The LA Motor "Block"

-
One Man’s opinion, even though it’s Bob Glidden, it comes down to what Mr. Micrometer says, and your confidence level. I own one of Bob Glidden old Pro-Stock small block Mopar’s “and yes it’s complete” and you would be surprised what he did to that engine. Here is just one of the things he did. “he cut out the lifter girdle and changed the angle of the lifters to stop them from chucking of pushrods and installed a custom cam. And NO, I do not want to sell it, and I will never race it, but it is really cool.” And yes there is an unbelievable and unimaginable use of filler and epoxy used in the heads, just saying. Ok, back to the subject. It is true that with the heavy nickel content in mopar blocks it is probably not needed, the key word here is probably, lol. When you have Bob’s money you can take those chances, but I don’t have Bob’s money. With what I do to these engines I need to dot every “I” and cross every “T” I need to have confidence it will hold together at 180 mph and 8500 rpm. And what Bob said was “ you normally don’t have to line hone an engine, but you always need to be checked” that is the quote I saw.

One Man’s opinion, even though it’s Bob Glidden, it comes down to what Mr. Micrometer says, and your confidence level. I own one of Bob Glidden old Pro-Stock small block Mopar’s “and yes it’s complete” and you would be surprised what he did to that engine. Here is just one of the things he did. “he cut out the lifter girdle and changed the angle of the lifters to stop them from chucking of pushrods and installed a custom cam. And NO, I do not want to sell it, and I will never race it, but it is really cool.” And yes there is an unbelievable and unimaginable use of filler and epoxy used in the heads, just saying. Ok, back to the subject. It is true that with the heavy nickel content in mopar blocks it is probably not needed, the key word here is probably, lol. When you have Bob’s money you can take those chances, but I don’t have Bob’s money. With what I do to these engines I need to dot every “I” and cross every “T” I need to have confidence it will hold together at 180 mph and 8500 rpm. And what Bob said was “ you normally don’t have to line hone an engine, but you always need to be checked” that is the quote I saw.

I wish you would post some images of the fancy work on the Glidden small block if possible ? Thanks Red B.

I wish you would post some images of the fancy work on the Glidden small block if possible ? Thanks Red B.

There are images of that stuff on the web. Most of it was shown in magazines back in the day. Gentillozi and a couple of others were changing the lifter bank angle back in the day. McCandless maybe was another.

With today’s springs, pushrods and lifters you can do 8500 RPM RELATIVELY reliably on the 59 degree lifter bank angle.

Be prepared to do a ton of work to make real power that high and the valve train maintenance will keep two people pretty busy.

-
Back