"The Journey of My 72 Duster"...

-

HawaiiDuster

Reaction score
I should just call it my PITA. Since I finally decided to ship my Duster from Hawaii, I dropped my original numbers matching 340 off at a machine shop here in Vegas. I figured if the car was coming up here I might at well put the original block back in it. While trying to finalize the shipping arrangements and get a booking number, the shipping company (Pasha) says I will need the title and the current registration. I send them a message letting them know the car hasn't been registered in 20yrs. They say I need a "permit to ship" from the DMV. After trying to get someone from DMV on the phone for over three hours, they tell me there's no such a document. I was hard enough just trying to communicate with this person (she didn't have a very good grasp of the english language and had a heavy accent), I kept trying to explain to her that Pasha said it was a document required by the state not Pasha but she still didn't get it. I had to explain to her over and over that my wasn't coming into Hawaii but leaving Hawaii. The same thing when I tried to tell her it hadn't been registered for over 20 yrs. I feel like I'm back where I started 6 years ago. I don't plan on spending $5k+ to stick the car in a container to get it over here, thats why I hadn't shipped it before. For $1222 I thought that was a good deal to have a numbers matching 72 340 Duster up here.

Sorry I had to vent, I was happy when I dropped my block off today because I thought everything was on track for me to be back together again with my Duster. Well we'll see what happens, I fly back to Hawaii in a couple weeks to try and get it over here. I'll continue with getting the engine together and see what happens. Maybe I should stick this in it.....

Attachments

• IMG_52491.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_52471.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 402
Seeing this reminded me of something I have never understood.......Hawai has interstate highways does it not??? Why??? :dontknow:

good luck with all that. and we need more pictures!

Really don't have many yet. The first pic is from 7 yrs ago before I left for Vegas. The second pic is some of the front suspension parts I put before I moved. The third I how it looked when I got home in June. Before I returned to Vegas I put an engine and trans in it, put the steering column back in, hung the fenders and the rest of the frontend sheetmetal. I didn't get pics of that though. When I go back I'll take more pics before it goes on the boat....if I get the paperwork to get it on the boatdisgust

Attachments

• df4.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC01637.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_7383.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 384
Got into Hawaii this morning and went down to the satellite city hall (dmv in Hawaii) to try and sort out this stupid problem with the state statute that covers shipping a car out of the state. After two and a half hours there a very nice and sympathetic clerk said she didn't understand why the system was so messed up, so she made me a duplicate of the last registration and stamped it as being in storage. This should satisfy the "current registration" requirement to ship my car. She had to call the records dept to get the microfische copy and actually manually type a registration since my car hasn't been in the "system" for so long. I actually had great service from this govenment employee, which is a shock these days. I thanked her and told what a great help she had been. If I new it would have gone this smooth, I wouldn't have spent countless hours on the phone this past 2 weeks with everyone from the motor vehicle registration dept, Attorney Generals Offices (yes more than one of them) and all the way to the Govenors office. And would you believe no one could figure out why the statute was written the way it was and how to get around it. But this "lowly" little clerk did.

Now I feel alot better since I also got my numbers matching block out of the machine shot yesterday before I pack to leave.

OMG a state worker with a head on her shoulders you are a lucky man. I hope all will work out for you and believe it or not some state employees do work hard to try to help us glad you got one.

OMG a state worker with a head on her shoulders you are a lucky man. I hope all will work out for you and believe it or not some state employees do work hard to try to help us glad you got one.
Everyone better get her help while they can as she won't be there long. A civil servant that will help you? Naw, we can't have that! Makes the rest of them look bad so the union will put a stop to that. :) Glad you got it sorted out Craig. Will it be ready for MATS next year?

Hopefully it will be drivable by MATS, but I'm usually busy running around with the van so I probably won't be able to have it there. Might be able to just drop it off when we're setting up so its there to play with if I have some free time.

I'm glad to see you got it all sorted out. When will it arrive?

Well the shipping company approved the paperwork so now I just gotta get ready to drop off at the processing center. Should be in California by the end of the month :blob:

Well got the grill and bumper on, and all the junk taken out of it. Just making sure the tires hold air and its off the the processing station tomorrow to get it inspected by the shipping company. Once thats done its on the boat. It'll be a load off my mind once it gets dropped off at the docks. I did find a couple sets of M/T aluminum valve covers and a set of what looks like cal customs. Been finding all sorts of stuff while cleaning up. Even found a few sets of 4spd pedals, one for a 65 that was going into my 65 Signet before I got rid of it. Amazing what you find when you clean up :D

Attachments

• IMG_1249.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 245
If you were lucky enough to find a gov. clerk to actually help-- ever think of investing heavily in the lottery? JK- that's a hard dore way to do it- Kudos to you and good luck!

Well I got the car picked up, inspected, and dropped off at the dock. Hopefully in a few weeks she'll be in San Diego in the same shape as I left her.

Attachments

• IMG_1351.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1346.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1311.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 205
It's coming here instead of Long Beach or San Pedro? That seems kinda strange. Is it staying in the container and getting trucked over?

If it were Matson then I would be picking it up at Long Beach/San Pedro. Pasha ships into San Diego. I haven't been to San Diego in years so it'll be a nice change.

PM me where you're at and I just might do that. Haven't decided if I'm gonna get a room and do an overnighter or just drive out in the morning and head right back to Vegas.

Yeah, driving at 85 going to Vegas.....it's hard to drive 60 elsewhere! :burnout: PM sent

The Duster is finally in Vegas :blob: Left Vegas at midnight on Monday so I would miss the traffic since I had to be back in Vegas for a photoshoot at 4am Wednesday. Was to excited about getting the car loaded that I forgot to get picks until it was in the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_1631.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1637.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 143
-
Back