The Hay Day

-
The link for the pic is on a (must be logged in) part of AOL.

Fail. You need to save the photo to a file on your phone or computer and send it here from there.

For me, it shows as “” and if I click it, try to open it up, it says “You are no longer logged onto AOL... etc...”

You need to “save” the image into your computer and then post it here.

Tried that, no success. It was just some goofy chit about Mr Norm and Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago from the 60s.

Was it this?

Mr Norm.jpg

I grew up in the Chicago area. In the late 60s early 70s Mr. Norms used to have ads on late night radio, sounded kinda like the loud, pounding dragstrip ads from that time period.

Norm also used to advertise regularly in the car mags, like the ad that's the subject of this post. I have a Jan. 72 copy of Super Stock & Drag Illustrated that has an ad for a supercharged 72 Demon GSS, for $3695. There is also a writeup about the Demon inside and it's on the cover as well.

If you want to see what one of these Demons looks like, go to the car show and event section on here and look at the thread for the MCACN 2017 show, there's a couple pictures of one.

Last edited:
I grew up in the Chicago area. In the late 60s early 70s Mr. Norms used to have ads on late night radio, sounded kinda like the loud, pounding dragstrip ads from that time period.

Norm also used to advertise regularly in the car mags, like the ad that's the subject of this post. I have a Jan. 72 copy of Super Stock & Drag Illustrated that has an ad for a supercharged 72 Demon GSS, for $3695. There is also a writeup about the Demon inside and it's on the cover as well.

If you want to see what one of these Demons looks like, go to the car show and event section on here and look at the thread for the MCACN 2017 show, there's a couple pictures of one.

The things we remember :lol: I was raised in SoCal, a very remote part of SoCal. FM radio was not an option there unless you had your receiver hooked up to the TV cable. AM radio was limited, at least what I considered to be entertaining. One station from over the hill, hill being Cajon Pass, played rock we could get on AM and they had those same BOOMING ads for Orange County Int. Raceway and Irwindale Raceway. "Saturday night .. OCIR .. BE THERE!!". I can still hear that radio voice beckoning me to get a nitro fix. :rofl:

In the 60s early 70s the only music on FM was classical, all the rock was on AM. Chicago had two powerful AM rock stations, WLS and WCFL, the signal reached out hundreds of miles.

One of the Chicago radio DJs once made the comment that if you were shopping for a used car, and the radio push buttons were set for WLS and WCFL that the transmission was probably shot

95.5 KLOS
Little bit o' heaven 94.7 KMET .. Tweedle EEEE
105.5 ... 105.5% Pure Rock .. cant remember the call letters on that one
I was going back to my desert home on a Friday afternoon, there was one spot near Palmdale I could get KMET once on that side of the mountains. I'm rockin along in the first vintage Toyota 4x4 pickup, KMET is blastin on the FM mono radio. The music stops and an announcement begins, "Thank you for listening to the Mighty Met KMET radio. We are changing our format to smooth jazz". Heart break city. Whenever I take Pearblossom Hwy, I remember where they killed KMET. J.J. Jackson from the early MTV days was on KLOS in my teens. God help us, Mark and Brian started on KLOS I think. In their beginnings they played more music than spent time talking. Funny, KTYD in Santa Barbara is strikingly similar to the 70s KLOS format. How did I get from Mr Norm's to 70s radio? :rofl:

In the 60s early 70s the only music on FM was classical, all the rock was on AM. Chicago had two powerful AM rock stations, WLS and WCFL, the signal reached out hundreds of miles.

One of the Chicago radio DJs once made the comment that if you were shopping for a used car, and the radio push buttons were set for WLS and WCFL that the transmission was probably shot

Lived in Lake Geneva Wi about 100 north of Chicago. WLS and Dick Biondi every night.

Back when I was a kid in SW Ga we could pick up Chi goes WLS seems like on clear nights (in winter maybe???).. It was actually a treat to pick it up on car radio!!

But kids today would be amazed at what we called a treat back in the day!! ha

WLS and WCFL were considered "clear channel" stations which I believe means they were the only one on the frequency they used, so they were allowed a higher wattage. In '73 I went on a trip to Reno from Chicago. We were well into Neb. before we lost the signal from WLS.

The weather does have an effect on how far a signal can go. I think cold and clear will do it, but so will foggy conditions. I can remember two times where it was foggy out, one in Chicago while riding around in a friends 57 Chev and dialing the radio around and came up with a strong signal from Boston.
Another time on a camping trip in Wis. and again came up with Boston on a portable radio. Maybe the Boston station was a clear channel too.

WLS and WCFL were considered "clear channel" stations which I believe means they were the only one on the frequency they used, so they were allowed a higher wattage. In '73 I went on a trip to Reno from Chicago. We were well into Neb. before we lost the signal from WLS.

The weather does have an effect on how far a signal can go. I think cold and clear will do it, but so will foggy conditions. I can remember two times where it was foggy out, one in Chicago while riding around in a friends 57 Chev and dialing the radio around and came up with a strong signal from Boston.
Another time on a camping trip in Wis. and again came up with Boston on a portable radio. Maybe the Boston station was a clear channel too.
I think the term for that is skip. Not quite sure how it works. Sure someone here can explain it.

Picked up one of those two one night in Rapid City, S. Dakota on top of a ridge. Clear view, no obstructions to the east. Think it is somewhere around 850 miles.

Picking up WLS in Dawson Ga. 1966, Distance to Chicago I guess is bout 1100-1200 miles!!!! Could be less today. You know, considering weather change/global warming!

-
Back