The Mythical 7 Cylinder V8

-
Who cares? It's all boosheet anyway.
You care, that's why you are here.

You want to believe.
Insert X-Files theme music.
xfilestruth.jpg

Doo woo woo wee woo

True but you think the kind of guy telling that story would know anything like that? Lol
Well of course not......lol There's a guy I know locally whose had every kinda Chevy muscle ever made, according to him including a Motion Vega. I asked him where he got it. "Dunlap Chevrolet in downtown Macon when it was new" was his reply. I said "funny, because the only place that ever sold them was the Baldwin Auto Group in Baldwin, NY and they never sold through any other dealers". He started stumblin and stammering some kind BS response while I was walkin off. This guy wouldda told you he climbed Mount Everest just to get one up. Truly a walkin idiot.

Well of course not......lol There's a guy I know locally whose had every kinda Chevy muscle ever made, according to him including a Motion Vega. I asked him where he got it. "Dunlap Chevrolet in downtown Macon when it was new" was his reply. I said "funny, because the only place that ever sold them was the Baldwin Auto Group in Baldwin, NY and they never sold through any other dealers". He started stumblin and stammering some kind BS response while I was walkin off. This guy wouldda told you he climbed Mount Everest just to get one up. Truly a walkin idiot.
I bet it had a Hemi and a factory 5 speed too.

mule muffins .
A gaggle of Colonel Sherman T. Potterism's, coming right up!

What pile of bullsh*t........more likely it fouled a plug the tech didn't want to change, like the dealer that told My neighbor the Aerostar was what they called a "5 cyl. tune-up", nobody in their right mind would pay that coin for one of those & "put up with it".
Good Lord.....

I have an inline 5 cylinder in my Colorado. Does that count? I haven't studied up to find how that works. 72° ?

Back in the eighties working at a Ford Dealership had an F150 4.9 I6 come in using oil & missing less than 10K miles... #5 plug covered with oil... Back side of intake valve was clean, Pulled the engine & tore it down... No rings what so ever on #5... Stuff happens... Missing Piston? Hard to see that getting out the door...

The AFM club in NorCal runs a race bike class called “Triple Cripple” which is the 600 supersport bike running on 3 cylinders. This was done as there was not a lot of options for 400 cc street bikes in the states until the last few years.

I saw a Mazda B 2200 engine that had a broken rod, the rod broke about two inches above the crank journal. The big end was still hanging on the crank but was malled from hitting the block. The block was not broken but it did need a sleeve and rod . The owner told my buddy that the miss had been there for about 40K.

Yes they did. They pulled the 1 head and the oil pan. They were pretty skeptical at first when I told them I thought it was a piston problem. There was probably about 20,000 kilometres on it.
That's crazy.

Along the same lines, ck out this video about quality control on modern day parts.

OK, I'm gonna call BS on this. How could an engine run properly with a missing connecting rod, piston and rings? How much would those weigh? It would be massively out of balance. If it ran at all, I bet it would shake itself to death. Plus, the valves will still be opening. When the exhaust valve opened, wouldn't the scavenging effect of the other cylinders pull oil vapors out of the engine causing some smoking and oil fumes coming out the exhaust? And when the intake valve opened, wouldn't the vacuum in the intake system suck those same oil vapors up and into the intake system to burn? That would cause smoke? Not to mention the oil that would be slinging and squirting out of the hole in the crank journal. But I think the bottom line is that I don't think it could run well enough to move the car being out of balance that much. I am no engineer, but that is what I was thinking.

OK, I'm gonna call BS on this. How could an engine run properly with a missing connecting rod, piston and rings? How much would those weigh? It would be massively out of balance. If it ran at all, I bet it would shake itself to death. Plus, the valves will still be opening. When the exhaust valve opened, wouldn't the scavenging effect of the other cylinders pull oil vapors out of the engine causing some smoking and oil fumes coming out the exhaust? And when the intake valve opened, wouldn't the vacuum in the intake system suck those same oil vapors up and into the intake system to burn? That would cause smoke? Not to mention the oil that would be slinging and squirting out of the hole in the crank journal. But I think the bottom line is that I don't think it could run well enough to move the car being out of balance that much. I am no engineer, but that is what I was thinking.
I agree. Kim

That's the questions I asked in the past. In order for this myth to be slightly possible, the engine would have to be built addressing those issues, but l don't have enough information on that. For all I know it could have been a car that was never sold and caught by the dealer and sent back, or it just never happened. Every person that knows this myth has a different story, but how did this myth start? It's very strange in my opinion.

That's the questions I asked in the past. In order for this myth to be slightly possible, the engine would have to be built addressing those issues, but l don't have enough information on that. For all I know it could have been a car that was never sold and caught by the dealer and sent back, or it just never happened. Every person that knows this myth has a different story, but how did this myth start? It's very strange in my opinion.
Three drunks on barstools trying to out-do each other........

-
Back