...should be light tan and reddish brown.
Take the 302' heads, disassemble them. Have them vatted, and cleaned, and Have a 3 angle valve job done on the seats and valves. New Valve seals...and reassembled with the stock springs, or go with a Single Spring and Dampner like a 340 head has.
Use the stock cam, or a mild regrind.....keep the duration low like 210* and the lift under .490" or the retainer will hit the guide without machine work for special valve seals.
Good Edelbrock Performer intake and Holley 650 VC carb....it'll be a very nice little hauler.

Expect 350-375 hp with the stock compression ratio...uncorked, 4bbl'd, and tuned.

This is what I see when I look at your car !!!
BlackDuster.jpg

I am jealous yours is ALREADY BLACK!!!!

Love your motivation....definetly subscribed!!!

I've been across I-90 a bunch of times in a tractor trailer. Really beautiful on some of the stretches. I particularly liked the Ellensburg area.
Great idea for a build, I really like the idea of building a car to drive on long trips be cause I obviously like to drive.Some ideas for long haul driving; I would install a CB radio in mine. (I know that sounds uncool, outdated and a little too retro but I am a truck driver, believe me, they come to good use sometimes. Hey, extra fuel capacity would never hurt. Maybe just a little bit bigger tank. Some thing called a "ShuRoo" is a good idea. It is an electric powered sonic animal-in-your-path deterent, (used in Australia)
A moose can really screw with your ride. CHeap reconditioned GPS's can be had nowadays. One good thing as far as the oiling system goes is adding an accusump. (prevents dry startups and engine damage due to oil pump failure (if you set it up right).
Trans mission cooler might be a good investment. Oh well, I will stop here-rambling on.
LET ME SAY THAT I AM VERY INSPIRED BY YOUR OUTLOOK ON EVERYTHING. What happened might have been a terrible tragedy but sometime in the aftemath of such, you come out with a new kind of perspective of what's important. Obviously you have a strong constitution, something many dont have but wish they could have. Keep up the good work on your recovery and "keep it between the ditches" (trucker slang for dont give up, keep it real and keep on movin')

WOW! and Holy Shyst!

I've never been shot, but I have been left for dead by a guy who crashed into me. If it were not for the firemen in the firehouse @ 3:00 am (Drinkin up some beers I'm sure) I'd be dead in a ditch.
They got that bonesmuggling idiot on a slew of charges and slapped him with 5+.

You got some drive in ya! Go and get it done and don't let that drive up. Focus and pursue!

This is a great idea, concept, and plan. Good for you for going after it. Despite the fact that my build is one of the two aforementioned, mine is all about driving and 100% comfort. I can easily get a solid axle to handle as good as any IRS, but a well built IRS is far more comfortable for driving across the country. My EFI'd Hemi will get great mileage coupled to a 6 speed with .5 overdrive and 3.73's out back. Nice cooling system, entertainment system, and bucket seats that were absolutely designed and built just for me. I just hope my wife likes them. Mine is the "g-machine" build, but it is designed to be a daily driver and will even be seen pulling the boat.

Great build you have here, I'm looking forward to seeing more of it come together.

You have a great car swisswill. You also make a great point; the longer the ride the more comfy with IRS. Your car must be a dream to drive.

I'm not against G Machines in any way, I just don't really want one. I especially dont want to turn my current A-Body into one as it is a numbers car and I don't want to do too much to deviate it from factory-applicable condition.

I may lower the car an inch, add 17's, big sway bars, a chin spoiler, and my spare hood w/ a six pack scoop, but I don't want to do anything that can't be reversed in a weekend, you know?

I'm speechless too. That is the most horrible thing I have ever heard. My prayers go out to you.

Your Duster is a very nice foundation. I too recommend a 1985+ Roller cam 318. Knock the freeze plugs out...tear it down and have it Vatted....have it honed for new rings (you''ll see these roller cam engines have factory moly rings and the bores are awesome)...file fit the rings, clean up the stock pistons....and resuse the stock pistons. Have new Cam bearings installed.

Roller cam 318's come with 302 casting heads.
Inspect the valves for normal coloration....none Black/Wet...should be light tan and reddish brown.
Take the 302' heads, disassemble them. Have them vatted, and cleaned, and Have a 3 angle valve job done on the seats and valves. New Valve seals...and reassembled with the stock springs, or go with a Single Spring and Dampner like a 340 head has.
Use the stock cam, or a mild regrind.....keep the duration low like 210* and the lift under .490" or the retainer will hit the guide without machine work for special valve seals.
Good Edelbrock Performer intake and Holley 650 VC carb....it'll be a very nice little hauler.

Expect 350-375 hp with the stock compression ratio...uncorked, 4bbl'd, and tuned.

This is what I see when I look at your car !!!
BlackDuster.jpg

I am jealous yours is ALREADY BLACK!!!!

Love your motivation....definetly subscribed!!!

Thanks Prine I appreciate the prayers, and since you brought up using a 318 from a different car, I will let you in on a little secret: I would be really pissed if I was hauling *** in my new expirimental long distance cruiser and for some Godforsaken reason she threw a rod through the numbers matching block. The likelihood of a 318 doing so is nil, but it was good reason to consider the option of safely tucking my numbers motor in the corner of the shop.

I will consider that very effective and affordable option!

Thanks for the pic. Great visual. Are those 18's?

I've been across I-90 a bunch of times in a tractor trailer. Really beautiful on some of the stretches. I particularly liked the Ellensburg area.
Great idea for a build, I really like the idea of building a car to drive on long trips be cause I obviously like to drive.Some ideas for long haul driving; I would install a CB radio in mine. (I know that sounds uncool, outdated and a little too retro but I am a truck driver, believe me, they come to good use sometimes. Hey, extra fuel capacity would never hurt. Maybe just a little bit bigger tank. Some thing called a "ShuRoo" is a good idea. It is an electric powered sonic animal-in-your-path deterent, (used in Australia)
A moose can really screw with your ride. CHeap reconditioned GPS's can be had nowadays. One good thing as far as the oiling system goes is adding an accusump. (prevents dry startups and engine damage due to oil pump failure (if you set it up right).
Trans mission cooler might be a good investment. Oh well, I will stop here-rambling on.
LET ME SAY THAT I AM VERY INSPIRED BY YOUR OUTLOOK ON EVERYTHING. What happened might have been a terrible tragedy but sometime in the aftemath of such, you come out with a new kind of perspective of what's important. Obviously you have a strong constitution, something many dont have but wish they could have. Keep up the good work on your recovery and "keep it between the ditches" (trucker slang for dont give up, keep it real and keep on movin')

Thank you for the kind words and great suggestions Omaha, especially the "ShuRoo". I am going to look into it. I just hope it's something that doesn't piss me off and beep everytime I'm at a stoplight or following someone. The thing is I have hit deer. At least 10 times a year I dangerously maneuver around them (several times on a particular road w/ no guardrail and a 40ft dropoff down a ravine by my house!).

Gunshots won't be the death of me, these furry a-holes will!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am throwing around the idea of using a B-Body radiator too. I have a radiator out of a C-Body on hand to play with, and I think they're the same width.

The reason being is it came recommended by a Mopar guy I know who drove his 73 Road Runner w/ a Police 318 from Texas to Seattle all the time when he was on ARMY leave in the 80's. Said the bigger radiator didn't budge on temp. in 110 degree San Antonio rush hour grid-lock traffic. That always stuck with me.

Your story = speechless.

Regarding the build: I make a vote for headers. IF the goal is to get the MPG for the long hauls, it is hard to beat a set of headers. While I acknowledge there is the propensity for gasket problem, with the increase of locking header bolts and premium gaskets, much of those issues have gone away. I have a set of shorty headers on a daily driver 97 Ram, that have been on for 4 years with non locking bolts and paper gaskets, that have NEVER blown out or failed.

Your story = speechless.

Regarding the build: I make a vote for headers. IF the goal is to get the MPG for the long hauls, it is hard to beat a set of headers. While I acknowledge there is the propensity for gasket problem, with the increase of locking header bolts and premium gaskets, much of those issues have gone away. I have a set of shorty headers on a daily driver 97 Ram, that have been on for 4 years with non locking bolts and paper gaskets, that have NEVER blown out or failed.

I wont be doing headers, but more because there isn't a set out there that I can get my hands on that has enough ground clearance. Even the TTI's, while better than most, still drop too low for a lowered car. Wish there was as I agree they help mileage, but short of a custom set, I just don't want to be replacing collectors every 6 months because I hooked another one on a pothole or speed bump.

for headers, you may want to look into a set for a dakota. ive seen that done somewhere, and it looked like they clreared really good.

your recovery story is incredible. thank you for sharing it with us.

you plan sounds really good. id suggest OD, but thats just me. for the 318 roller cam, DO IT. youll get where you want to be quicker and cheaper that way.

also, you may want to look into EFI. on that mild of a motor, id recomend a TBI setup from a 350 chevy truck with a stick. you can adapt the GM computers and sensors pretty easily, and it will work well with that low of a power number. go with about an 89-92 setup, and you chould be pretty close with only minor tuning.

And thanks for including my car as an inspiration point,. i really need to get the heater in the shop fixed and work on it agaion.

Michael

Thanks Backtobasics!

Truth be told, I'm done with headers on street cars right now. Besides, every bit of evidence shows that I would gain 8-14hp tops with a mild performance motor.

Regardless of locking header bolts: the fitment, starter clearance issues, PS clearance issue, and lack of ground clearance for affordable headers seal their own fate as a lack of an option.

Also, I can't justify paying the 'header fine' of $600-700 for 'good' headers. The money could seriously go somewhere else more beneficial, like tubular UCA's and a Kevco or Milodon oil pan for that money.

I appreciate the suggestion though; I should have listened to my uncle years ago when he said run manifolds on the street.

your recovery story is incredible. thank you for sharing it with us.

you plan sounds really good. id suggest OD, but thats just me. for the 318 roller cam, DO IT. youll get where you want to be quicker and cheaper that way.

also, you may want to look into EFI. on that mild of a motor, id recomend a TBI setup from a 350 chevy truck with a stick. you can adapt the GM computers and sensors pretty easily, and it will work well with that low of a power number. go with about an 89-92 setup, and you chould be pretty close with only minor tuning.

And thanks for including my car as an inspiration point,. i really need to get the heater in the shop fixed and work on it agaion.

Michael

I appreciate that dusterdb. I'm taking this one step at a time. As far as OD, that's a little less likely than going EFI, which is inching closer and closer to the goals list.

Part of me thinks if I go EFI, why not get a 30,000 mile 5.7L HEMI from a yard? Kinda the point of the 318 and it's 'well-balanced' nature is the economical benefit.

I am willing to go as far as an Eddy 1403 500cfm electric choke for mileage control. I did an equation I found a few times to triple check it, and it shows 550cfm is plenty for the 318 I'm building. The 500cfm is a very safe experiment worth $315 to try someday (in the meantime I have to use my 600 Eddy, to be clear with ya'll).

Here's the equation if it helps anyone:

(cubic inch displacement) X (max rpm motor will see) / 3,456 = (optimal cfm needed)

For example (mine):

318 X 6,000 / 3,456 = 552.0833333 (or 550cfm)

One of the first 8 pieces of the puzzle are here, my Eagle SIR I-Beam connecting rods. Man these are sweet. Some recommended Scat I-Beam's, but I absolutely could not pass up this deal...

$99.99 brand new!

They are on sale at Mancini, but after inspection they are worth the $199.99 originally priced. I pulled the trigger on these when a stroker was being considered, so for my 318 build I'm in great shape. Get some for yourself now, even if you don't plan to do your LA small block for a couple years, jump on it! This deal is unbeatable and will never be this cheap again!

0126011519.jpg

0126011517.jpg

Also, PST has a good deal on 1.03" Torsion Bars right now, so I might do it. If they are too stiff for the street, so what? They were worth a shot you know?

You have a great car swisswill. You also make a great point; the longer the ride the more comfy with IRS. Your car must be a dream to drive.

I'm not against G Machines in any way, I just don't really want one. I especially dont want to turn my current A-Body into one as it is a numbers car and I don't want to do too much to deviate it from factory-applicable condition.

I may lower the car an inch, add 17's, big sway bars, a chin spoiler, and my spare hood w/ a six pack scoop, but I don't want to do anything that can't be reversed in a weekend, you know?

My car is the furthest thing from driveable at the moment, but in 5 1/2 weeks I hope to have a roller... It will be nice with the IRS which will only be made better by the fact I'm going to run AIR underneath.

I don't blame you for not wanting to change much on yours considering the numbers. Something to think about though, are the numbers you have now worth much or will they be in the future. Still, your plan is good and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully it comes together the way you envision it.

I saw your thread at PT.com too, glad to see you drop in there.

My car is the furthest thing from driveable at the moment, but in 5 1/2 weeks I hope to have a roller... It will be nice with the IRS which will only be made better by the fact I'm going to run AIR underneath.

I don't blame you for not wanting to change much on yours considering the numbers. Something to think about though, are the numbers you have now worth much or will they be in the future. Still, your plan is good and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully it comes together the way you envision it.

I saw your thread at PT.com too, glad to see you drop in there.

Thanks Swisswill. I'm sure your car will be amazing on the road.

I put a lot of thought into whether a numbers 318/Auto car will ever blue book over $10k, and I don't know... Nor is it a major concern.

I don't claim that it is a valuable car because it is all original, but it has a certain value to me that these are the parts that rolled wth it off the assembly line 40 years ago, and it might mean something to some other people out there as well. It's a bonus that adds that much more meaning to me.

A numbers matching 273/Auto Dart may not bring a whole lot vs. a 340/4 Speed Duster Clone, but there are plenty of those 273 numbers Dart owners that love their original cars that keep them sheltered 51 weeks a year. The reason it was brought up earlier in the thread was that I had no qualms about driving the wheels off my mostly original numbers matching car.

I tremendously love this car regardless of its numbers-matching condition. The sentimental factor is there. That numbers motor was there just as much as the original dash all those years that the car and I were 'One', so it feels right keeping the 'Gang' together. 'We' all work great as a team.

It would be like the Colts trading Peyton Manning for Tom Brady. Sure, the Colts would still be awesome, but why? Peyton being on the Colts works, so they leave well-enough alone hahaha (how I used the NFL as an analogy I don't know).

Subbed. I think I'll go for those I beams in a couple weeks. Just to start building up a part supply for when I eventually get the cuda back on the road, which sadly won't be this summer. The crash, college, life in general has kinda put getting the engine fixed on the back burner for the moment.

Also your story :tongue9:

I put a lot of thought into whether a numbers 318/Auto car will ever blue book over $10k, and I don't know... Nor is it a major concern.

I don't claim that it is a valuable car because it is all original, but it has a certain value to me that these are the parts that rolled wth it off the assembly line 40 years ago, and it might mean something to some other people out there as well. It's a bonus that adds that much more meaning to me.

Well said.

-
Back