The perfect electric fan?

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
As noted in my fan shroud thread, I have been having cooling issues with other E-fans I have tried.

The video below is a test of a fan from a Mercedes CL63 (480hp, 5.0L V-12). This fan is a near perfect fit over the Mopar 26" radiator in my car, shroud and all. The fan has it's own electronic controller that has a start capacitor and it slowly ramps up the RPMs to keep from slamming the cars electrical system with the current draw.

The down side is that is max rated draw is 830w at 13V. So I will need to install a max fuse to take the current. There is also no external relay required since the unit has it's own trigger wire. It only needs a temp switch to put voltage to the trigger wire.

I have a 100amp externally regulated alternator, but was looking at going to a one wire anyway, so I'll probably jump up to 130amps to cover the needs (electric fuel pump, stereo and amp, FBO ignition, e-fan), assuming this thing works....if it doesn't I certainly have another, non-fan related issue.

[ame="http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/mroverlord/Vehicle%20Stuff/?action=view&current=FanTest.flv"]Vehicle Stuff :: Mercedes CL63 Fan test video by mroverlord - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid763.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/mroverlord/Vehicle%20Stuff/FanTest.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid763@@AMEPARAM@@763@@AMEPARAM@@xx271/mroverlord/Vehicle%20Stuff/FanTest[/ame]

I think "feets" from moparts is running a Benz fan from an E-class Mercedes on his car.

He can help you with any questions, nice guy.

Keep in mind the wires on those fans are about as fat as your pinky finger for current capacity so your wires have to be beefy as well.

I work on Benz's for a living and was thinking of using one of their fans, then had second thoughts as their controllers like to fizzle out.

I am not too happy with Mercedes fans for the most part, just my $.02.

The problem with factory electric fans is they never seem to have enough cfm capability. Spal makes the best electric fans and they have the most cfm, the down fall with them is they are pricey.

Actually, feets is a good friend of mine and that's exactly where I got this fan from. :toothy10: I have watched his Belvedere slowly morph into the monster (monstrosity) that it is now....LOL.

I'm mistaken though, the fan is not specifically for a CL63. I'm not worried about the cable size. 63 amps requires 8awg, which is no big deal.

The fan is all mounted up and ready for field testing.

I used a current clamp to test it for draw. Current climbs gradually from 0 to 53 amps during acceleration (about 4-5 seconds to spin up). As soon as it hits max RPMs the current levels out at 39 amps.

A 60amp maxi fuse was used in a marine grade arc covered block. Now it's just a matter of testing to make sure it cools and flows well, and making sure it doesn't overtax my 100 amp alternator.

MBFan.jpg

Well, it worked great until it broke...LOL.

The fan was from a wrecked Benz, and it looked OK, but there was a hairline crack in one of the blades that we missed. It snapped while at speed (oops). It didn't hurt anything but it a lot of noise. We put another blade on it (the blade assembly bolts to the motor) and was good to go.

I tested it on a 95 degree day, and sitting in my driveway the fan cycled on/off as it should, no problem over a 10-15 minute period.

The issue I did run in to was the current draw. Our factory type alternators only make 10-15 amps at idle. When the fan kicks on it discharged my battery. So, to fix that I put on a Powermaster 1-wire unit, which I was kind of wanting to do anyway. It charges 80 amps at idle, so all is well now.

My only concern is, according to the MB tech, these units burn out the control module. I really don't want to be 30-40 miles from the house and lose my fan. Benz made a newer version that is almost identical, but with no module, It requires an external power relay, where this one does not, but everything else is the same. I know two guys that have them, both on big blocks, and haven't had any issues at all. So, I'll be keeping my eye out for one of those.

I still have my mechanical fan, just need a shroud, so that is my standby.

-
Back