The Situation: 360 Water pump

-

TheBigDude

Reaction score
Dealing with the previous owners cobbled up mess. I need to put a water pump on with the intake on the passenger side. I believe I need to change the pump, timing cover and damper? I know this problem has been discussed elsewhere but can't seem to find the thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 264
Not sure about the damper but you could be into ps pump as.well. Also all brackets and pulleys spacers etc. Its a friggin pain.

The newer pump will work with an older cover, but, the brackets will need to be changed for the Alt. & (possible) P/S. It maybe possible to use the older Alt. Bracket. I have no tries it myself but I do have a older & newer set up to try out.

The balanced timing marks are in a different spot.

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. I figured I would have issues with the power steering bracket, but I can get a new one. I hadn't considered the pulleys. Maybe I'll get lucky and some one will reply with exactly what I'm going to need.

The newer pump will work with an older cover, but, the brackets will need to be changed for the Alt. & (possible) P/S. It maybe possible to use the older Alt. Bracket. I have no tries it myself but I do have a older & newer set up to try out.

The balanced timing marks are in a different spot.

Thanks Rumblefish. I thought I saw somewhere that I had to change timing cover. I think you just saved me a bunch of work. I'm gonna order a new water pump and see if it will bolt up to my timing cover. I already have a trick new alt bracket. The guy I bought the car from had the lower hose running from the drivers side, zip tied under the radiator, and pieced together with a washing machine hose connector. Seriously it was one of the must F###ed up things Ive seen, other than the wheel spacers he put on the "inside" of the rear drums. :wack:

I should've taken a pic!

Make your life easy, get brackets, pulleys, P/S, and water pump from a 70+ small block, of any displacement. Only hang up is the 273/318/340 timing covers wont work due to the end seal to pan U. 360s are larger, and the timing tab is on the drivers side. but with an aluminum water pump and matched brackets you should be ok. Check TDC with a piston stop to be sure. Good luck with whatever route you choose to take.

Make your life easy, get a timing cover, brackets, pulleys, P/S, and water pump from a 70+ small block. this is what i did in my 66. Saved me a lot of time and headache. Good luck. Just remember to mark TDC to the tab via a piston stop. Dont guess.

Good advice I'm sure. I think I'll look around on CL and see if I can find A 360 with everything on it, probably cheaper than trying to come up with all the pieces. Thanks.

Good advice I'm sure. I think I'll look around on CL and see if I can find A 360 with everything on it, probably cheaper than trying to come up with all the pieces. Thanks.

I edited my post since you responded, I tried to catch it in time. Sitting here cooking dinner and had some after thoughts....haha so anyway, my main after thought is, you're stuck with the timing cover you have, since its a 360. All 360s 72+ have the timing tab on the drivers side, so, 70+ small block water pump and brackets should float your boat just fine. All SB's 70+ have aluminum water pumps. Its a win/win, parts are very common and inexpensive. The early stuff seems to be hens teeth and "gold".

Or just buy a radiator. That will solve the mechanical plus lessen the chances of overheating.

And since the 360 came out in 71, and was externally balanced, you wont find an old style damper to fit it. You would need to re-index the tdc mark on the current one for the old style cover. But wait, that engine already has the old-style system on it. So what balancer did they use and more importantly, hows it run, and maybe they already re-indexed the damper?
-In any case; yes its a can of worms. I did the conversion, because I had all the matching donor parts. I now have the 70 and up system in my 69 Mope. At the time it was the only way to put the hi-flo pump on it. IMHO its the best way to go, but definitely a can of worms.

You have to keep the original damper with the crank. Everything else can be converted with the proper vintage parts for the car that you are putting it in. Just re-mark the original damper for TDC when you get the timing chain and water pump worked out.

Hey Big Dude,

I had coolant pooling on the timing over like shown in your picture. It turned out to be the bypass hose. Just a thought....

Be well,
Pat

-
Back