There's daring accomplishments, there's "crazy" and then there's....

-
.........STUPID..........

I used to work security at a closed mental hospital turned military base. One night we get a call to a guy climbing the tower to the old coal power plant on post. Some 250 tall, he tried to bungy jump into it, smacked his head against the inside of the wall and broke his neck.

And how far would you "glide" if you fell? Lol

It's completely variable in airspeed/altitude and density altitude. GVW is also a major consideration!

How does autorotation work in a helicopter?

Autorotation is a state of flight in which the main rotor system of a helicopter or similar aircraft turns by the action of air moving up through the rotor, as with an autogyro, rather than engine power driving the rotor. ... It is the means by which a helicopter can land safely in the event of complete engine failure.

piece o'cake!

pathwyn1.jpg

I climbed to the top of this when I was six. Harder to get down than up. Pretty much done with climbing after that.

Couple of times up the windmill on our farm, to set to targets. 'Bout it for me.

For me, wingsuits are a special kind of stupid. I think "those guys think" they have more control than they really do. I haven't kept up on the "total" death rate, I was gonna say "a couple" and it turns out there's quite a list:

List of fatalities due to wingsuit flying - Wikipedia

According to this site, some 50 wingsuit "pilots" and 200 basejumpers have gone on to the great gig wherever else

Wingsuiting Death and Risk Statistics - Infographic Danger Percentage

you guys seen the movie "rush"?

this pretty much sums it up, "the risk is more"
most of us are smart enough not to do it when the risk is more

Dude in Russia nicknamed Spider-Man i think does some crazy **** gives me a heart attack just watching him.Been a member for awhile never introduced myself so here goes,1975 Dart Sport 360 magnum dressed out to look period,paint done, needs finishing,will post pics soon

It's completely variable in airspeed/altitude and density altitude. GVW is also a major consideration!

How does autorotation work in a helicopter?

Autorotation is a state of flight in which the main rotor system of a helicopter or similar aircraft turns by the action of air moving up through the rotor, as with an autogyro, rather than engine power driving the rotor. ... It is the means by which a helicopter can land safely in the event of complete engine failure.

piece o'cake!

Rotor design/inertia. And reaction time of lowering the collective.

Hit the nail on the head with DA. Big difference.

Had time to go by my old high school and get some pics of me standing at the base of the tower that I climbed back in 1970 when I was 17 years old. My son had to walk a long ways from the tower to get the whole tower in the pic so it makes it hard to see standing at the base. I'm 6' 1" and you can just make me out (wearing a black shirt and black pants). It might not be the highest tower in the world but I climbed it at age 17, in the dark, right after midnight so that I wouldn't get arrested with no back up.
DSC07838.JPG

To the left of the tower (above) is the 3 story building I had to scale to be able to get to the first rung. You can see the first rung in the pick below, it's bout 30 or 40 feet off the ground:
DSC07841.JPG

No side rails on this ladder and for some reason the rungs were very close together, me being tall and lanky I had to scrunch up which caused many cramps as I approached the top. Every time I got a cramp I almost fell because I could not wrap my arm around the "missing" side rail to rest..it was hell...hang on or fall!!
DSC07844.JPG

And this is the 3 story wall I had to climb to get on the roof so that I could reach the first rung. There used to be an enclosed tunnel connecting the 3 story building to the tower about 30 feet of the ground that I crawled across to get to the first rung. The tunnel has since collapsed so now the tower stands free.:
DSC07847.JPG

Seemed like a good idea at the time???? But since no one (student) had ever climbed the tower to write SRS '55, SRS '65 or SRS anything, I figured I would be the first "Rock on SRS '70"!!!

Here's a close up of the rusty rungs. they've been sitting in rain, weather and salt air for over 60 years!!
DSC07842.JPG

Treblig the Fearless

Last edited:
Boy you were a determined little bastard LMAO!!

A friend of mine, now gone, used to be a maritime radio operator for Scripps institute of Oceanography. He related a story where he and another guy were supposed to climb a mast to install or repair some electronics. "The other guy" started up, got about three rungs up and one rung broke right off. Welded to the steel mast. He hung on, but even at 6-8 ft, an unexpected fall can be deadly

Boy you were a determined little bastard LMAO!!

A friend of mine, now gone, used to be a maritime radio operator for Scripps institute of Oceanography. He related a story where he and another guy were supposed to climb a mast to install or repair some electronics. "The other guy" started up, got about three rungs up and one rung broke right off. Welded to the steel mast. He hung on, but even at 6-8 ft, an unexpected fall can be deadly
I'm going to have to agree with you on the "determined little bastard". I had to be determined because in my first attempt to scale the 3 story building my grappling hook failed when I was 20-30 ft off the ground. I fell backwards landing on my heels then falling hard on my back/head. Luckily I was young and resilient and only suffered minor injuries. The following weekend (with a new better grappling hook) I made a second attempt. Now remember...I had to carry spray paint with me, during my first try (previous weekend) I had tossed the can of spray paint up onto the roof so i wouldn't fall with the can stuffed in my pants causing further damage to my body. So on my second attempt, knowing the can was already on the roof, I made it all the way only to find that the can had busted open when it landed on the roof the weekend before. So I had to abort a second time. The third weekend I carried the can with me and made all the way to the top of the tower but the DAMN paint can tip got clogged almost immediately so I had made the treacherous climb for nothing. So in reality I made a total of 4 attempts. On the last attempt everything went off like clockwork (besides all the cramping). I had no fear of falling/danger but I was scared to death that someone would see me and call the cops. That was my biggest fear.

It was really satisfying when someone finally noticed the "SRS '70" at the top of the tower, the news spread through the school like wildfire. Everyone crammed against the 3rd story windows in the school building to see my work of art!! Everyone was asking who had done it. I wasn't about to tell anyone for fear of "defacing public property" statutes. So I kept me mouth shut for 50 years.

Treblig

Last edited:
What i do for a living,you should see the guys sitting on top eating lunch during repairs,freaks me out every time I think about it,thanks for the memories.lol

-
Back