The LAST time I raced a Subaru....

-
Along with my Mopars the stable is shared with a2007 WRX. It's a fun little car. For a car that is supposed to be a "fast" car it leaves quite a bit to be desired. My Mopars don't even have to breathe hard to beat it. A good friend has a stock STI and even it is no match for a decently prepared v8 Mopar. A properly prepped WRX or STI can put out some decent power but very few of those with the fart can muffler are actually decently built. Fast or not get they are just plain fun little cars...and I guess they do show how superior the vintage muscle is in some areas!

Mad dart, he is a guy that lost someone to a race.

A properly prepped WRX or STI can put out some decent power but very few of those with the fart can muffler are actually decently built

Agree 100 percent, To proper build one to say 500 plus awhp safely takes 10-20k engine work alone. That being with header, full exhaust, good turbo, piston, rods, head work, fuel pump, injectors, front mount intercooler, wastegate, boost controller, tune, 1500 dollar plus clutch. Wish people knew went a properly prepped sti.. its not just jam a few parts on.

That being said No way would I personally spend 35k plus for a new sti/evo/what ever import, 20k in motor, plus w/e other mods. Be way better off and cheaper to go with old school muscle and way simpler. I obtained my car from someone passing away and like to try to open peoples eyes to something new with the car, I know it did for me. Look at the toyota swapped straight 6 on this forum.

I have been a Mopar guy from birth. I am (slowly) working on what will be my son's first car a 74 Swinger. I like the car and it has heaps of potential. I have an 04 WRX, before that I lived in Japan and drove EVOs. It is a totally different type of driving. If someone wanted to street/strip race a V8 and a car that is geared and built for rally racing, that is like comparing apples and xboxes. I can tell you that there have been occasions that if I was driving a RWD V8 during certain times/speeds/conditions, I would not be here typing on this forum. AWD has saved my life.

A Subaru is a Subaru. I don't care if it's 1000 hp and can blast off to the moon. It's still a Subaru - and not every one is a WRX. Don't think for a minute that those "super-tuners" motors don't go "BOOM" and scatter like a loose stool.
Just about any muscle car has waaaay more styling appeal.

I agree. I was just chiming in because another member mentioned racing one.

As mentioned above, classic cars and Subarus do not compare to one another. Stop and think what goes through you mind when you see an old Mopar....Wow! Sweet (whatever model), very cool! Then you probably give the guy a thumbs up. When a Subaru goes by you go, "Ho hum, another one of those modern....whatever...."
The older cars have so much more "cool factor" no matter how fast they can go.

My wife loves to go with me to an old wrecking yard and look at the old rusty skeletons and admire the lines and chrome. She likes the fact that you can tell one model from another half a mile away because they have styling lines, and she says that all of the modern cars look like they came from the same assembly line no matter what manufacturer, especially the Asian stuff.

I know what you mean. I work at a shop that specializes in EVO's and Suby's. We even have a Dynojet Dyno. These kids have a ton of money tied up in these cars. Most of them just talk dyno HP numbers. A lot of them are in the 500 range. I bet none of them could wade through the rounds at the local drag strip. I'm hoping to get my 408 Demon on the dyno when it's done.

I bet none of them could wade through the rounds at the local drag strip.

Probably not...but even with the big power, they are not designed for straight lines only. Where they kill is when the big HP MOPARS fear to tread..

On another note, we generally trade our subs in at 350K kms...with not a lot of out of the normal maintenance..

Grassy

Boxer motors have that sound because of an unequal length header. If you put an equal length header on = better horsepower/torque and spool. As for them being to small I'm 6ft 290 and have plenty of room.

I'm looking through the tint band in my friend's Impreza. It's a nice enough car, but too low. (Note: I have the same issue in a Concorde.)

-
Back