The dart has rear disc brakes. Wahoo!!!!

-

Badart

Reaction score
I know what you are thinking. Not another 9" conversion. As most of you know when I got my dart it was a hack job basket case. I have kind of went overboard with the rearend and suspension and abody 8 3/4 rears don't exacly grow on trees around here.
The rear brakes are from a ford exploder 8.8 rear that I pulled at the salvage yard for $40. The rear end is a big bearing 9", detroit locker and 3.89 gears are parts that I already had for another project. I narrowed the rearend myself and just got the axles yesterday from dutchman. So far so good. I did have to do some modifying to the retaining plate and enlarge the disc rotor to clear the axles on the lathe at work. The cool thing about this set up is that it uses a single parking brake cable that I can just tie in to my exsisting cable on the drivers side. It also has the parking brake assembly inside of the rotor. Well what do you think?

Rear discs.jpg

X 2, hope it all works out well for you. It's a lot better than you had to start with.
I still can't figure out what the previous owner was thinking with the p.o.s. set up that was in the car when you bought it.
It was brutal....to say the least.

Very nice!! I went with the Master Power rear disc kit, but it has been brutally cold lately and I can't force myself to go out to the barn and work on the dart!!

I know what you mean about hack jobs. I bought my dart from an 18 year old, and spent the first year or so fixing things that he had rigged up!!

I think it kicks butt! I don't blame you at all for going to the 9", just don't try to test the waters about a chevy v-8 swap! :)

I guess if you already had the 9 inch parts, then it's not as bad. What kind of narrowing jig did you use? Home built or something you bought?

Very nize!!=P~ Looking good Badart 8)8)

I guess if you already had the 9 inch parts, then it's not as bad. What kind of narrowing jig did you use? Home built or something you bought?

Me and a buddy made up a jig one night at work using metal from the scrap bin and machining it. Worked pretty good.

I think it kicks butt! I don't blame you at all for going to the 9", just don't try to test the waters about a chevy v-8 swap! :)

I wouldn't even consider something like that. That's just wrong. Although I would love to have used an 8 3/4 suregrip, but at the time I couldn't find one and a 9" go for around $100 around here.

-
Back