The furthest I've drove the car.....

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
....this will make you laugh at my dumb ***. Last September we finally closed on our new place. So I'm driving the ol' Valiant over from the east side of Carthage to the west side of Joplin......as I was leaving the house and I noticed that it was getting harder going in to third gear. As I went threw Carthage I noticed that first gear wasn't going in either.

With all the freaking trailers loaded I didn't have a way to haul it fast and I wasn't going to leave it sit on the side of the road and I had second and fourth though.

With 4:10 that was pretty easy.........any ways I get over to the new place and I noticed that I can't even put the thing in reverse. I'm thinking what the a;sldkfja;ldkfj is going on?

Well....................when I had my shift box redone by Hurst way back when I had them put in some shift stops.......the rear one(which is for all the forward throws) was all the way in the and the front on was almost all the way out. I guess I had forget to tighten the jam nut up.

Anyways what a dumb ***!

It felt good to drive the old thing. Now I'm fighting the center carb it's draining fuel after a few days and fouling my plugs. I've got to get that figured out.

With the 1000's of bolts on a car, one can expect a couple to go south!! Good thing you got there and didn't have to fix/diagnose that on the side of the road!! Now, on to that pesky carb problem... Good luck!! Geof

Drove it round again today, it's got a hesitation too while trying to accelerate. So.....I got a lot to learn trying to tune this six pack. I can really see why most people don't like them, but I'm stubborn I guess.

I keep thinking I'd like that set up on my gtx, but from what I've heard think I'll just stick with the four barrel. I'm not a carb tuner.

With the 1000's of bolts on a car, one can expect a couple to go south!! Good thing you got there and didn't have to fix/diagnose that on the side of the road!! Now, on to that pesky carb problem... Good luck!! Geof

You are absolutely correct.....There are four bolts in this car that I haven't turned and those are the K-member bolts.

Pretty car.You made it this far, Fine tuning drives most people batty .

Hesitation when you try to drive off normally from a stop? If so, you probably need to make a squirter adjustment to the center carb...the only one that has squirters in it. Make sure it squirts gas into the barrels as soon as you tip the throttle and make sure it's a good solid squirt from both sides. If it's not doing that, you found your problem. If it's squirting good, try bumping your timing up a little and see if that helps. Most set the timing up by the book and well, 'book' timing usually sucks...and it you could possibly have the timing too retarded and a squirter problem.

Possible problem on carb draining....saw the same thing on a friends car, it was a six pak setup also, drove him crazy...turned out to be a small casting flaw in the carb that was allowing the fuel to seep over a period of a couple days

Thanks guys, I'm running a 33 squinter and it does the hesitation/stumble while driving. I should say that this is happening while normal driving. I'm just running around on the center carb with linkage hooked up while the vacuum side is disconnected.

I have a promax metering plate and I thinking about trying to use the stock metering plate. It's just the center carb that's giving me trouble as far as draining goes.

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0601_holley_accelerator_pump_adjustment/viewall.html

With what you guys wrote and what I just read here.......maybe I need to learn how to adjust this stuff.......maybe my problem lies here? Cause this stuff as been changed. I'm running the pink cam....... so back to troubleshooting.

Again guys....thanks.

Possible problem on carb draining....saw the same thing on a friends car, it was a six pak setup also, drove him crazy...turned out to be a small casting flaw in the carb that was allowing the fuel to seep over a period of a couple days

Do you remember where this was in the carb?

Great to here you got her out on the road. That is an awesome car. Sounds simple lee but how old is your fuel. Degraded fuel quality could be the culprit. Today's fuels will also degrade plain rubber fuel lines from inside out in a heartbeat.

Oldschoolcuda

Also check you PCV valve to make sure it has a good fit in the grommet. If it's leaking, it can cause an issue....

Also check you PCV valve to make sure it has a good fit in the grommet. If it's leaking, it can cause an issue....

Hmm, I test this by unplugging it completely. The outboards are good as far as idle...you put you fingers of the holes and doesn't change state. I don't have too much curb idle cause I have full control over the idle mixture screws.

I'm going to try and work on it some more this weekend.

Great to here you got her out on the road. That is an awesome car. Sounds simple lee but how old is your fuel. Degraded fuel quality could be the culprit. Today's fuels will also degrade plain rubber fuel lines from inside out in a heartbeat.

Oldschoolcuda

The fuel isn't too old a couple of months.

-
Back