The year before Nascar died

-
Awesome read tom, thanks. Can you imagine the whinin some of these pansy drivers nowadays would do if they had to drive that car?

The winged cars and the hemi engine were great feats of engineering. I wonder where we would be today if NASCAR had never put in restrictions? 300+mph?

The winged cars and the hemi engine were great feats of engineering. I wonder where we would be today if NASCAR had never put in restrictions? 300+mph?

There probally wouldn't be any NASCAR! Just a couple of incidences with those cars loosing control and turning into flying objects going into the stands and NASCAR racing at that level would have been legislated out of existance. Even today with all the aero dynamic and stability improvements they can't keep them on the ground when they get side ways.

FWIW, Bill Elliot still holds the all time record with a lap speed of 212 at Talledega set in 87 and Rusty Wallace went 216 in practive in 04 (he didn't get the record because it was practice). Rusty Wallace has recoded a top speed of 228 and a lap speed of 221 at Talledaga in 05 with a non restrictor plate engine, again no record because it was not a legal configuration for Talledega.

The Sprint Cup cars still break 200 mph on the straights at the fastest non restrictor plate tracks like Atlanta or Texas.

I always did think it was strange they don't go much faster now a days as they did way back then and they have power stering now.

Thanks for sharing. Great read with pictures. With so many over-restored Winged cars featured in magazines it was a treat to see a real racing car engine bay and interior.

GregH

Certainly so. We're there on the dragstrip.

Nascar died???...maybe as far as Dodge and Dodge fans are concerned they couldn't win another championship if they were the ONLY team running,even your hero Petty jumped ship to Ford..why don't you ask the FIVE time in a row champ Jimmy Johnson what he thinks about Nascar,man i wish he was in a Dodge :-D:-D

It has been dying a slow death, since they outlawed the Hemi. That is a nice article, but they neglected to mention how they tied the Hemi's hands behind it's back, once Petty's boycott got them to reinstate the motor.

These cars today have absolutely no relationship to anything you can buy, nor do the motors. Allowing Toyota to buy the circuit, finished it for me. Yes, I am one of those guys that has always rooted for the Mopars, no matter the driver.

This is a REAL stock car...........

Petty.jpg

-
Back