The Curse Of A Car

-

fastcorgigarage

Reaction score
I want to hear your stories about your past or current vehicles that turned out to be nothing but a curse for you.

Yeah. My last three, including my current Ranger.

I sat down in December of 2003 and special ordered my first new vehicle ever. An 04 F250 with the 6.0 Powerjoke. By 36K, I was so tired of it spending 10 days out of the month in the shop from everything to chasing never ending coolant leaks, to blowing oil out of the turbo to burning up differential clutches that I finally traded it on an 08 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.8 V6. 18K into the Jeep, one night as I was unlocking the gate to come in the driveway, I heard a knock in the engine. Took it in the next day. Got a call later on that day that I had to have a short block. Long blocks were not available. After two solid months at the dealer, and fighting with them to send the heads out to be redone (they were going to slap them back on the new short block) they finally agreed. Got it back after two months and it was never the same. Kept returning for coolant leaks, oil leaks, you name it. Got fed up about the same time the economy tanked and decided to trade down. I looked originally for a Dakota but found the 04 Ranger I have now. I went from a 460 buck a month note to a 175 buck a month note. Great, right? Wrong. The day AFTER I traded for the Ranger, the check engine light popped on. I took it back and they said it was just a "random misfire code" and reset the computer. Back on the next day, so I did some digging online. Come to find out there's a HUGE factory TSB on the Ranger 3.0 V6 from 03-06 about Ford not using hard enough metal for the exhaust seats. Gotta have new heads. So, I found some at Dover Cylinder head in Atlanta. 300 bucks for heads, gaskets and new head bolts SHIPPED. I called the dealer and filled them in. They basically said "tough, you bought a used vehicle". Wrong answer Tim. I took my *** up to the dealer asking nicely to see the dealer principal. They said no. I kept raising my voice to the point that everyone in the showroom and all the offices knew why I was there and what had happened. Turns out the truck had been sitting in the very back of the dealership for over 6 months......because they KNEW what was wrong with it and didn't disclose it. Finally, the bossman heard me and came out. I told him that all I wanted was a check cut for 300 bucks and I would fix it myself. He refused at first and actually asked me to leave or he was going to call the police. I told him to get one of his sales men to call the police because he was fixing to need them and an ambulance to haul his lying *** away. I told him I had no problem going to jail for kicking his *** over 300 bucks and he needed to decided then and there if me stomping his *** in the middle of the showroom was really worth 300 bucks or not. He cut my check. That was a little over three years ago. Just recently, my truck began the same problem all over again. Yup. Valve seat recession. I pulled it back down and discovered Dover Cylinder head had not done what they had advertised. Old valves with old reground seats, when new valves and tungsten carbide seats were supposed to be installed. Since their warranty was only 12 months, I was screwed that way. So, I bit the bullet and paid for it myself. Upgraded, wider margin valves, real tungsten carbide seats installed by the machine shop that I normally use. Now the truck is running great. I hope it does not do it again. Even if it does not, this is my LAST time around with any kinda newer vehicle. I'm done.

Yea, my Dart :)
But that's all over now, and it's rock solid reliable.

I was all little pain in the butt stuff almost like it was haunted, and I told my wife I think it was just testing my worthiness to own it.

We are best of friends now.

a 70 sport fury 2 door hardtop....I never had a car that fought me on everything worse than this fury....if it wasn't one thing it was another.

I tried to get it started after I first got it and it started up then it just suddenly and violently stopped .....something came loose in the engine .....so I pulled the engine and with all the overhang the car has on the front made it a real job.

then when I was working on the engine I would order parts and more than once, the wrong parts came. then after realizing the engine was too far gone ....I replaced the engine with a running 440 I had extra at the time......then I got it running to find the rear end was full of water and everything was rusty in there ...even though it would still roll ....wet rust ...YUK. to this day I still have no idea how that happened in the first place ...something had to have happened when the P.O. had it.

then one day I was driving it around the yard and a tire totally shreded .....I suppose it was dry rotted where I couldn't see it ...how does a tire shred at 20 MPH .....

the car was always hard to drive for me ...I could barely see over the dash at 4'10" ....and finding good parts for it was like pulling teeth.

so I finally pulled the engine and traded it off for my green 69 dart and the dart has been most kind to me. and the fury went on to be kind to its new owner ....so it must have been meant this way.

Attachments

• CIMG1032 (2).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 187
My bad luck truck. Here it goes.. Bought an 04 Nissan Frontier king cab 4x4 used in late 05 with 30k miles, really nice loaded little truck. Nissan fan backstory.. My first new vehicle was a 87 hardbody 4cyl. king cab 2wd. ran for 14 years and 350k miles, still ran when passed down to youngest son. Best vehicle ever owned. Back to the 04.. I`d be stupid not to buy another Nissan truck right? Wrong, not so much as mechanical issues more like just cursed. Made me wonder why someone would get rid of a new truck only after a year?
First stroke of the curse was a metorite hit my windshield while driving home from work on the dulles greenway, I thought someone shot at me, glass flew all over me and the whole cab, I`m like damn.. A dump truck was ahead of me but was a mile, so.. no way, from him.
This was after a week of ownership, oh well **** happens right?
within the third week I was parked on a sidestreet at my jobsite in Tysons corner Va. I walked out at the end of the day to discover someone sideswiped the whole rear quarter deep/bad and of course hauled ***.:wack:I had to eat the deductable and got it fixed.. they done a fine job. A year or so of hearing a belt squeek on startup finally left me stranded away from home turned out to be the balancer slipping on the hub. Damn.. wonder that did`nt hurt the engine?
Then a bunch of stupid stuff like eating my original recorded CD. and everytime I opened the tailgate the cable would falloff, that was solved much later, don`t ask.
What made me throw in the towel, was I noticed rust bubbles around the windshield where the hack that replaced it sctatched it with his machine.
Or I just used this as an excuse to dump it on the next poor slob who has to listen to my music if he turns on the cd player. LOL
Traded it in on a sweet 09 Serria:-#

I guess I've been really lucky-can't think of one car I ever owned that gave me a lot of grief that wasn't caused by my own hand or should I say foot.

any car that is orange...

:thumleft: There must be something to this orange thing you speak of :-D
I have never owned one :shock: Thus me having no complaints that I can
remember :D

I must've had pretty good luck compared to some of ya'll.....

My old Demon had a combination of fuel delivery problems and then carburetor problems where it kept needing to be constantly re-adjusted or it wouldn't idle and then a strange electrical problem where the coil would suddenly stop getting voltage....while driving! Damn, trying to troubleshoot 3 things crossing paths was a helluva lotta fun.

My Datsun F10 Sport Wagon...it was like driving a coke can...76 miles an hour down hill with a back wind...you had to plan your passes well in advance..drove the thing wide open most of the time on the highway..drove like a truck with rubber band steering and a mystery gear shift..had Honda front brakes...used to eat pads like it was going out of style.. and UGLY..

I want to hear your stories about your past or current vehicles that turned out to be nothing but a curse for you.

The the amazing 1999 chevy shitburban K1500 that i seem to be chasing water leaks around every weekend. Its like as soon as i fix one antifreeze leak, it moves to a different hose connection. Meanwhile i keep adding to the overflow bottle. It also has a constant loss oiling system, i spin a new filter on once a year, meanwhile i just add a quart of oil to it every month. Reminds me of a jet engine, you dont change the oil in these either, you just change filters, and top off the oil tanks LOL. It also has a weird electrical system, sometimes the power windows and power locks work other times they dont. This is all at random. It has a clunk and squeal coming from the front like a brake problem or a loose wheel. I took it apart yesterday, wheels are tight, no noise or roughness from the wheel bearings, brakes i replaced last year, still got a lot of meat on them. I told my wife drive it till the noise its making results in a component failure, then we will know what to fix. I am hoping i get enough back in taxes next year to upgrade us outta this piece of **** and into a newer grand caravan, that is unless obamacare whacks me harder in my paycheck next year then i wont be able to afford to replace it.

Man I have seen a major issue with newer vehicles.
We have a cursed car in our drive way right now. My 64 Dodge Dart 270 2 door post car. I have tried to sell it for a while but no one ever paid, I tried to trade it but again with no results, I even tried to donate it to 3 different colleges and was told they wasn't taking anymore donations. Every time we saved money up to fix the motor, by a new trunk pan, wiring harness, or a front bench seat something comes up and the funds have to be spent else where. I have had this car nearly 3 years and haven't got to drive it yet.

-
Back