the Un-Fair

-

67Signet

Smoke and chaos stunt coordinator
Reaction score
I thought Id share

Went to the local county fair and decided to take the Signet :burnout:so I loaded the girls in the car to go.. now earlier this day I had installed a new exhaust hanger as well as a new stereo and speakers and a new turn signal switch in the column.
Pulling the steering was no big deal but turns out I need the other switch "actual blinker switch" to have my blinkers work both parts bad but no problem hand signals work and fair is 20 min away I would just use hand signals.
Its an American thing to take your classic to the fair We were getting thumbs up and comments that were great to hear.:tonqe:
We get close to the fair and the traffic is terrible and the car does not like the waiting as it hesitates a bit I have to throttle it to keep it going.. ODD I thought..? but I would be able to get there then meet my brother and nephew and once everyone was settled into the routine I would go to the car and see what is going on but we make it only another block and with a pop she dies...I coast over to side of the road and check it out. My daughter loves the new stereo since it has the remote and was cranking it up while I was trying to listen to motor and think so instead of biting her head off I took the remote and face plate and placed it in the trunk (she knows better!) back to the car..
Turns out the carburetor I had purchased about 3 months ago new had a major issue..and No it wasn't a NAPA part.. it was a CHINA carburetor and u get what you pay for :finga:( I knew better!)
The idle screw back stop the ear made of pot metal, broke off the carburetor and when it did it caused the choke to stick closed so knowing we were close I placed the air filter assembly in the trunk then pinned the choke open and drove it the half mile to the fair.We had a good time watching the pig races rode a few rides and watched some cowboy stuff a real good time until my brother decided to ride this hectic looking ride that spins like a gyro and its part roller coaster (his son wanted to go!) I knew it wasn't for me and with his bad back I sensed the moment of doom. Well my nephew just had to ride it and needed a adult and when the ride was over both were dizzy sweating and sick it threw my brothers back out and they left..:wack:
Now its me the girls and a Mopar that I will have to limp home.
On the way out some person who miss understood the traffic flow (Uh it was his job) he sent about 80 cars down to the back side of the property down a dirt road that is very soft and rolling hills just a one lane out only road.(we were suppose to be sent out the higher road!! the one that is paved and gravel):eek:ops:
Well my Valiant didn't like it and the traffic was more stop than go with lady's in suv's to scared to drive over a few artichoke plants as part of the property is a farm The Signet sputtered and died on the last hill out due in part to no traction mid hill and a person in front not able to follow others lead.Its at this time I feel the 3 on tree lock in gear(hasnt done this in almost a yr since I lubed and adjusted it..
Well after the last car left and all other traffic now correctly exiting the road above me we are alone on this tractor road.,So I call the tow service and I am told 20 minutes and they would find me using my phones GPS but when the tow driver gets to the property he cant find the road and I tell him to ask the people managing the traffic and yes they told him use the higher road :banghead:(they don't know of a lower road??) We finally get it worked out and the Signet is loaded on the flat bed its then I am told I can get the car to nearest auto shop I said no I want it taken home less than 20 miles, NO go! my mistake was I called my insurance company tow service this was my fault I have AAA Premier and should have called them anyways I have him tow us as far as he would take us and drop us at a little market with the intent of calling AAA and getting some food for the girls but this neighborhood is no good and my girls are freaking when 5 min there some guys in there 40s asked them if they wanted a ride as they walked into the store and I was 20 feet way, girls are 12 and 13 yr old seems like a lot of guys were there drinking and the business was about to close and with AAA saying it would be up to an hr before arrival I decided to try the drive:prayer: I was able to go to column under hood and force into gear and we were able to make it home in 1st gear at about 10 pm since there's a lot of hills here second gear wouldn't work so we putted at 25 mph home.
Moral of story a American car keeping American tradition of going to the fair is no place for Chinese crap. I do have another good Carburetor going on tomorrow (original on a running motor) just didn't have a chance to install yet.. so lesson learned. :violent1:
Next year i will take the Dart.
Hope you had a good week end !
God Bless!
BRUCE B.

You know, you could title this "A day in the life of a car guy". Glad to hear you and the family got home in one piece. Be sure to give your brother a touch of grief for his should-know-better decision. (After he feels better, of course).

been there to many times i feel your pain but look at it this way

it made it home never left you stuck lol give it a pat on the bumper after you yell at her for acting like a fool

Thank you for the kind words I like the life of a car guy I put the real carb on today and will dial it in tomorrow
I just had to share to help clear the air and frustration and its true what they say .. you cant kill a 6 !

-
Back