There Goes The Oil Pressure!

-

67 dart 270

Reaction score
My oil pressure gauge shows 75psi @start up but falls to 30 in seconds.If I rev it falls to 20 but goes back to 30 at idle.Now heres where it gets crazy shut down and start back up it goes right to 75 again and starts the whole process over? i'm thinking build up getting on the pump screen. ANY SUGGESTIONS???:blob:

How far away from the pan is your oil pump pick-up? Did something dent your pan?

The pan is straight ,but the the car sat for three years before i got it.So first thing after getting it cranked and listerning for noise and checking for smoke i changed oil. It immediatly started tapping lifters,pulled valve covers to find adirty mess to put it litely. everything was oiling good up top so ifgave it adose of marvel mystery oil which stopped the tapping in seconds {i know why they call it mystery oil now},let it idle for about 15 minutes then shut down and drained the crap out. The oil looked worst than the old . So then a stupid idea hit me piour a couple gallons of mineral spirits down both sides of the rockerarms. It cleaned em and good to.thats when it hit me if it cleans this good up top whats it doin down low.Well after wet/rdry vacuuming the gunk off top i drained the elixer out the bottom it was nasty clumps and chunks of build up. pouired oil allin the top put anew filter on cranked up and here we are. Nice quiet smooth runnin 318 with wacky oil pressure

Maybe time to pull the pan and have a look and clean it out. Maybe a new pump and pickup at the same time.

sounds to me if you loosened enough stuff up and its now laying in the bottom of the pan and getting sucked up into the pickup shortly after startup. id pull the pan and replace the pickup and/ot the pump too.

--chad

turbodart said:
sounds to me if you loosened enough stuff up and its now laying in the bottom of the pan and getting sucked up into the pickup shortly after startup. id pull the pan and replace the pickup and/ot the pump too.

--chad

yup.

Well, we solved that problem ,it was only up to the top of the pickup. Its amazing it had any oil pressure at all. That must be one hell of a oil pump.

-
Back