Thermo-Quad metering rod measures

-
You can also watch Ebay for Thermoquad Strip kits to suit your carb. Not cheap but worthwhile

You can also watch Ebay for Thermoquad Strip kits to suit your carb. Not cheap but worthwhile
Nothing on ebay at the moment.

I found this site: tgmotorsports.net. They have two 10-203 kits, both opened and with only 2 pairs of rods in each. The 10-203 should have 6 pairs and they are asking $450 for a kit.

Nothing on ebay at the moment.

I found this site: tgmotorsports.net. They have two 10-203 kits, both opened and with only 2 pairs of rods in each. The 10-203 should have 6 pairs and they are asking $450 for a kit.
I paid $500 for my kit complete. The come up now and then you just need to be patient.

I have been using TQs since the late 70s. They do not seem too fussy about exact metering steps.

Not sure what engine you are working on, but even if it was all original, todays fuels are different & the original rods might not be ideal.
#9097 originally uses a 069/50 rod. There are some that are quite close:
- 2110 69/40
- 1938 71/40
- 2159 70/40
- 2211 715/40

From the Carter carburetor parts catalog:
Carter 9097
Primary Jet 120-4099 - orifice size .099
Rod 75-2086 - dimensions are .069 x .061 x .040
There are many sources that show what came in the Carter 10-203 strip kits.

Thanks for your inputs. I'm planning to use it on a 440 with specs close to the 69-71 hi-perf version, nothing extreme. I took the rod # 75-1966 (.067/.052/.045) and primary jet # 120-4098 from the FSM for the first year a TQ was put on a 440 as a starting point. The jets I already have are 120-4098.

I have been using TQs since the late 70s. They do not seem too fussy about exact metering steps.
That's what I have heard and I was thinking that getting something close to what was used on a 440 and then change the primary jets if needed.

From the Carter carburetor parts catalog:
Carter 9097
Primary Jet 120-4099 - orifice size .099
Rod 75-2086 - dimensions are .069 x .061 x .040
There are many sources that show what came in the Carter 10-203 strip kits.
The 9097S came on a -76 400 LB so the original jetting might be off. The 10-203 kit would be perfect. But paying $450 for a incomplete kit not knowing what you get ?

By the way. I was wondering why this TQ has this air pipe? The channel goes straight through the bowl and base plate and opens up to manifold vacuum. It looks like the pipe and the hole drilled in the base could have been added later. I don't get the purpose and was planning to block the holes in the cover and base.

IMG_20241019_152134.jpg
IMG_20241019_152209.jpg
IMG_20241019_152241.jpg
IMG_20241019_163135.jpg

Here is one of my strip kits still for sale.

Ok, thanks. Could you check and list what's remaining in the kit? Especially the rods.
The missing secondary jet 120-5149 is the biggest in the kit and probably not needed in my setup. The rod 75-1966 is not included in kit 10-203 but the rods included are all pretty close and all a bit richer (slightly smaller step diameters). Could be just what I need for tuning if I can get and start with the 75-1966.

Last edited:
[1] Mecki, you are over thinking this.
[2] The tube in post #34 has probably been added. Some TQs used that port for a hot idle compensator. Somebody may have used that carb with a huge cam that needed a lot of bypass air, & used that hole for bypass air.
[3] I have only ever found two sizes used for the sec high speed air bleeds. Early carbs used 0.039" along with big jets [ like 0.149"]; some later carbs used 0.029" air bleeds with smaller jets [ some had 0.098" sec jets, smaller than the pri jets. Go figure! ]
[4] I enlarge the sec air bleed to 039 on all TQs & use the bigger jets.
[5] Some later TQs had 0.101" pri jets, buuuuut they also had larger air bleeds. not sure why, presumably for emissions.
[6] I would NOT be using AFB rods in TQs. first, you would want to check to see if the total travel of the rod is the same for the TQ & the AFB. Probably isn't. Also, the power step on AFB rods is usually longer than on the TQ rods, so a fundamental difference there.
[7] Since you have the carb apart, you may want to do the mods I listed in a thread in this section in Oct 2023. Those mods will make a veeeeeery noticeable performance improvement. On a 440 that I built for a 68 Charger, 5 speed man, TQ modified as above, it spins the wheels in 3rd gear when the secondaries open....

[1] Mecki, you are over thinking this.
Yes, I probably do over think this (as I often do).
[2] The tube in post #34 has probably been added. Some TQs used that port for a hot idle compensator. Somebody may have used that carb with a huge cam that needed a lot of bypass air, & used that hole for bypass air.
That's a reasonable explanation for that tube. It would probably do more harm leaving it open on a relatively stock 440 with A/T or?
[3] I have only ever found two sizes used for the sec high speed air bleeds. Early carbs used 0.039" along with big jets [ like 0.149"]; some later carbs used 0.029" air bleeds with smaller jets [ some had 0.098" sec jets, smaller than the pri jets. Go figure! ]
[4] I enlarge the sec air bleed to 039 on all TQs & use the bigger jets.
[5] Some later TQs had 0.101" pri jets, buuuuut they also had larger air bleeds. not sure why, presumably for emissions.

[6] I would NOT be using AFB rods in TQs. first, you would want to check to see if the total travel of the rod is the same for the TQ & the AFB. Probably isn't. Also, the power step on AFB rods is usually longer than on the TQ rods, so a fundamental difference there.
Ok, thanks for that information. Luckily it looks like the rod problem is going to be solved.
[7] Since you have the carb apart, you may want to do the mods I listed in a thread in this section in Oct 2023. Those mods will make a veeeeeery noticeable performance improvement. On a 440 that I built for a 68 Charger, 5 speed man, TQ modified as above, it spins the wheels in 3rd gear when the secondaries open....
I suppose that 440 was nothing but stock. I will look for that thread.

Thanks

I saw somewhere rumblefish360 mentioning that an AFB rod can be cut and bent to fit a TQ.
Just be aware that the AFB/AVS rods are thicker than the TQ rods so you’ll ether have to have the ends turned down to fit the TQ tree or remake the TQ rod holder.

Just be aware that the AFB/AVS rods are thicker than the TQ rods so you’ll ether have to have the ends turned down to fit the TQ tree or remake the TQ rod holder.
Thanks for that info. I start to think that instead of trying to modify some existing rod easier would be to start with a straight 2,0mm (=.079) brazing rod. That diameter is already close to the first step. The holes in the holder (the one I have) are 2,2mm (=.087) so that would be a perfect fit when the rod is bent. The steps could be made in D-shape with a fine file with the uncut rod supported in a 2,0mm hole drilled in a piece of wood shaped so that it's partly exposed in the middle. Finally cut and bend. Some simple math in a excel table to compare the round and D-shape areas to know how much to file off the rod.

Lets see first how getting the original TQ rods works out. That's a much easier road to take.

The tube clearly has not been added. It has its own bosses on the casting. It was cast with that tube as is.

The tube clearly has not been added. It has its own bosses on the casting. It was cast with that tube as is.
The cover casting clearly has a provision for something (hot idle compensator, two-way bowl vent) that has not been installed. The tube looks homemade, same sharp edge on both ends as when you cut with a hand tool. The base plate doesn't have the canister vent tube for two-way bowl vent installed, if it was the hole through the base plate would connect it directly to manifold vacuum.

I'm not sure about that tube, I don't see the purpose of having it there. The hole drilled through the base plate makes no sense other than what Bewy suggested.

1729469995429.png

IMG_20241021_023015.jpg
IMG_20241021_023048.jpg

The cover casting clearly has a provision for something (hot idle compensator, two-way bowl vent) that has not been installed. The tube looks homemade, same sharp edge on both ends as when you cut with a hand tool. The base plate doesn't have the canister vent tube for two-way bowl vent installed, if it was the hole through the base plate would connect it directly to manifold vacuum.

I'm not sure about that tube, I don't see the purpose of having it there. The hole drilled through the base plate makes no sense other than what Bewy suggested.

View attachment 1716317830

View attachment 1716317836View attachment 1716317837
In other words, it's just like the other tubes on it. None of them were works of art. Maybe it was added. It certainly doesn't look like it.

Spotted something on eBay that may be of some interest.
There are two Carter 9097 carbs listed for sale and one Carter 9097 listed under sold.
None of these have that opening in the air horn.

In other words, it's just like the other tubes on it. None of them were works of art. Maybe it was added. It certainly doesn't look like it.
You are right. It's hard to tell just by looking at the finish. I'm more concerned about that hole in the base. I'll just put a rubber cap on the tube and it's blocked.

Spotted something on eBay that may be of some interest.
There are two Carter 9097 carbs listed for sale and one Carter 9097 listed under sold.
None of these have that opening in the air horn.
I saw some other models with that same cover casting have the hot idle compensator fixed with two screws in that place.

I saw some other models with that same cover casting have the hot idle compensator fixed with two screws in that place.
I've never seen a HIC on a thermoquad. Mostly on AFBs and AVS.

Hot idle compensators were used on many TQs. As correctly Mecki says in post #45, they were held with two screws.

TQ with HIC. There is a hole of about 7/32" under the HIC, goes through to the carb base. When I am going to use a TQ on an engine with a big cam, I use that hole for bypass air. I make a plate that screws into the adjacent boss that I can swivel over the hole to vary the amount of air.

DSCN0268[1].JPG

Hot idle compensators were used on many TQs. As correctly Mecki says in post #45, they were held with two screws.
I had a suspicion they may have been, I've just never seen one.

-
Back