The great paint debate

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We were shooting the **** today about 340 engine colour and one of my friends said that 1970 were orange and 71 were blue. I showed him my 71 intake and it is definitely orange from the factory. That’s the only part I have left if my 71 duster. What does fabo say. As u can see I painted it white at one time. Kim

9ABDDD22-02B2-4F58-B99A-262A9849CF7D.jpeg

664F87C6-7A93-4CCC-AEED-4A6025B62841.jpeg

521606EE-42CE-4DC1-B949-21570A10E4A7.jpeg

9E2AB250-95FE-48DA-A7BD-A3EE9E5A5660.jpeg

7A4141F5-FD14-40DB-A240-5827AC18077A.jpeg

3E453DEA-1B1D-4A15-AFB1-08DAEAC9FD0C.jpeg

Results may vary as nothing is carved in stone especially with Ma MoPar.
Disregard the engine color for 69 340's as these were Red and Turquoise and possibly blue.
eng-colors.jpg

You are both right.

But the missing detail is that it was a mid-model year change, sometime around the spring of 1971 - they switched from orange to blue.

You are both right.

But the missing detail is that it was a mid-model year change, sometime around the spring of 1971 - they switched from orange to blue.

Alaskan_TA. You typically are always spot on. My 72 Demon 340 with a Nov 1971 built date has an Orange 340 with a steel crank in it. All factory 50k car. Could their be exceptions?

You are both right.

Why do they do that? I see no reason for changing something like engine paint colors mid year. Improvements, yes! Different brand / type of parts due to supply issues, yes. But, "Hey, let's change the color of the 340 for the rest of the year" makes no sense.

By 1970, the little 340's were all painted street Hemi Orange. The Hot Rod rags loved 'em. The 1970 through early 1971 340's were all Street Hemi Orange, to cash in on the 426 Hemi's performance. The 1968-1971 340's were no slouches, serious competition for the GM's and Fords. Mopar's most glorious years, in my opinion. As the owner of a build sheet, numbers matching 1970 Swinger 340, I admit my view is a bit biased.

My 71 Duster, 340 4 speed was Orange. Long gone, except the 340 and no clue whether it was early or late.

I have seen Blue mid year 71 and orange in later year of 71. I always wondered myself when the change took place. My cars were both late builds and the engines were all 4 were orange. 2 Duster and 2 Demons. The The only blue 71's I have seen were Demons never a Duster . Yet! But I am sure there are some out there. I believe they were out of orange paint on some days. Or just a screw up.

I painted for Mack trucks on the cab line. The one day the paint hoses were mixed up and while I was spraying the one side of the cab white my partner was spraying the other side Red. It wasn't until we were spraying the roof we noticed. So that said the blue motors could have been thought to be 318's. All I know 71's don't look right when they are Blue with a black breather. If I had a blue 340 in a 71 I would paint it orange

I thought I read somewhere that the colour change coincided with the factory change??

True.

The 340s manufactured at the Windsor engine plant were painted orange. (W on the front of the block in the engine serial number for the engine assembly plant)

When the 340 engine manufacturing moved to Mound Road the engines were painted blue. (M on the front of the block in the engine serial number for the engine assembly plant)

An exception was also mentioned, Chrysler did not have a 'first in, first out' inventory system, so if orange engines were on site ready to go and a new shipment of blue engines showed up, the new shipment would have blocked access to the engine assemblies in the back. As 340 cars were built, when they got back to the older inventory they used it.

Homework assignment;

For those of you with 1971 340s - What engine assembly plant is indicated on the front of your block (W or M) and what is the original color of your engine?

I have many 340's here I will go look for the M or W. None of My 340's were blue. From what I recall all Mound Road engines had a decal on the left valve cover stating "Assembled at Mound Road"

All 71 340 cars that I’ve seen had the orange engine. Also the ones I’ve owned or checked had the W. I don’t recall seeing a M. But I’m in Canada so I suspect that may be why. Kim

Oldmannopar I'm hurt! Mine is a blue engine, and I've always painted all my engines orange, and now I paint mine the correct blue, and convince myself it looks good cause the car is orange, and u hurt my feelings? LOL

Steve, Yeah we've bought parts off of you several times through the years. I'm keeping as much original as possible. Just got it on the road about a year ago. Finally enjoying it.

I do not know Jeff Powers.

I cannot put a face to the car. You have to stop up with it one day when your up this way. What did you buy from me ? Jeff ia a great mopar guy for many years. He lives on 313

Oldmannopar I'm hurt! Mine is a blue engine, and I've always painted all my engines orange, and now I paint mine the correct blue, and convince myself it looks good cause the car is orange, and u hurt my feelings? LOL
As original as your car is I would have kept it the way it came. I did not know or remember your engine was Blue. I have a couple extra cans of orange if you need some. LOL. I guess the orange just grew on me over the years.

I painted for Mack trucks on the cab line. The one day the paint hoses were mixed up and while I was spraying the one side of the cab white my partner was spraying the other side Red. It wasn't until we were spraying the roof we noticed.....
I knew a guy that had a factory Redline BMX bike painted like that, left side was white and the right side was red with the forks painted the other way, looked awesome! Should have kept it with a fade or a hard line right down the center. Damn, now I got to rethink my BMX paint scheme again...was gonna do it olive drab.

Had 3 340's. 68 was red, the other 2 I painted orange. iirc one was red and one was orange.

I knew a guy that had a factory Redline BMX bike painted like that, left side was white and the right side was red with the forks painted the other way, looked awesome! Should have kept it with a fade or a hard line right down the center. Damn, now I got to rethink my BMX paint scheme again...was gonna do it olive drab.

Had 3 340's. 68 was red, the other 2 I painted orange. iirc one was red and one was orange.

The correct color on that truck was suppose to be white. I helped my partner spray the white over the red before it left the booth and on its way to the oven, When it came out of the oven to the cab line half the cab was bright pink. It was the talk of the assembly line.

You would have to picture the oven it was up above the booth so when they come out they are the highest thing in the plant hanging on the hooks in a row for everyone to see. They built the truck and it went fo Change over for a repaint. So it went the full distance on the assembly line.

I cannot put a face to the car. You have to stop up with it one day when your up this way. What did you buy from me ? Jeff ia a great mopar guy for many years. He lives on 313
The most recent thing was a purple deck lid. Picked up some hp exhaust manifolds and lots of little parts. I'm the guy with the 71-demon tag on the truck. I'll have to come up with it as my buddy wants your son to build a motor for him.

-
Back