The level of butchery : Amazing

-

Brian Arcella

Reaction score
New to the forum but not totally new to Mopars had several over the years and race my 48 Plymouth coupe blown Hemi in A/gas, so my son got his first car a 1969 Dart GT convertible on the rough side but the cars runs really well and has good bones. Not being familiar with A bodies I did see some daylight showing behind the battery so I figured hey rot no big deal but when I remove the battery tray (incorrect one) I see this which has me scratching my head asking why? the sheet metal is not rotted it is actually torn, but why would one do this? I am torn no pun intended between fabricating a new panel, bending back the old one and weld it and shape it or use a section form a donor car. Would any A body inner fender work or would I need one form a 69?
20210623_181614.jpg

20210623_181618.jpg

Looks like it rotted out and someone just ripped the junk part out. Sad really.
No believe it or not no evidence of rot its good solid sheet metal, If I had to guess maybe the battery tray rotted away and he used something else that he made work. jUst a guess but I could have fabricated or adapted a battery tray from something else but never would have resorted to this

If these old cars could talk they be bitching about all the abuse they took at the hands of moronic owners who had no business ever touching a wrench.

AMD makes these new, or find a donor car and replace it. The battery trays and tray supports are available new as well. Im using a 67 LH inner off a donor 67 valiant. My pix the LH inner fender is not welded in yet. However before removal I made temporary bolt in struts to maintain radiator support to firewall spacing out of 3/4" electrical conduit. Once its welded in, I will simply unbolt these.

20201122_193613.jpg

20201128_171115.jpg

20201115_165132.jpg

Last edited:
Any year inner fender 67-76 A-Body will work for your application. The changes were made on the passenger side inner fender that really affects the look but not the function...

Thanks I have a guy some what local who has a Duster that looks pretty good I will go to his place with a battery powered sawzall this week

HEY WE NEED PHOTOS OF THE 48!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Any year inner fender 67-76 A-Body will work for your application. The changes were made on the passenger side inner fender that really affects the look but not the function...

Yep, my 69' GTS has full 73 Duster inner fenders on both sides.

-
Back