The long awaited death of a Nissan

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Years ago I bought a Nissan King Cab pickup with a 5 speed with 130k on the clock for 1,700.00
I drove the crap out of that truck for a couple of decades and wanted something different for a change.
The Wife told me when the truck finally died I could get something else, so I started neglecting it maintenance wise.
A year or two later the AC died and wouldn't hold a charge, but that wasn't enough to warrant a different driver for my service calls.
250,000 miles and the most expensive thing it ever needed was tires.
I went through 4 starters (as it got driven stop and go a lot) it started making a bearing noise in the trans when in first gear, but that wasn't a good enough reason to get rid of it.
A few years later it was making trans bearing noises in first, second and third but kept on going.
One day my daughter asked when I changed the oil and filter last I told her I didn't know for sure, but it was when my youngest Son was 11 because he left the key on after filling his bike tire with air and it filled the block with gas to the point of hydro lock. (my Son was 17 the day she asked me that) so it had been 6 years and 150,000 miles since the oil and filter were changed.
It used a half a quart every 6 months so all I ever did was add a half quart when I could hear the engine making a rattle noise that it made when it was a half quart low.
At some point the heater quit blowing because the switch died, so I used the old AC switch to turn the blower on and off.
I cussed it every day, "JUST FRIGGIN DIE, WOULD YA" but no such luck.
Going down the hiway with your foot on the floor resulted it about 60mph with any headwind at all, and I was at the mercy of everything else on the road, YES even Prius's had their way with me.
Finally after freeze plugs leaking and putting water in it every day it froze real good during the night and I went out to find three freeze plugs laying on the ground under it.
FINALLY I could say this enough, and get something else, so I stuffed plastic shopping bags in the freeze plug holes, filled it with water and took that damn Nissan with 497,000 miles on it to the local scrap yard where they gave me 350 bucks for it.

I love my 350hp, 5 speed automatic Dart. :D

Moral of the story, you ask?
Don't buy a Nissan unless you want to drive that damn thing the rest of your life.

Yup, old nissans and old toyotas. Something about them they just keep going and going and going and going....

We've got an old nissan pickup for garbage runs/picking up stuff for around the house. Sometimes it doesn't run for months on end. Quick battery charge and it fires right up every time. All my buddy owns is old Toyotas. They just go forever. Sounds like a tractor. Manual everything. Window down A/C. But it still goes. It's got a flat bed with a critter picker for hunting. Great truck.

Reminds me of my old dodge, 86 D100, 318. Quart of oil every couple months. Stopped filling it up to blow it up and drop in a 360 I was building. 6 months later still ran fine.

Vehicles like that are great.

i have an 86 nissan pickup I had given to me 10 years ago........ use it as a beater, home depot trips, ect.......v6 5 speed....... runs like brand new with ice cold air

Years ago I bought a Nissan King Cab pickup with a 5 speed with 130k on the clock for 1,700.00
I drove the crap out of that truck for a couple of decades and wanted something different for a change.
The Wife told me when the truck finally died I could get something else, so I started neglecting it maintenance wise.
A year or two later the AC died and wouldn't hold a charge, but that wasn't enough to warrant a different driver for my service calls.
250,000 miles and the most expensive thing it ever needed was tires.
I went through 4 starters (as it got driven stop and go a lot) it started making a bearing noise in the trans when in first gear, but that wasn't a good enough reason to get rid of it.
A few years later it was making trans bearing noises in first, second and third but kept on going.
One day my daughter asked when I changed the oil and filter last I told her I didn't know for sure, but it was when my youngest Son was 11 because he left the key on after filling his bike tire with air and it filled the block with gas to the point of hydro lock. (my Son was 17 the day she asked me that) so it had been 6 years and 150,000 miles since the oil and filter were changed.
It used a half a quart every 6 months so all I ever did was add a half quart when I could hear the engine making a rattle noise that it made when it was a half quart low.
At some point the heater quit blowing because the switch died, so I used the old AC switch to turn the blower on and off.
I cussed it every day, "JUST FRIGGIN DIE, WOULD YA" but no such luck.
Going down the hiway with your foot on the floor resulted it about 60mph with any headwind at all, and I was at the mercy of everything else on the road, YES even Prius's had their way with me.
Finally after freeze plugs leaking and putting water in it every day it froze real good during the night and I went out to find three freeze plugs laying on the ground under it.
FINALLY I could say this enough, and get something else, so I stuffed plastic shopping bags in the freeze plug holes, filled it with water and took that damn Nissan with 497,000 miles on it to the local scrap yard where they gave me 350 bucks for it.

I love my 350hp, 5 speed automatic Dart. :D

Moral of the story, you ask?
Don't buy a Nissan unless you want to drive that damn thing the rest of your life.
ornery old bird - like it's owner

My daily driver is an Infiniti (Nissan-built) with almost 200k on the clock. Only replaced a starter, alternator, and clutch master cylinder. Still on the original clutch! The thing just won't die!

I had a '95 ford ranger with some foreign made 4 banger, 8 plugs, bunches of coil paks, it had 330,000 mi. ran terrible and still got 25 mgh when I sold it to a guy that was gonna try a tune up and maybe replace the cam. ha musta be a Nissan engine!? ha

I had a '95 ford ranger with some foreign made 4 banger, 8 plugs, bunches of coil paks, it had 330,000 mi. ran terrible and still got 25 mgh when I sold it to a guy that was gonna try a tune up and maybe replace the cam. ha musta be a Nissan engine!? ha
Nope it was a Ford motor just a new version of the old 2.3

I got an 82 Mazda B2000, the thing wont die, but the state of CA practically gave me a gun to shoot it. "..If you cant kill it, just legislate it out of compliance.." CA Smog AQMD
PS> They reneged on their buy back once they found its registration was expired for 2 months...while I was trying to get it smogged!

I think the older Nissans/Toyotas were better for long life, low maintenance. The newer ones have more power, but more troubles. Especially Toyota, they sure have had their turn in the barrel the last 15 years with multiple issues.

Sounds bout like my 02 Crapolla. One of my older brothers bought the car back around 08-09 then sold it to my next oldest brother a few years later then I traded an 04 stratus to him for it 3 years ago. That stupid things engine rattled like it was gonna go out at anytime for the last 4 years. I finally stopped changing oil, just added 2 quarts every 3-4 weeks when the oil light would blink as I went around a curve. :D

Well a few weeks ago we decided we wanted to buy an 01 PT Cruiser 2.4/5 speed from our landlord (used car dealer) but didn't have the money at the time.

Tuesday morning on the way up to the farm to go chore the Crapolla lost a lot of what little power it had! So I parked it at the farm, had a friend pick us up and yesterday morning I wrote a check for the down payment on the PT Cruiser. I love this thing! BIG upgrade!! Lol

-
Back