the right cam

-

farmer260

73 Dart Sport
Reaction score
i have a 60over 360 with eddie heads and roller rockers! My builder says he wants to use a 502/511 lift with 236/242 duration cam by comp cams and solid lifters. what do you guys think of comp cams? is there a better brand or not i have heard different things so i just wanted to check!

Comp Cams builds quality cams,and in my opinion would be hard to beat.:thumbrig:

What trans stick or auto (convertor stall) Gearing in rears, headers, intake etc. and street/strip combo car I would say correct?

Also what body style and year. This will give us a weight specific idea too.

I think all said they are OK cams for the $$$. You just want a good grind to fit your application. 8)

you can go to comp cams website and download a free copy of there computer progam cam quest 6 it is neat. you put in all your engine specs and it showns you how different cams will affect horse power and torque.

the best part is it`s free

Specs no doubt.

Based on heads alone, and how they flow, I myself would try to take advantage of the head with a higher lifting cam.

you can go to comp cams website and download a free copy of there computer progam cam quest 6 it is neat. you put in all your engine specs and it showns you how different cams will affect horse power and torque.

the best part is it`s free

I just downloaded it after seeing your post.

I think the program is optimistic in it's predictions!

Nice toy though.:)

put 1.6 rockers on it to make better use of the head flow.

ok here is what i got! i hope i dont leave anything out! A 1973 Dart Sport with a 360 bored 60over, edelbrock heads with 1.6ratio SS roller rockers, pistons will make it about 10:1 compression, I think im going with hedman tight tube headers, intake for now is a eddie performer and i have a 650 holley double pumper on top. it has a 4spd std trans and the rear axle has 3:23's in it right now and that wont be changed for a while. this car is for street use for now and maybe some strip someday!

You'll like a bit less duration then. The small carb and intake and street gears will work far better with something that has a mid 220's duration at .050

Now if you were running 4.10 gears, had a single plane and a 750...

I agree with Chief. That's a pretty big cam considering your combo. It will be soft on the bottom end with those gears. It would be fine if you had lower gears and a better intake. I'd probably go with a Comp xe286 or Lunati 60403 for more low end torque. JMHO

i do plan on up grading to a 8 3/4 rear axle with lower gears and also a single plane intake but money is getting a little tight right now! And i might even get a bigger carb if need be!

Thats not a 340.. I dont think it will feel soft at all. The key is the true static ratio... When we mean details, the catalog "it'sa 10:1" answer isnt really what we mean...lol. You need to know (and your machinist had better...) know exactly what you will end up with in order to make a good choice. I like that package, however I would replace that small carb with a 750 old school or 670 Avenger style carb. The stick means it wont ever feel soggy. First is lower than an auto firts, and third splits an auto 2/3 so you use the gear you need to. I think I would go more lift, maybe a hair less duration. The small blocks have a terrible valve train, and you lose about .020 just thru the pushrod angle. So that cam will not take advantage of the RPMs ports as well. You want to open the valve far enough to sepnd some quality time in the lift ranges the heasd work in. iN RPMs case, that's .350 to .450, and that cam will only spend the smaller part of it's duration in that area.

You can get more lift with less duration with other grinds. Don't forget that your net lift will be lower with a solid because of lash. I'd look at a Lunati Voodoo grind if I were you.

-
Back