The big three ....DORKS

-
so then we go across the street to O'reileys and they say the guy argues that if a heater element came out then one has to go back in .....he says a standard freeze plug wont fit where the heater came out when the heater is clearly aftermarket....OMG really.

This is the best one.....when they are "confidently wrong", and you must listen to their knowledge.

Don't you know they cast a different block when you ordered the block heater? LOL

i actually applied at auto zone last year and i got an interview but it was a no go.

they called me in because my Resume states that i am Bi-lingual, well when they found out that my other language is NOT Spanish the interviewer said that i know the "wrong language" they were looking for a Spanish speaker.

Then the interviewer told me that i am over qualified for the counter job i was applying for because i have a Masters Degree and that people with that kind of degree typically don't apply for counter jobs ......so Mr. manager says.

all this despite the fact that i have auto certificates and automotive experience ...WTH.

i don't know what they are looking to accomplish.

apply at napa. Vato-zone is filled with mindless hacks.

Makes me glad we had books in the part stores I worked in (autozone and pep boys) if the computer didn't pull up the part I wanted, I got a book that would. I had a lot of old timers that would only deal with me and Jim. I guess it's because we were the only ones smart enough to do it right the first time

I also enjoy very obviously making up cars for them to look up, in order to find the parts I need.

Yes, sonny I swear that 383 starter solenoid is for a 1 of 16 1964 Dual Ghia.

The manager -- the MANAGER -- of the Martin, Tennessee Advance Auto Parts store argued with me over the phone for almost ten minutes. He kept insisting that what I really wanted were "head gaskets" when in fact I was calling to see if they stocked header gaskets for the 440 I was putting in the shop truck. Once I finally got my point across, he tried to sell me manifold gaskets instead. The next morning Summit had them on my door step and, imagine that, they were the right ones.

I used to get calls when I worked at CSK, before they became O'Reilly, back in High School, from people asking for a Flux Capacitor.

I'd ask them what year their DMC was.

They usually answered off guard.

I'd say we have two in stock and ask if they'd like a price or a hold.

If they said yes, I'd ask them to bring the sports alminac and meet me in the alley.

Parts stores aren't the same, anymore. Autozone is a dice roll. Napa is usually ok, prefer Car Quest. Snippy old lady there couldn't get a rack for my brother's '88 Supra. She told me to come back in an hour and had it rebuilt in that time frame. Kick ***.

LOL Dave! Your story reminded me of a couple things, one working the parts counter at Checker Auto Parts in Colorado out of high school. I had fun with those Flux Capacitor people too (though you did get more inventive than me :-D), and got the full run of muffler bearing, blinker fluid, chrome plated master cylinder spark plug -- and even a '55 VW lower radiator hose -- requests, probably more than most being the only girl who worked there. The only computers in the store were in the manager's office and the cash registers up front; I miss the catalog days myself.

I moved to SoCal a few years later and ended up with a phone number one digit off from the local Super Shops. The usual "Hello?" when I answered it the first time and gave the caller the right number turned into a "Good afternoon, Highland Super Shops. This is Lee. How can I help you?" when they immediately called back. I wonder sometimes how many people over the years insisted their parts were supposed to be waiting on the counter when they got there ........ :angel12:

Oh, wow! Which one did you work at? I worked at the Checker on the Westminster Mall loop up on 88th and Wads.

There was a girl that worked down at the one on '64th and Wadsworth, which was the one I applied at (down the street from my mom's in High School)... The girl there, had a primer gray Dodge Dart that I want to say eventually went plum crazy and got hit, or was jambed plum crazy and got hit. I remember it had a sixpack scoop. There were some cool cars floating around Denver, then.

I used to get calls when I worked at CSK, before they became O'Reilly, back in High School, from people asking for a Flux Capacitor.

I'd ask them what year their DMC was.

They usually answered off guard.

I'd say we have two in stock and ask if they'd like a price or a hold.

If they said yes, I'd ask them to bring the sports alminac and meet me in the alley.

Parts stores aren't the same, anymore. Autozone is a dice roll. Napa is usually ok, prefer Car Quest. Snippy old lady there couldn't get a rack for my brother's '88 Supra. She told me to come back in an hour and had it rebuilt in that time frame. Kick ***.

Yeah. It's hard to find a good reliable parts store with their turnover rate anymore though. It's like buying milk. The same store is entirely different from town to town in every way possible..

LOL Dave! Your story reminded me of a couple things, one working the parts counter at Checker Auto Parts in Colorado out of high school. I had fun with those Flux Capacitor people too (though you did get more inventive than me :-D), and got the full run of muffler bearing, blinker fluid, chrome plated master cylinder spark plug -- and even a '55 VW lower radiator hose -- requests, probably more than most being the only girl who worked there. The only computers in the store were in the manager's office and the cash registers up front; I miss the catalog days myself.

I moved to SoCal a few years later and ended up with a phone number one digit off from the local Super Shops. The usual "Hello?" when I answered it the first time and gave the caller the right number turned into a "Good afternoon, Highland Super Shops. This is Lee. How can I help you?" when they immediately called back. I wonder sometimes how many people over the years insisted their parts were supposed to be waiting on the counter when they got there ........ :angel12:

That's funny! When I was working for Autozone we had an O'Reilly's right across the street. Most people there were dumber than a box of rocks. One day I finally got a wild hair and my button called desk for a thermostat on the 65 Corvair! After five minutes of searching the guy at the counter said he call me back when he got some results. Lol He called me about 30 minutes later and ask if I knew that was an air cooled engine! Rofl! DUH!

-
Back