The proper way to store your ride for winter

-
Drive it.

:thumbup: :D

Although I have to say we don't salt the roads out here. That would be a whole different story...

IMG_0711.jpg

I have heard that tires will "square" at the bottom if left just sitting on the ground - can't prove it by me, but I did purchase a full set of car dollies a few months ago that I do plan to leave under the tires - a) so I can move the car sideways in the garage when I need to and b) IF this tire square thing is true, the dollies are angled front to back and I guess it would help alleviate it... I think it's a "wives tale" myself. Also, I plan to keep the fuel topped off to some degree, the battery on a tender and start the car no less than once every two weeks. - - oh, and when I can, drive it! Which, BTW is my plan at some point tomorrow... :twisted:

I have heard that tires will "square" at the bottom if left just sitting on the ground - can't prove it by me, but I did purchase a full set of car dollies a few months ago that I do plan to leave under the tires - a) so I can move the car sideways in the garage when I need to and b) IF this tire square thing is true, the dollies are angled front to back and I guess it would help alleviate it... I think it's a "wives tale" myself. Also, I plan to keep the fuel topped off to some degree, the battery on a tender and start the car no less than once every two weeks. - - oh, and when I can, drive it! Which, BTW is my plan at some point tomorrow... :twisted:

Flat spotting is true. Go to a dealership and ask to test drive the vehicle that has sit stationary for the longest. It'll feel like it's about to vibrate apart for the first 10ish miles.

yea, just trying to "shake the tree" - :twisted: - thought I might get some mileage outta that one - you caught me. I deal with it with my truck all the time... if I take the "scooter" to work for a week, it's like the truck has 4 flats!

Flat spotting is true. Go to a dealership and ask to test drive the vehicle that has sit stationary for the longest. It'll feel like it's about to vibrate apart for the first 10ish miles.

Pull battery, put it on a charger.
Put Downey sheets in trunk, interior & engine compartment, apparently mice do not like them. Must be true, never a rodent problem so far.
Clean it and cover it.
Overinflate tires
Stabil in the tank.
Wait for spring.

That's about it.

Did a bunch of that stuff...Put 5 gal of fresh gas with stabilizer in and ran it for a while last week. Put a few extra PSI in the tires. Topped the battery off on the charger and left the neg terminal off.

I like to fill the gas tank FULL, helps keep the condensation out. fuel stabiulizer for sure. I start me, run until completely reached full temp. move around if I don't drive it down the road. put trickle charge on battery once a month. I don't have the battery tender, but have heard good things about the GOOD brands. I would worry bout garage catching on fire, just me.
I will have to try the Downey sheets. I can't seem to buy enough rat bait to kill off the population!!!!! ya know country rats and mice!

I use sta-bil in everything except my daily drivers.
Lawnmowers, weed eaters, generators, 4-wheeles etc, the stuff just works.

A tip on the tires, a friend of mine works at a tire shop and he told me park my camper tires on some 2 x 12's instead of directly on the driveway, to help prevent tire rot.

Buy a battery tender and just leave it plugged in.
Battery tender JR is available about anywhere and is less than $40.
You can buy extra connectors for like $5 at Summit, I rotate my battery tender about once a week on my classic cars.

Pull battery, put it on a charger.
Put Downey sheets in trunk, interior & engine compartment, apparently mice do not like them. Must be true, never a rodent problem so far.
Clean it and cover it.
Overinflate tires
Stabil in the tank.
Wait for spring.

That's about it.

RRR shared a tip about putting rice in a sock and putting it in the interior of the car to absorb moisture. IT WORKS! Might be rodent food though, never thought about it till now.

RRR shared a tip about putting rice in a sock and putting it in the interior of the car to absorb moisture. IT WORKS! Might be rodent food though, never thought about it till now.

Never used it, but know some people that use Borax for every pest problem. Maybe flavor the rice with it and solve two problems at once?

Or rodent blocks? I use the same stable by the way seems to work great.

Take off the radiator cap (or leave it loose) in case the coolant freezes so it won't crack your block..... The water/ice needs somewhere to expand or the engine will have to take it...

Take off the radiator cap (or leave it loose) in case the coolant freezes so it won't crack your block..... The water/ice needs somewhere to expand or the engine will have to take it...

Good tip there.

That wont help if your mix is not strong enough. What freezes in the block will expand in the block and not out the radiator hoses.

A can of Seafoam in the tank and top it off with no ethanol premium. Park it and throw a cover over it. I usually put the trickle charger on mid winter and then start it up and move it in and out of the storage garage just to keep the juices flowing a bit. I have tried the drier sheets for no critters and it seems to work. Tires will get flat spotted unless you jack it up on stands. That's not a bad idea so you can run the car in place to keep everything lubricated.

Put all my toys in the garage. Set heat to 40 degrees. Put car on jack stands not really for flat spotting the tires, which after driving a few miles goes away. BUT to keep the suspension unloaded! Rear springs and torsion bars last much longer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 217
To me rice might attract critters.
A buddy who detailed alot of cars in the flood of 1985 told me to buy a small bag of charcoal and open the top, charcoal attracts moisture quick.

-
Back