The "Good old Days"

-

ir3333

Reaction score
i remember the "ice man" coming twice a week...we had no fridge.
......what can you recall about the "good old days" ?

Making butter in a churn on the front porch with my Grandmother in Idaho.
Calling my Uncles house with a crank style phone that only called there because that was the only place the wire went.
Taking a bath in a galvanized tub in the kitchen using the wood stove to heat water.
(If the curtain to the kitchen was closed it meant there was probably someone naked in there)

Watching Car 54 where are you in black and white.

How about a kitchen stove that burned sawdust(you had to fill a big hopper on the side of it everyday or more)? Or a two holer out back stocked with Eatons catalogues or old newspapers?

I wish the good ole days were still here but they're just a memory now!....I remember always dropping 2 hits of blotter acid (LSD) or purple micro-dot or strawberry mescaline, whatever was around at the time, smoking doobies and drinking Miller High Life or, if I was a little wild, ole Jack Daniels....The Hashish was excellent too back then and smoking TJ's (Crystal T rolled up in a joint)...Man, those were the good ole days for sure!....And tearing up the streets in my '69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 383 4 speed, 3.91 sure grip...I had three '69 383 Roadrunners back in the 70's, all with 4 speeds and deep gears....I remember being stoned on Crystal T that I could actually hear and feel the gears rolling in the rear end and it felt that I was actually hovering rather than rolling down the road in my Roadrunner!....Now, I still smoke doobies but it's just not the same like the good ole days!

I remember the Ice man. I also remember when doctors made house calls, for less than $5.00, and when the milk man brought non-homogenized milk (with the cream on top).
I remember a number of other tradesman and peddlers, too.

When I was VERY young the Ice man actually used a horse drawn wagon to deliver ice. He never had to get on the wagon, either. The horse knew the route, and would continue to walk and turn corners at a slow rate while the ice man would go from the wagon to people's homes to deliver the ice.
I remember the ice man complaining when he was given an Divco truck (stand up drive). that meant he had to continuously move the vehicle through the neighborhood himself, while making the deliveries.

OldAdvertisement_of_a_Divco_from%20_1950_or_1951.jpg

I do remember the milkman leaving bottles on the back step. No ice man though.

We did not have a ice man come to our house.But I can remember going all day and all night as a kid and did not have all the things to be afraid of like kids do now.Would be nice if kids could be like that now.

Hmmm....lessie. Getting called "one eyed jack" by the bully up the street after I was attacked by a bobcat at 8 and lost my left eye.

Being made fun of by everyone in grammar school including teachers because I had to wear a conformer in my eye socket......a clouded plastic disc with two holes in the front to shape the eye socket for a prosthesis.

Then after finally getting my first artificial eye and just knowing my troubles were over, again being made fun of by everyone in school because my eyes were not perfect.

Finally when I was 17 I got my first "custom eye" which is made off the eye socket itself. While a better fit, I was still persecuted all through high school because my eyes were still not perfect. Girls? What are those?

No, there were no good old days for me. Now that I am older I just don't give a **** about what anybody thinks.

how about gasoline at 50 cents a gallon
going outside and turning your tv antennae
3 digit phone numbers
small towns having 1 Cop

I still turn our tv antenna.

My Mom's parents had no running water until I was in Jr High, and for a few years an ice box instead of a fridge. "Grandad" used to have a tub and canvas bag, and "ice tongs" in the trunk of the car to carry ice home.

Their two sisters, ( my Aunt and my Mom ) and Dad, bought them their first 'lectric fridge

When we were kids, even after we had the deep well, water was a priority. You did NOT take long showers with the water running.

Before we got a "hot water tank," The kitchen range had a side attachment called a "trash burner."

Sort of like this, except all one piece

oldstove.jpg

Now this had hot water coils in the wood burner, which heated water in a tank for kitchen dishes.

Now the BATHROOM hot water was a real "thing of beauty." This was a system built by my Grandpa when he owned the house. This was a small pot bellied stove in the basement, again with water coils, and a tank in the bathroom closet. But Gramps had built a convection plenum around the stove, ducted up to the bathroom, so the heat ALSO heated the bathroom, a very necessary "deal" on cold winter nights!!!!!

Back then the house was heated by wood heater in the living room, and only on the coldest of winter nights did we light up the "upstairs" pot belly stove.

When I was in Jr hi, my Dad installed a (used!!!) coal furnace stoker, after I joined the Navy he went oil for a few years, and finally, could get hooked up to the high pressure nat. gas line "out front" sometime in the '70's

I'm old enough to remember Dad owning a couple of different model A Fords, and I've told some of you about getting into trouble.........investigating "that little man with the lantern" who was "in the headlamps." If you look carefully, you can see I'm REAL unhappy, and one headlamp is broken!!!!

jgtw7k.jpg

Our family tractor for years and YEARS. This is a MAN'S tractor. I used to clamp my legs around the steering wheel to keep from losing the thing. This was a sad day......when I DROVE it onto this trailer to be sold.

14aykxz.jpg

"Making hay" ........loose, not baled

Riding a dump rake...........First few years before Dad got an old "side delivery" I was so small and young I didn't have enough strength to hold the lock pedal down on the rake. It had a "D" shaped pedal, and I used to jam a stick of wood in there and put my foot on that to get more leverage!!!

The way these work is, you had one pedal to lock down the tines, and another which "tripped" the mechanism......engaged mechanical dogs in the wheels which rotated the rake up and "dumped." You rode around the field, and dumped periodically, then rod around inside that first circle, and dumped each succeeding load "in line" with the previous, making a "windrow"

Before we got the hated "hay loader" .......which worked you to death......

JDhayloader.jpg

You would after making "windrows" then run down the line of windrow, "bunching" the hay into large piles. This was tough, as the "dump" mechanism wanted to "kick" up. I used to stand on the hold down pedal with both feed

Not ours, doesn't THIS look silly, LOL

32-30.jpg

This looks a lot like our old side delivery, originally horse drawn.....the steel wheels had dogs in the hubs which drove the rake mechanism

CASE_rake_01.jpg

Buzzing wood. Dad had a nice buzzsaw on the front of the tractor, but NO GUARD. I used to "throw away" into the trailer/ pickup.

similar to this........

IHsuperH1953SP05.jpg

hand milking cows.........

chopping/ splitting / carrying wood...........

fussing with the old Farmall to plow snow in the winter............

re-priming the well pump because someone got careless with water use...........

so many blankets on the bed they weigh as much as you, LOL

the wind WHINING through the twisted TV feedline coming down the side of the house.........

Coyotes and cats SCREAMING in the night air

Mowing the lawn...........a push mower, and a smoky old 2 stroke "Clinton" engine......

Real similar to this, .........now........take a GOOD look at that spark plug. Many times, you push "that thing" under a bush or shrub, and the circuit path becomes like a'so..........

From the spark plug to the bush.............to the ground...........to your feet.........through your body........to your hands..........to the METAL handlebar.........to the engine block.!!!!!!!

mqdefault.jpg

Still remember "Gramps" first welder, bought by my Uncle and Dad for Gramps for Christmas when I was about 4 or 5. This was a Lincoln 180A buzzbox, looked just like the newer "tombstone" welders except instead of a switch, it had jacks and plugs to select the heat. I've never found a photo of it.

I remember there was a lot more freedom while at the same time people had higher standards of polite behavior. Our milkman Mr. Grubbs liked kids, sometimes he'd let us ride in the truck with him which was cool because a sign on the truck said 'no riders.'

I never even heard the 'F-word' til I was about 9 when soldiers started returning from Vietnam; it was such a bad word it scared me to even hear it.

Adults were authority figures, addressed as Mr. or Mrs., and should you be at all disrespectful you were corrected.

Also, people didn't judge your family by status symbols. No one cared about granite countertops or keeping up with the latest style in furniture.

How about the fact that, I guess if you had a phone, you actually memorized people's numbers! Now I think most of us depend on our cell phones, hence our memorization skills are lacking.

I remember $.35 gasoline, party lines (not the same thing as a party line today!), leaving home on my bicycle at 4am to go fishing and not coming home til 9pm, and not being in trouble for it. I remember riding in my parents car up on the shelf near the rear window and looking up at the stars. Working after school for $.75 per hour. I used to go to work with my dad before school, my dad was the milk man, I would run the milk up to the houses and drop it off there in the milk boxes. He did the driving! I rode my dirt bike every chance I got and could fill the tank with some pocket change. I remember watching the film in grade school showing us how to hide under our desks in case of an air raid.

The good ole days, most were, some weren't. :coffee2:

I remember having a hole in the ground with a bucket inside with a lid. We would throw our food scraps in there. Then the local pig farmer would come by and collect the scraps.

First I was old enough to become very aware of gasoline was somewhere in the 20-25 cent a gallon range, about 1965. There used to be "gas price wars" at the Newport, WA / Oldtown ID border

In 1966 when I got back from Nam, Socal had "gas wars" and I remember gasoline for twelve cents a gal!
Barely paid the TAX!

Of course that was for leaded regular.

cudamike13 = old fart and proud of it!

First I was old enough to become very aware of gasoline was somewhere in the 20-25 cent a gallon range, about 1965. There used to be "gas price wars" at the Newport, WA / Oldtown ID border

Me too, I can remember Dad pullin' up to the pump at the FULL service station, get the oil checked, wash the winder and top off the tank in his 56 Chevy for 5 bucks.

There are stations in Milledgeville, close to here that still do the gas war thing.

-
Back