The Wine Drinkers Thread

-
what ever you do......never buy/drink Meridian wine.

It is made from rotten grapes stomped on by the homeless, but only after they've stepped in some dog crap.

Beringer Knights Valley Cabernet Sauvignon '08. Pairing well with Italian sausage pizza. Pretty sure it's a blend of the 5 varietals of Bordeaux. A safe, crowd-pleasing wine, I have recommended it to customers for years.

Done with buying foreign wines, no reason not to support our economy here at home.

sounds good.

Last bottle I had was an '08 cab franc...and it was gooooooood

Thanks for reviving this thread...I needed a distraction of the positive kind.

does aurbor mist count? im also a fan of wild vines starwberry. im not much of a expencive drinker but my uncle is some what of a wine comasour and i try evreything he brings usualy good stuff sometimes to dry and bitter for my likings im a fruity wine guy i guess.

does aurbor mist count? im also a fan of wild vines starwberry. im not much of a expencive drinker but my uncle is some what of a wine comasour and i try evreything he brings usualy good stuff sometimes to dry and bitter for my likings im a fruity wine guy i guess.

Something to think about...it takes time, often years for your appreciation of wine to evolve. Most people start with fruitier white wines, then drier whites,then move to lighter, soft red wines like Merlot and then to 'bigger' Cabernet Sauvignons. Much of the enjoyment of drinking wine is how it enhances food. Wine contains solvents, including alcohol, that dissolve the fat in food and release the flavors. At the same time, the food heightens the flavors in the wine. A sweet wine, while enjoyable to drink alone, can start to taste like Koolaid when you drink it throughout a meal. Generally a red wine can bring you more enjoyment than white, it warms you up more and has a richer flavor profile, even the inexpensive bottles. And it's good for you, in moderation, keeping the plaque from building up in your arteries, among other things.

Let your uncle introduce you to wine, try some cheese or meat with a glass. Great wines and wineries are practically at your doorstep where you live, learn to enjoy them!

sounds good.

Last bottle I had was an '08 cab franc...and it was gooooooood

Thanks for reviving this thread...I needed a distraction of the positive kind.

Your welcome, thanks for starting this fun thread. Cab Franc, I see you like big wines. Traditionally, Cab Franc is added in small amounts to Cab Sauv to give it a robust quality, hence the grape's name 'franc' or 'frank' as in forthright.

I am on my third batch of home made wine from concentrate kits. 1st was a merlot witch was very good. 2nd batch is a black raspberry merlot and my 3rd is a passion fruit zinfandel. Was never much of a wine drinker due to how it made me feel the next day. No such problem with my home brew.

I pretty much only drink dry reds these days. I have gotten attached to some Argentine and Chilian wines in recent years. French wines or course - although I try to stay away from them for political reasons :). There are so many great reds being made all over the US these days it's hard to single a specific brand. What you will find almost any day open and on my counter, for a table wine or just the evening sleep aid is a 1.5L bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz. For the price I just really like this stuff, and it doesn't give me headaches.

I hadn't really thought about this until recently, but if all of us wine drinkers bought wines made in the USA, it would be beneficial to our economy, which needs all the help it can get.

I hadn't really thought about this until recently, but if all of us wine drinkers bought wines made in the USA, it would be beneficial to our economy, which needs all the help it can get.

For our country, drink more wine!

LMAO

I like me some Merlot...but while Wine Tasting in Germany we came across

Moscato-

Over the years my wife and I keep going back to the Muskrat Grape flavor...moscato.

try it...highly recommended here.

Franciscan '06 cab sauvignon

Bet it's nice and will reward you as it breathes. Franciscan was one of the wineries on the trip I won last Spring, they showed us a great time.

Have you discovered cellartracker.com? Check it out!

Solid, crisp, elegant, good acidity. Dry peaches and pears and creaminess that keeps you interested rather than tiring out your palate like the over-oaked, over-buttery, over-fruity 'cougar juice' chardonnays. Would go great with any seafood either broiled or fried or in butter or cream
sauces. Usually I drink red but this was a reward from my boss and I really enjoyed it.

C'mon guys let's hear what you've been drinking. Get into it!

I was in fresno this weekend and found a '01 Franciscan cabernet sauvignon [34.99] at this liquor store off the bullard loop ....Very nice...dry, oak & vanilla undertone and not too plumy more even mix of light fruit w/smooth end not too dry, leaving u looking for a beer...but dry w/a nice shortish finish.

then i followed that with a 4 pack of boddingtons ale...

im working on a Robert Mondavi 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon. Not bad, just a bit of bite, kinda wet, definite plum and blackberry taste, holding well after being open for a couple days. Very easy drink, good wind down at end of day wine......

im working on a Robert Mondavi 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon. Not bad, just a bit of bite, kinda wet, definite plum and blackberry taste, holding well after being open for a couple days. Very easy drink, good wind down at end of day wine......

most cab's will go 4-5 days, the time between 2 hrs and 2 days is when they seem to taste the best imo unless you have a 6yr or older bottle and even then it can vary.jmo

Carlo Rossi, "Pisano", cheap and gets the job done.....:glasses7:

Ditto!

About ten years ago I was reading the wine column in the Wall Street Journal. The author belongs to a wine tasting club in NYC and he had the group over to his apartment for a tasting. He decanted a gallon of Paisano and poured during the evening. The wine snob guests were raving about the wine. I buy it here for under $10 per gallon and the wife and I have some every night with dinner.

Ok had a couple more lately.. '2006 Chateau Haut Beausejour' cost me (34.99) which tasted like early eighties vintage, amazingly cool finish, 5 out of 5 for me

The next was 2009 Sabastiani pinot noir (18.99), imo better than 09 La Crema pinot, the other Sabastiani 08 cab (18.00) .. which is not bad, fruit spiced with very mild wood & acidic but not very dry finish, had it with a rib eye, salad & scalloped potatoes, it matched.lol

ok...been a while and quite a few bottles later...but, i bought a few bottles and as i drink them tell ya what the order of good to great.

Tonite is a CARR '08 cab franc...it go's for $21.00-$35.00 a bottle...it has a vanilla spice w/chocolate 'alcohol at 1st till it some'...then smooth finish.
Not bad...about what 20 bucks should taste like, but not the best ive had 'only tried 3-4 cab francs'

I also bought an '06 Chateau Haut Beausejour Saint Estephe, '03 St supry cab, 08' Justin cab......ill let u know, though my hunch is that they are all good.lol

Wife loves Barefoot Moscato a tad cooler than room temp. I love that my wife loves Moscato.:cheers:

-
Back