The vin on the radiator core support only has 6 numbers, is this normal?

-

trebor75

Reaction score
On my 70 Duster the vin is on the radiator core support, driver side. I also climbed into the trunk and see that something is also stamped with 6 numbers from the upside of the package tray near the drivers side speaker. To pass inspection here in Sweden they need to see the vin stamped. I was wondering on why they did not stamp the entire vin as it's shown on the dash?

I don't know exactly how many but they are known to be a partial VIN. Both numbers should match each other and match the VIN. The officials should know that. This is not the first day there's been a Mopar through your inspections

Also, after '68 there should be a partial VIN down on the engine pan rail, assuming it is the original engine.

My rad support only has the last 6 numbers of the vin which matches my dashboard vin and trunk rail.

I believe the last six digits of the vin# are stamped on the rad support and rear package tray/trunk lip (driver's side) on 1969 and up vehicles. Before that it was the S.O. (shipping number) you would be looking for IIRC. S.O. # can be found on the data tag.

There are also other numbers stamped that have nothing to do with the VIN. Those are usually easily feel able, the VIN stampings are never pronounced enough to feel them from underneath. You almost always have to scrape paint to see the numbers, For sure one the trunk lip, you have to remove the weatherstrip and scrape the glue and paint to see them. On the core support they are usually under the yellow coolant decal...

I was wondering on why they did not stamp the entire vin as it's shown on the dash?

I suppose that for these secondary parts, only the serial # is sufficient to identify the vehicle.

Rad support VIN.jpg*
My core support. 145923 is the serial# of my '71 Demon (also present on the engine block, gearbox and under the package tray.
The complete VIN is only present on the fender tag, the dashboard and the passenger side inner fender.

I don't know what they did at mopar. But when I worked a Mack trucks and a stamped cab came out to the line with bad body damage they would pull the cab and ad another to the line at the spray booth area. The stamped numbers were never restamped onto the replacement cab. Once it went through the paint process it was to late. Over the years I have seen many cars with no numbers at all. My "body in white" Duster has no numbers, Never was stamped. I had several others over the years also.

-
Back