The Other 68 Dart Resto Project

-
Great looking garage.:cheers: Make sure you get yourself a nice old fridge in there to hold the nice cold wheat sodas. :drinkers:

now they came up. WOW!!!! what a change from your ol' hole in the wall. you're also making it look really nice. congrats on the new spot. how big of a house did you buy?

I went through this drill with our families '68. My MIL passed away and left the car to us. Everyone wanted the car because she had owned the car since new. It was a two door, 318 post. It was immaculate. She lived in the desert and the car had absolutely no rust. I did put in a 340, 8 3/4, 727 and disc brakes- all stock '68 stuff. I remember all of the work taking everything out of the engine compartment to get it ready for paint. What a pain!

We drove the Dart for 14 years and it won many awards. I sold it to a guy from Yakima who is very happy with the car. I did the same thing to a '73 Sport Coupe and then moved on to Datsuns. They are smaller and I put my '71 240Z on a rotisserie. I am presently doing a '73 510 two door sedan. It will be my last restoration. (I'll buy my next car restored!) I read every page of this '68 Dart forum and cannot believe how much of your life is tied up in this vehicle. I will watch it until you finish. Hang in there!

i understand completely about buying a house. we bought ours in febuary, and my life has been rather hectic ever since. you will get there, it will just take about 9 times longer than expected, and you'll be considerably more broke when youre finished. at least thats the way it worked with me.

and im digging the garage. looks a lot nicer than mine. i may have to steal the shelf idea, though.

Michael

Sorry guys, its been two months since i have even been to this site, 6 months since I have worked on the body of the Dart, and 4 months since I touched the engine. So as of right now, I have no progress to report on the Dart.

All my time has been devoted to a new house (fixer upper) and all the work I have been doing on it. I have not given up on the Dart, it will live again, but probably not this year. The house beckons me to work on her, and I do so every spare moment my butt is not planted on my chair at work.

That's OK, we understand! My last break like that lasted thirty years. We'll wait for ya patiently!!!

I am getting the itch again, the weather is starting to get cooler, its down to the low 90's now. It time to start working on the dart again.

I been dieing over here waiting for another update!!!
Car looks awesome so far man. How is the new house???

George

MAJOR UPDATE!

I know I have only been to this site maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 6 months, but recently I put the house on the back burner now that it is in livavble condition (kitchen will have to wait). I recently started working on the Dart again.

What really sad, when I moved back in May, the Dart was almost ready for paint, so the past week I have been back out in the garage and doing the final prep. I finished blocking the drivers rear 1/4 yesterday and started going over the whole car with fine scotchbrite pads, getting it ready for sealer. The good thing was, all the filler and High-build primer got plenty of time to dry and shrink. I also fixed an alighnment issue between the rear quarter and the drivers door. I determined that the door was a different curve than the rear quarter, enought that when the top and the bottom of the door were aligned, the middle part of the door was off by almost 3/16 of an inch. I fixed this by using a came-a-long and some nylon straps, I basically bent the door back into shape, did a little sanding on the quarter to match the contour, now it all pits perfect.

Saturday I installed a complete air line system with an oil & water seperator and an inline dessicant air drier.

Sunday me and a bud built (Ok, I carried the wood, he did the work) a wall in the garage for the paint booth which will end up being 18 x 13 ft. It will be covered in 4 mil clear plastic and completely sealed, I will be pressurizing the booth with a 3000 cfm blower going through 2 stages of filters, then exhausting through 4 filters to the outside. I also installed 6 flourescent lights in the booth, one in the center, 2 along each side, and one in back. I am also going to have one portable 2 ft strip that will sit on the floor when I am painting the rockers.

I am ready to paint and if the weather cooperates, I will be shooting epoxy sealer next Sunday, followed by base and clear next week after that.

100_2551.jpg

100_2552.jpg

100_2553.jpg

100_2554.jpg

100_2555.jpg

100_2556.jpg

100_2557.jpg

100_2498.jpg

100_2502.jpg

100_2504.jpg

100_2505.jpg

100_2546.jpg

100_2547.jpg

100_2548.jpg

100_2549.jpg

100_2550.jpg

My only regret with the garage was that I should have drywalled the ceiling before I moved the Dart into the garage. That will be done later now. It would have made this a lot easier.

Looking good man. I'm in the process of piping my garage for painting now. Using 1/2" copper. What is that stuff you are using? PEX?

I'm using 1" PVC for my paint booth frame though. Easy take down when I'm done and easy storage too. Yours will probably be nicer. Sure hope that compressor has good CFM rating to run your guns. One of these days we'll both get our projects done.

Lookin good Flyboy! I've been waiting patiently for a Dart update from you.
Your thread was one of the first I read from start to finish when I joined here a year ago, and after reading all the posts I feel like I know the car! LOL
Congrats on the house, and the garage looks like a real nice place to spend some time.
Good Luck with the paint!!!

George

The only complaint I had, I should have ordered extra fittings. The system is fine for a basic compressor, but you need extra fitting when adding a drier and a seperator. I really love the system, works great, easy to install, and I still have about 40 ft of line left, I am going to install some extra taps later.

The only complaint I had, I should have ordered extra fittings. The system is fine for a basic compressor, but you need extra fitting when adding a drier and a seperator. I really love the system, works great, easy to install, and I still have about 40 ft of line left, I am going to install some extra taps later.
If you don;t mind, what would one expect to pay for system similar to yours - complete w/ the separator and drier?

I paid $165 shipped for the air line kit with 5 extra 90 degree bends, and one pack of 1/2 line clamps.

About $30 for misc brass adaptors and fittings, including 3 quick disconnects.

About $6 for a Harbor Freight fitting and ain gun kit.

I bought the water/oil seperator about 2 years ago, I think I paid about $30-40 for it.

The air Guardian dessicant drier was $80 from Eastwood.

So about $300 or so. You dont really need the air oil seperator if you have drier, but it will last 5 times as long with it. You can also just use the air drier when you are painting only. you can pick these up at Harbor Freight or Northern tool for between $20 to 40.

-
Back