the best 440 heads

-

mopar426

Reaction score
hey all what are the best 440 heads you cant get im lookiing for a mid to low 10 sec car

Indy's 440-1 are what I beileve you will be looking for.

Lots of guys are running in the 10's on here with 440source/eddys heads. Not sure if there the ported versions or not.

there are quite afew guys running mid tens with good ole 906's or 915's or 452's. I've done it with 2 different engines in a 3300 lb. car. didn't seem that difficult or exspensive.

Mid 10's are easily done with iron heads. I ran a flat top piston zero deck 30 over 440 with a set of Dan Divorac Max wedge ported 452's in a 71 Scamp. Ran 6.40 1/8

There's more to a 10 second 440 than a set of off the shelf aluminum heads. Stuff like porting, roller rockers, custom length push rods, roller cam or very aggessive solid flat tappet, 10.5 to 11 compression, tall single plane manifold such as an M1, Big tube headers, forged crank, pistons and rods, and this is just the engine. I'd talk to Indy and ask about combinations for their ported heads. Myself I'm with Bickel, cast iron 452's for me with lots of port work and shaving to get to the correct CC's which again is dependent on which pistons are chosen. In my case it's the devil I know.

Terry

I ran a Hughes (as always) HTL6872BS3, J converter ,4.86 gear 29x11.5W slicks. 1050 dominator on a Team G intake.

Not to hyjack this thread but that's a pretty big cam you're running, I like it. Are you also running the Hughes roller rockers.

Hell this is all good info for Mopar 426 anyway I'm thinking.

Terry

Not to hyjack this thread but that's a pretty big cam you're running, I like it. Are you also running the Hughes roller rockers.

Hell this is all good info for Mopar 426 anyway I'm thinking.

Terry

Yes I ran the 1.6 Hughes rockers, this was on a car i had several years ago. This was a very dependable combo, I ran it for 4 seasons, even on the same plugs! Then I had to go faster, hince SGBARRACUDA, 67 Cuda, that one was high maintenance.

Oh and that was the cam Hughes recommended. It worked! That is why I run their cams. And sorry to hyjack this thread too.

Our 67 dart gt ran a 10.82 last yr on pump gas @ 3100 lbs with a tranny that flared on both shifts and a torque converter that was garbage(broken we later found out when it was cut open to get restalled Ill post pics of the broken part tomorrow in another post as I know very little about them) It's the only tranny we were running in our cars that our sponsor didnt build. the case was junk too from some inferior work that caused it to get all screwed up in the back of the case(again sorry for not knowing the proper terms, I'm a stick guy) Anyways heres a quick rundown on the combo, not rocket science and it does run the numbers on pump gas and theres still quite a few things we can upgrade:
030 over 440,H-beams,11-1 ross pistons,ported rpms,untouched single plane m-1,TTI headers 3in pipes with x-pipe, the second to the smallest sft cam that hughes makes for the 440(if you want the exact part number and specs I can get them tomorrow(more power could be found with a custom, jay allen is going to be cutting us some solid rollers for our cars for next yr) but we have been more than happy with the hughes cam)supposedly 3500 converter(not enough for what we r doing almost nil street time its a pretty hairy cam) and it was junk anyways. never stalled the same twice it seemed. We r running 3,91s and a 26x12.50 hoosier quick time pro in an 8 3/4 with the big bearings. The car has had the leafsprings moved under the framerails and has had lowering blocks welded to the housing to get it back to near level with the super stock springs we r running, other than a snubber and napa shocks its pretty straight forward heres a pic of it (pretty undramatic) but its a pic of a pic we have on the wall:
1204092045.jpg

But like other members have postedd you could get there with iron heads too, this is just one way to get there and we didnt build this motor to run all motor, I'm confident it'll be faster that our race car(68 dart post indy headed 12-1 500 @ 2600 lbs big tired back halved car by the end of next season when we start spraying it, it's got a brand new expensive nitrous kit on it we.ve been waiting to try once we get the other probs fixxed we just got our new tranny and converter from our tranny guy yesterday so I'll start reassembly tomorrow hopefully.
I was reading in a mopar mag yesterday about somebody thats got a cnc program for 906s for a decent price(of course I can't remember the price sorry lol) I'd seriously consider that just for the whole sneaky thing.
Another thing we tried(in our 74 duster) was an absolutely bone stock shortblock(440) cast pistons and all, over a hundred in the hole stock bolts everywhere(we had it laying around and we were bored) Anyways we put a set of ported mopar stage 6 heads on it that had been milled alot ended up with around 10.5-1 (I figured it out and wrote it down in the three ring binder we keep for the car but it's not here. Ran the mopar solid .557 lift cam(dont remember what it was @ 050 damn Im forgetting alot so far lol) 1 5/8 schumaker headers,performer rpm intake,crappy, no really crappy 2.5 in exhaust with turbo mufflers dumped, 3500 converter, full manual 727(a good one) and an 8.25 with 3.91s( dont laugh that rearend has prob 300 passes on it with sticky tires and it still works like it did when we built it but we r putting an 8 3/4 in it this winter) with a 26x11.50 hoosier quick time pro dot and an absolutely stock /6 suspension that combo ran a best of 11.72 getting the compression where it was the hard, and wrong way ended up pushing a head gasket out of it(detonation I'm sure but I never heard it but that doesnt mean it wasnt happening. but if it would have held together and then a 150shot might have run a high 10 but not for long. If I was you and was starting from scratch(dunno if you are just assuming) Id build the biggest motor (cu in) I could afford and thatd make things alot easier, run the same et but at a lower rpm and it'dprob do it longer if you bought decent parts. If you're gonna run race gas and alot of compression 10s will be easy money. Are you building a race car or a street car? Sorry about writing a book(I usually do) but my mind starts going and my fingers start typing lol. Anyways good luck with you project.
Jr.

I ran 10.9s with a best of 10.91 in a 3100 lb. duster, 9.73 lowdeck 451, bone stock 906s, XE284H cam, M1 single, 750dp, 1.7/8 headers, MSD ignition, 9.5" 4400 stall, 4.11 gears, 1.5s on the 60fts. & over 120 shifting at 5600 rpm, so it doesn't take much head to get into the 10s with an BB a body, just a well thought out combo.

Mid 10's are easily done with iron heads. I ran a flat top piston zero deck 30 over 440 with a set of Dan Divorac Max wedge ported 452's in a 71 Scamp. Ran 6.40 1/8

I had Dan do the work on my 440, excellent guy that knows his Mopars. I`ve heard that he`s had a lot of medical issues and has had to sell one of his factory race cars to pay for hospital bills. I hope he`s gotten all of that behind him now and that he`s better healthwise and financially.

I had Dan do the work on my 440, excellent guy that knows his Mopars. I`ve heard that he`s had a lot of medical issues and has had to sell one of his factory race cars to pay for hospital bills. I hope he`s gotten all of that behind him now and that he`s better healthwise and financially.

Him and i have alot of the same heath issues. He just tends to ignore his and it is catching up with him.

So, mopar426, I think the consensus here is that 10's are reachable with iron heads. It may be easier with a nice aluminum head, but it all boils down to your goals with your car. Is it street/strip, strip only or other? What is your budget? Weight, suspension, tire? I know there are a lot of great combos that could be copied from the guys and girls on here. I'll bet if you ask around here you'll get some guys to share their combos with you. Maybe even some secrets. Let us know what you end up putting together.

What altitude are you guys running at? where i live is 4500 feet . It is hard to get a ten second car here.

I ran a 10.50 at 127.9 in the 1/4. 6.60 at 103 1/8 mile 1.43 60 ft in my old 3500 pound 65 Plymouth. I was useing a set of box stock 84 cc edelbrock aluminum heads.here is a pic of my old car. what kind of car are you going to build?? mopar65

DSCF0035.jpg

I wonder how fast my Dart will be when it's done? I was shooting for low 11 or hi 10 sec runs using mopar performance aluminum MW heads on a 470 stroker a 70 Dart with fibreglass front end and serious lightening.Caltracs and an 8 3/4 out back and a 10" or 10.5" slick ( dont really wanna hack the wheel wells,lol.)Thinking it'll be under 3000 lb's when it's done.Cam will be close to .600 (slightly under).

I know that mopar muscles B3 cuda is running low 10's and thier hunting for 9's with a more serious big block that what I'll have.

Tens are still feasable at that altitude. May require more cubes, more compression, lighter weight car. Still boils down to $$$ you want, or can spend. A good head is a necessity at altitude. More air is more power. Good luck with your build. Show us some time slips when you are done.

thanks for the info guys really helped me out the car im goin to build is a 1971 dodge demon goin to paint it all black with a flat black six pack hood (fiberglass) with a strange dana 60 with 4.10 with mickys et street radial
P325/50R15(28'' x 13.5'' - 15'') the motor is goin to be 500 stroker motor with 11.5 to 12 comp ratio with a set of nice indy head kit hyd roller cam hooker fenderwell 2 in to 3 1/2 primarys not sure on stall well no when i get the cam and possibly a 150 to a 250 shot of giggle juice but wont spray all the time only when i need it . the car is mostly goin to be on the track but will take it to my our local sonic for our car meet and (lil racin) to whoop up on the chebby boys.:finga:

You can easily get in the 10's with a BB Chrysler and Eddy Rpm heads . 8)

(you dont need nitrous, roller cam or Indy parts)

Ive got a budget build that recently tested awful on a leakdown ( rings / ring seal) . Its got about 4 years on it .

its been 10.58 , and a 6.64 1/8 mile .

493 ( 440source stroker kit)
hand ported Edelbrock Rpm's , 84 cc
10.8:1
running 93 pump gas
Scott Brown flat tappet cam , 587/593 lift , 259/266 dur.
MP ignition / chrome box

410 gear , 4,000 TCT converter , car is about 3200 w/o driver

new rings and bearings are going in next month - i KNOW it will go quicker... :toothy10:

-
Back