The Most Devastating Engineering Miscue Found in Early A-Bodies

-
1964-5 Barracuda lenses were clear, bulbs were yellow. Or amber. As I recall, all the manufacturers went to amber parking lights in the 1963 model year. Some used amber lenses, others amber bulbs.

I've seen some bulbs that were just painted yellow; others bulbs used amber glass to get the color. Not sure which was original - been many, many years - but I think yellow paint. I use the amber tinted glass bulbs now, just because the yellow paint will burn off after a while, as you can see if you look closely at the painted bulb on the left, below.

View attachment 1715667733

My '65 had painted bulbs, here's a box I scored on eBay a while back, couldn't find them anywhere else. The paint gives a nice yellow reflection when off too.

DSC_3404.JPG
DSC_3405.JPG

It will be a few days before i can get some. My car is in winter storage at my parents farm. But as soon as i can i will

I'd like to have made a magnetic removable cover like the signs they place on vehicles sometimes for advertising. ...
I have seen those sold for early Mustangs. You can buy flat magnetic stock on ebay and cut your own.

Re the cowls, when I had the climate boxes off I could access the innards from the under-dash holes and openings in the engine bay, I was able to clean it out thoroughly with vacuum and scraper, remove rust in the corners, and paint with Stop Rust, using a little roller on an extender, small foam brushes, and spray. There are drain openings on the sides which you can access if the fenders are loose at the bottom. Remove leaf debris which always clogs them. I installed stainless mesh screen underneath. I first tried to support it with a bent wire, but changed to loops of mesh pushing upward, then drops of glue to the vent openings at the top. On most of my newer vehicles, the cowl screens are plastic. It has amazingly held up in the CA sun in my 2002, though the plastic is about done in my 1984 M-B. Those screen holders are removable.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this other engineering miscue--the filler neck in the quarter panel that shoots/spills gas all over during a fill-up. Anyone have photos of the stains left on the quarter panel?

gas spill.jpeg

I have always wondered why the automakers made both a post sedan roof design and a pillar-less coupe. The redundancy of parts makes no sense at all. Doors, glass, windshield and gasket, wiper arms, B pillar and who knows what else had to be made special for each model. Why didn't they just choose one design ??
The pillar-less coupe was a styling adventure that lasted for many decades know as hardtop convertibles. It gave the feel of a convertible while having a hard roof. I personally love the hardtops especially in warm weather. One reason I love my Barracuda!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^an extra vent will stop that !

Have you installed an extra vent in an early A body (I'm thinking Barracuda here)? Sounds like a good idea, but I'd like to know if there is a proven method out there. A vented gas cap could be one way, but that may allow spillage through the vent.

Have you installed an extra vent in an early A body (I'm thinking Barracuda here)? Sounds like a good idea, but I'd like to know if there is a proven method out there. A vented gas cap could be one way, but that may allow spillage through the vent.

I bought a replacement tank off ebay , it had the usuall vent for the filler tube , and a vent sticking out above the pick up assembly (hi in the tank). I ran it around and up thru the trunk floor and up below the trunk lid , w/ 2 coils on it , and back down thru the floor in about the stock frame vent area , never has spilled or boiled over when filling , like the brand new one I bought in 1968 did .

I ran some A60-13 raised white letter tires on aluminum slot rims as the first "upgrade" made to my 1965 four-door Valiant back in the day. Those little wide tires were kinda cute.

Body flex. This Cuda has cracks in the same place on BOTH quarters under the back glass. My first Cuda had the same crack on one side. Too much flex between the front and rear subframes, I suspect. I’ve had frame connectors welded in since then. Hopefully, if I ever repair and repaint this car, this problem stays away.

image.jpg

Body flex. This Cuda has cracks in the same place on BOTH quarters under the back glass. My first Cuda had the same crack on one side. Too much flex between the front and rear subframes, I suspect. I’ve had frame connectors welded in since then. Hopefully, if I ever repair and repaint this car, this problem stays away.

View attachment 1715703347

Thank you for sharing this. I noticed a slight crack on one side prior to my body ('65 Barracuda) going into the paint shop, now I'm concerned about this reoccurring. I did some research on frame connectors and see that USCarTools makes them. I never gave body flex a thought until I read your post, I'm ordering the frame connectors, I'd hate to see these cracks come back after the car is painted. Edit: Found some "before" pictures, its all filled now. I seem to remember the joints had lead in them.

DSC_1471.JPG
DSC_1475.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this. I noticed a slight crack on one side prior to my body ('65 Barracuda) going into the paint shop, now I'm concerned about this reoccurring. I did some research on frame connectors and see that USCarTools makes them. I never gave body flex a thought until I read your post, I'm ordering the frame connectors, I'd hate to see these cracks come back after the car is painted. Edit: Found some "before" pictures, its all filled now. I seem to remember the joints had lead in them.

View attachment 1715703790 View attachment 1715703791
I, too, bought the U.S. Tools. I prefit them in my garage, then took them to a muffler shop to have them stitch welded. One weld every three inches, I would say. I used to jack up one corner and just that corner would come up. Now when I jack up a corner, the whole side lifts! I don’t notice much difference in the handling like others say, but The proof is there that much of the flex is gone now. Best to you, Bob. You’re just down 680, we’ll have to meet up sometime.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this other engineering miscue--the filler neck in the quarter panel that shoots/spills gas all over during a fill-up. Anyone have photos of the stains left on the quarter panel?

View attachment 1715670325

Thats a vent problem ----------------my new 68 barracudas had it , thw one I got now doesnt , I PUT AN EXTRA VENT ON IT .

I've had my 66 Dart since I was 16 mostly original paint including the quarters and I never had a problem till a few years ago. Back in the day 340's and Sunoco 260 were the norm. Never had a problem till a few years back and it ate the off the paint off to the primer. Ya the 260 never did anything.

-
Back