The last F&%ing manifold bolt!

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have one last manifold bold to get out, what's the best way to get out a tough one?

Attachments

• manibolt.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 425
lil bit of heat then chisel or pound a smaller size 6 point socket on it, Newest socket you have not a worn out one.
Also if you can get a nut driver in there use that too

If you rounded the bolt that badly trying to break it loose, let if soak in penetrating lube for a couple of days- give it a good soak and gently smack it with a hammer (just to set up vibrations so penetrant can soak into threads) every day for a couple days, then go the drive a socket on it route and back it out. If you twist it off, you'll learn a whole lot of new expletives (trust me on this one...lol)

Weld nut to head of bolt soak it penetrating oil over night take next day. Soak in penetrating oil while bolt is hot from welding on nut.

Had a similiar problem with the rear driver's side header bolt. I hit it with penetrating oil, tapped it with a hammer and socket extension...nothing. Next heated it with a torch, then sprayed more penetrating oil as it cooled...the 12 point combo wrench (no room for a socket) started rounding off the head of the bolt. Picked up a 6 point combo wrench...heated the bolt with a torch again, spray penetrating oil, then was able to break it loose. Needed to use a piece of square pipe over the combo wrench for leverage but got her loose. Note: this bolt was hit, heated and soaked with penetrating oil for 2 weeks before it finally gave in to me. Good luck and do not force it, definitely do not want to break that bolt off.

Pat

Might want to warn the neighbors to cover there kids ears.....

Might want to warn the neighbors to cover there kids ears.....

LOL!!...True inkjunkie. Luckily my kids were not out in the garage helping me when I started rounding off the bolt. They might have learned a few new words. :eek:ops:

Where I grew up the guy across the street had these really nicely maintained hedges. Any fastener that got boogered up up ended up in his hedge......by the time I moved out there was probably enough hardware to put together half a car......

Why are you taking the manifold off? If its a valve job or rebuild cut the head off and let the machine shop worry about it

weld a nut on it after it cools use a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone for penetrating oil. Then wrench it out

I bought a cheap set of those sockets that grab rounded heads. They work awesome. Kind of like an inside out easyout.

Why are you taking the manifold off? If its a valve job or rebuild cut the head off and let the machine shop worry about it
The manifold is coming off a nice running 84 truck 360 that eventually go in my 74 Duster project.
Just pullin of the the truck manifolds, water pump, valve covers and other bolt-on stuff so I can keep on a cleaning the the motor and get it ready for new paint and the new bolt-ons

If you rounded the bolt that badly trying to break it loose, let if soak in penetrating lube for a couple of days- give it a good soak and gently smack it with a hammer (just to set up vibrations so penetrant can soak into threads) every day for a couple days, then go the drive a socket on it route and back it out. If you twist it off, you'll learn a whole lot of new expletives (trust me on this one...lol)
The owner of the truck the motor came out of had the honors mangling most of the manifold bolts.
Thanks for the suggestions...the most common is to patient and work it over time.

Cut the head off, pull the manifold; now you can get to the meat.

I agree with this!

Use a dremel if you can't get a 4" cutting wheel in there. Then you'll have a long stub to work with and can concentrate heat right at the source, head/bolt junction, not an inch or two up the bolt.

Weld a nut on the remainder and get after it.

Cut the head off, pull the manifold; now you can get to the meat.

X3!

If you don't want to risk maring the manifold, use a 5/16" Drill bit to behead it that way. You need a right angle drill. But then again, that's like a must have tool for Mopar, with their soft as cheese fasteners.

X3!

If you don't want to risk maring the manifold, use a 5/16" Drill bit to behead it that way. You need a right angle drill. But then again, that's like a must have tool for Mopar, with their soft as cheese fasteners.
The motor is from an 84 pickup and its on a stand, I've been soaking and beating on it........I think tomorrow's the day.....

I had to cut the head of bolt off and removed manifold. I then ground the bolt almost flush and then drilled it out using a series of bits until I was allmost to the threads, i then used a starter tap and removed what was left. then chased the threads! I did this with engine on a stand never removing the head from engine!

The motor is from an 84 pickup and its on a stand, I've been soaking and beating on it........I think tomorrow's the day.....

remove the manifold studs on the front and the rear and use the manifold as a wrench to turn the bolt loose (since the bolt usually only seizes to the manifold), if it breaks loose then all you have to do is get it unseized from the manifold or at this point it will turn out easy cut it off and turn it out with vise grips

-
Back