Thermal fan clutch

-

edbux

Reaction score
If the clutch is working, shouldn't the fan free wheel when the engine is cool and tightening up as the engine warms?

Theoretically it should but if something is whacked with the thermal coil it may interfere with the flow of fluid into the drive and thus prevent the fan from spinning at it`s appropriate speed.

If the clutch has a bi-metallic spring on the front of it, it should freewheel when cold.

I've ran across a clutch that does not have the spring that declutches when higher rpms are reached. The theory with this clutch is that you're going fast enough to push air through the radiator and that you're just wasting horsepower driving a fan.

Mine has the spring on front making it a thermal. I solved my problem by looking at the FSM....I had the fan mounted to the clutch backwards. I got a used viscous fan and decided to paint the fan and didn't pay much attention to how I removed it. DOH!!!

New radiator in, shroud and fan. Guess the coolant from the chewed up radiator got into my Denso alternator. It's now only putting out 11'ish volts.

Will it never end????

-
Back