The mystery of the missing oil?

-
so, it was less than a quart down? in 6mo and 1K? i wouldn't sweat that in the slightest.

plugs don't look bad, probably the wackiness of the fuel filter/pump/regulator situation in conjunction with the float level in the carb is where the low speed running issue was coming from.

however, this brings up the topic: do you have the correct dipstick for the oil pan and did you add the correct amount of oil at the initial change? i only ask, because most stuff isn't going to give you an oil light if you're less than a quart down.

I added the amount listed in my Chilton guide, can't recall exactly how much... Same as when i add oil to my Dune buggy VW, I add oil and make sure the mark is in the middle of the 2 hashes when dead cold

See the photo below of my dipstick. Very dark and burnt smelling. Ignore the fill level, this was moments after it ran

IMG20240304184834.jpg

Alright alright, I'll check it out. Is there any chance it would slow down my engine during a turn? Especially during tight or continuous turns in the last few months, the engine wants to die at low revs while turning the car
If you have the steering locked in those tight turns, yes, it can kill the engine at low rpm.

Good point on the steering! My PS pump does whine if you go to either lock, but these sweeping turns are not locked to either side

Y U no fill to the "full line"?

at any rate, my query was more along the lines of dipsticks can get changed, pans changed, new dipstick might not read the correct level, and so on, and so forth. it's a known entity in the small block sandbox, so it might be worth looping back and double checking the parts and the capacity.

my friend, Justin Case, insists upon it.

"what if it only leaks going down the road"

And what if the tooth fairy is stealing it??
Cool jibe, bro, but I've seen \6 oil pressure senders (for one example) leak under pressure in such a manner that there's little or no evidence. You lose your oil on the road, but not on the driveway or garage floor.

There are a lot of things to like about the Slant-Six engine; there are a lot of things it does very well. Keeping the oil inside is not one of them.

Okay, investigation largely complete.

• Oil changed
Any chance when you drained it, you actually measured how much oil came out of the engine ?

That would have been very helpful

As for oil disappearing, I got a good story for you

I just had my 360 rebuild and installed back into the car

No oil leaks when parked, or idling, but it would always drip after driving

There was oil on the filter, so I must have a leak on the filter plate right?

Removed and reinstalled it, no difference
Did it again
No difference

Then a fellow member send me a 90 degree adapter so I tried that
No difference

Finally, I decided to wrap a rag around it and go for a drive

When I came back, I found there was oil on the rag...no surprise there
What wad a surprise, was where I found it on the rag, it was on the outside

That lead me to find that my rear main seal was actually leaking, oil would leak onto the torque convertor and that would sling it up

It just happened to land on the filter

Because everyone always told me "the highest point where you find oil is where the leak is" I stared myself blind on that filter and would have missed the actual leak

Point is, oil leaks are wierd

-
Back