The more rust I fix, The more rust I find!!

-

player1up

Reaction score
One step forward two steps back.

As the garage is in shambles I decided to clean out the place and take a truckload of crap out of the trunk of the duster.........

I had originaly done a survey of the area when I bought the car about 9 months ago...seemed ok, not great but ok...I was more worried about the drivers floor or lack there of..

when I got the carpet up and in the trash, I realized that the seam filler was coming up in a couple of places.......after pulling it all out.... I can see the rear tires from inside the trunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With that in mind, I went back to repairing cowl drain..

I just like looking at progress pictures.. I hope these inspire someone else..

Light at the end of the tunnel seems pretty far off..
too heartbreaking to post the pics of the trunk :toothy7:

DSCF0002 (Small).JPG

DSCF0003 (Small).JPG

DSCF0004 (Small).JPG

Your getting there! keep up the good work....but your right, its like money, the more you make, the more you spend!! :lol:

C'mon post the trunk pics.!
If you wanna see rust you should move up here to the rust-belt where we have cars that were driven every winter on the salt covered roads for 30+ years.

Just keep on going after it and you will catch it all and get it all fixed! It takes time.I bought a 67 chevelle SS back in 1998.NICE CAR! But I wanted to do a FRAME OFF! Well I DID! After the body came back from the media blaster I SWALLOWED REALLY HARD AND SAID DAMN! What I thought was a REALLY NICE RUST FREE BODY! Well to put it lightly it was PRETTY BAD! REPAIRABLE BUT BAD! I was already comitted so I started buying sheetmetal and the fellow doing the body work did one hell of a job.The car certainly is RUST FREE NOW! LOL Took 7 months total and the car was ready for Houston Autorama with 2 months to spare! She took 2nd place in original class! I was very proud even though it was a CHEVY! She also won 3rd in 1999 and was picked at Fort Worth Good Guys as Best Restored Muscle Car in 1999.She is RETIRED from the SHOW CAR CIRCUIT and sits in the climate controlled Garage just SHINNING! As a matter of fact I am going to take her out tomorrow and air her out a little bit!

Bobby

Concentrate on just one piece at a time and you'll eventually get there. If you look at the whole car each time you go out to work on it, it becomes pretty discouraging, so pick one piece and finish it, then move on to the next area, and before you know it you'll have it finished.

wow what a pain. reminds me of my fenders they were somewhat bad especially where they bolt under the hood i had to custom make those pieces, unfortunately now you can tell they have been altered cause i couldnt make the bumps in them

OldVart said:
Concentrate on just one piece at a time and you'll eventually get there. If you look at the whole car each time you go out to work on it, it becomes pretty discouraging, so pick one piece and finish it, then move on to the next area, and before you know it you'll have it finished.

Ya its not a good idea to have a friend come over for a few hours.. have some beers and start on a whole new thing on your car either.. exSPEcially when your soo deep into it on other things already!they just mess things up!
AND DONT PUT THINGS AND TOOLS AWAY.. Jimmm.. gosh! haha :toothy7:

Thanks for the words of encouragement.. sorry for the moment of weakness.
I guess I should remember what has been done already.

- complete front suspension rebuild/repaint ooo nice and shiny
- driver floor replaced passenger floor patched. no more step on it fred
- driver front fender patched
- window pillars repaired. including roof hole pic attached. no more rain roof
- custom seats installed (arg the bracketry nightmare)

new carpet, leaf springs, trunk seal and rear shocks on the way.

Whew, NOW I feel a little better

I keep telling myself to stay focused.. but with a wife in nursing school and 3 kids a dog and a cat AND an A-body MY ADD gets worse by the day :toothy7:

OK so here are the pics of the trunk.

I laid the new quarter on the car cause i didn't have any place to put it...

DSCF0002a (Small).JPG

DSCF0004 (Small).JPG

DSCF0001 (Small).JPG

DSCF0002 (Small).JPG

DSCF0005 (Small).JPG

DSCF0010 (Small).JPG

Well just think when you are done your welding skills will be 100%
Whet you've got done sure looks good!

You seem to be doing very fine from what I see especially with the load you are carrying. I know I buy a part here and there trying to do my build, it's tough. If you think you have bad rust I can post some pics that will make you gratefull that is all you have you should see my rust, out of this world!!!

keep the progress up. pretty soon you will be at the lights with a mustang :wav:

Looking real good playr1up!!
I hope you are very proud of the work you have dun here. :thumbup:
You are an A bodie man at work on a great car that you built and repaired.
And this mean's allot.
As you say Keep on keeping on. :blob:
Your post's are great too.
Thank's

Thanks guys for giving me some perspective.

Yeah this will be my daily driver when she's done. so tubing is not in the cards.

My problem is that I've had the car for about a year and I told myself that it would be done before I drove it......but I'm getting itchy...and I keep finding more crap that is pushing the timeline out..

You've had it for a whole year, and that's all you've done? :) Relax man, some of us haven't done that much in 3 or 4 years. You're doing great, so don't get in a hurry and start getting antsy now.

Don't set timelines, that's like figuring out how much it's going to cost, you won't be in the ball park :lol: Like Sid said, just one piece at a time, I've done a couple complete rust buckets and that's the only sane way to approach it :thumbup:

-
Back