The Darwin Project

-
the ol' cuda look very nice ,I love the color combo and overall appearance..nice job.

Awsome job on the Cuda guy's it looks great.
Tim

Thanks bigred, look for updates in the near future as we will be getting the interior put back together this spring.

I think you've all seen the self inflicted carnage on my "Crashed the Cuda" thread but in case you missed it, here you go. From here forward I will dedicate this to the rebuild.

Attachments

• Cuda Crash 001.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 252
I found a really nice rust free fender from a member here, it wasn't without its dings and scratches but its nice to start with something thats not totally rusted out. This fender came off of a Valiant that had side mouldings so those needed to be welded up. Heres some pics of the test fit and then prep for welding up the holes.

Attachments

• Cuda Crash 012.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Cuda Crash 013.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Cuda Crash 015.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Cuda Crash 016.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 223
I didn't get pictures after the holes were filled but here is where we are at with the start of the repair of the hood and fender. Still quite a bit of filling and sanding to do but I wanted to get it fit up so I could get the right profile for the hood repair. I'll probably have this fender on and off six more times before its ready for paint

Attachments

• Cuda Crash 020.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Cuda Crash 019.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 254
  • Cuda Crash 018.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Cuda Crash 017.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 238
Thanks for the update and the chance to revisit this thread and the great job you and your son have done.

Thanks guys for the kind words.
The body work is done on the fender, hood and grill filler panel, all primed and ready for some block sanding. Soon it will be ready for paint and then reassembly.

Attachments

• Cuda Crash 020.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Cuda Crash 021.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 222
  • Cuda Crash 022.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Cuda Crash 023.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Cuda Crash 027.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 205
Almost ready to roll!
The hood, fender and grill filler have all been painted, wet sanded and buffed.
Also had to paint the cowl and leading edge of the driver door where the hood and fender made light contact in the accident. Still waiting on a bumper filler and driver side grill but I will finish assembly of grill filler, bumper and headlight bucket to make it drivable for now.

Attachments

• Cuda Crash 032.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Cuda Crash 031.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Cuda Crash 030.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Cuda Crash 028.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 197
Back together, well almost. All repairs are done, painted,wet sanded and buffed. Still waiting on the filler panel and grill so I hung the bumper temporarily to make it drivable. I'll be adding new headlights and LED turn signals soon so stay tuned.

Attachments

• Cuda Crash 036.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Cuda Crash 035.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 199
  • Cuda Crash 034.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Cuda Crash 033.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 199
Well in this case, let cooler HEAD prevail, it is only a /6.
The old radiator decided to give up on me. The top tank cracked where its attached to the bracket, it had already been repaired there once, so rather than adding another bandaid I decided to go with a new cross flow aluminum radiator. Its a universal fit 22" from Speedway Motors. It came without any brackets so I had a buddy of mine weld on some 2" angle aluminum after I fit them to the core support. I also had him straighten the lower neck, it came out at an angle that would have made putting the lower hose on impossible.
The new rad. did not come with a trans cooler so I added an external cooler mounted on 1/8"x1" aluminum strap that I fabbed up.
Since there is no listing for hoses for a '66 with a cross flow radiator, I went to my local O'Reilly store and the manager let me in the back room and shuffle through the hoses. I took some measurements before I went so I had a pretty good idea what I might need, I walked out with upper and lower hoses and a couple gallons of anti freeze.
The hoses fit like they where made for it, don't know what application these hoses are for but they worked perfectly, sometimes you just get lucky.
Heres some pics of how it all came together.

Attachments

• Cuda Radiator 010.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Cuda Radiator 008.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Cuda Radiator 009.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Cuda Radiator 007.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Cuda Radiator 004.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Cuda Radiator 003.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Cuda Radiator 002.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Cuda Radiator 001.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 131
I did a simple upgrade on the magnum 500's. Made these cool wheel centers to replace the faded originals.

Attachments

• Cuda Radiator 005.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Cuda Radiator 006.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 107
-
Back