the usual question: what cam should i pick

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
72 demon, 85 318 , 727,355s, bowl ported 302s with comp 901 springs, ld 340/670 avenger, right now i have 284/484 MP cam and hughes 3000 stall TC. cranking psi is 120, was 140 with unknown 340 cam. i want to go back to stock torque converter and milder cam, was thinking of summit 6901, lunati voodoo 702, smallest comp thumpr or their 268 xe. yes its a roller block but i can only afford hyd flat tappet, would like to have bit of a lope at idle and hopefully some torque. any thoughts?

Max lift for the 901 springs is .490 according to Comp. The Lunati 702 is slightly larger at .494 . The ramps on that cam are probably too aggressive for the 901's spring rate also. I would say 218-220 degree duration at .050 with about a 262 adv. duration would be a good choice since it's a 318 with that cylinder pressure. The XE262 would be about the biggest cam in that line that will work decently with a stock converter. An XE268 cam would need more stall speed then stock in a 318.

That just my opinion though.

I think the Summit cam that has 216*/.454" cam will be nice. I dont Know the part number off hand. It is the old Crane Cam grind. I ran one in a 360 with stock high stall converter and was excellent.

that would be the 50052, how wa s the idle on that gliderider 06? good chance my 360 will be ready next year and probably use the same cam i decide on. yes 340doc cam and lifters will be for sale , probably 1500- 1800 miles on cam

Thats the part number! It had a slight lope and I was able to get mine to idle at 700rpm just fine. Great street manners and would rev quickly. I do believe that 318willrun is using the same summit cam in his build too that you may want to check out.

Call Schneider and see what a custom cam would be for your engine combo. Using off the shelf cams is becoming a thing of the past since customs are not very expensive.

I think the Summit cam that has 216*/.454" cam will be nice. I dont Know the part number off hand. It is the old Crane Cam grind. I ran one in a 360 with stock high stall converter and was excellent.

The 50052 Summit cam has 10 degrees more advertised duration yet it has less duration at .050 then the Comp XE262 cam. Those 10 degrees means it will have less cylinder pressure/compression, less duration at .050" and less overall lift. That is an old cam design with slow ramps when compared to the XE line of cams. It's a better off the shelf choice IMO, but a custom cam would be a best choice.

that would be the 50052, how wa s the idle on that gliderider 06? good chance my 360 will be ready next year and probably use the same cam i decide on. yes 340doc cam and lifters will be for sale , probably 1500- 1800 miles on cam
Message me when the time comes, no hurry. please be sure to keep the lifters in order. Thanks

Summit still has crane grinding those single pattern grinds, too.....
111.00 for cam and lifters..
Brand:Summit Racing

Manufacturer's Part Number:SUM-K50052

Part Type:Camshaft Kits

Product Line:Summit Racing® Cam Kits

Summit Racing Part Number:SUM-K50052

Cam Style:Hydraulic flat tappet

Basic Operating RPM Range:1,500-5,200

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:216

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:216

Duration at 050 inch Lift:216 int./216 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration:272

Advertised Exhaust Duration:272

Advertised Duration:272 int./272 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.454 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.454 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.454 int./0.454 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees):110

Computer-Controlled Compatible:No

Lifters Included:Yes

Lifter Style:Hydraulic flat tappet

Valve Springs Included:No

Retainers Included:No

Locks Included:No

Valve Stem Seals Included:No

Timing Chain and Gears Included:No

Assembly Lubricant Included:No

Pushrods Included:No

Rocker Arms Included:No

Gaskets Included:No

Valve Springs Required:Yes

Camshaft Manufacturers Description:Fair idle, good low midrange power. Largest stock engine cam, but works best with 9:1 and higher compression and gearing.

Quantity:Sold as a kit.

6901 is on the way from summit, thanks for everyones input, i wouldve went custom, but ive been off work for ten months now, ive been selling parts to support my bad habit(my cars)!

at 276/288 etc. that cam is only slightly milder than the 284 MP cam, let us know how it works and the new cranking compression

im kinda hoping the 218/228 at 050 compared to 241 will make a difference

That difference has nothing to do with cylinder pressure. Cylinder pressure starts when the valve is fully closed not at .050".

Was your 284 / .484 cam a 114 centerline or a 108 centerline cam?

I was hoping it was 114 because then your cylinder pressure would increase more. The wider LCA of your new cam will reduce how much your cylinder pressure is increased because it causes the intake valve to close later. I doubt your cylinder pressure will change that much. Basically you just eliminated some overlap, reduced your lift and duration at .050". Compare the cam cards of both cams to see when the intake valve will close.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in and explain it better.

-
Back