THERMOQUAD INFORMATION>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-
Keep the info coming ,!!
Thanks guys
IIRC he had a "Demon Sizzler"
Demon, that had a SBM that he mounted rebuilt carbs on, to test and tune before he shipped them to customers

Last edited:
Who was the guy on Moparts that used to modify these carbs? Used to have one of his T-shirts.

I have a couple of Doc Fiberglas "Electric Banana" air door adjuster tools.

Demon Sizzler ?? He hasn't been building TQ's for quite a while
I think @Rumblefish knows him

Gentlemen, his screen name was “Demonsizzler.”
We did speak a number of time but have failed to meet up.

He has left the internet, at least under that name, and has proceeded to take care of family and there properties.

We had some good talks. He is a good guy, make no mistake. A real big fan of the TQ. He did manage to impart some knowledge on me and some things he did to modify them. For the most part, they’re good to go as is. There’s nothing really needed to do to them for 95% of all applications.

Doc Fiberglass was also a big TQ guy but…. I did have some issues with him and hard a hard time believing some of his stories. You guy think AJ claim of 33+ mpg’s with a TQ are absurd? AJ got nothing on that guy with claims of better than 50 mpg w/a TQ.

Maybe he used a 'special' gallon, lol.
Oh, he was a most very “Special” kind of guy. Swears up and down Chrysler even wrote about it and promoted it on paper.

Need info on "mystery" TQ I have

6455 TQ
1974, 360 engine, HP HD CA
That has a 1 1/2 inch primary butterflies

I believe it to be off a heavy enough truck that it has minimal emissions in it. I have seen this situation before. Also note ported vacuum for the distributor.

It's said that there are 750 TQ's (smaller 1 3/8 primaries), an 800 TQ, and an 850.
I have not been able to find a chart that specifies what carb number is what cfm.

It seems to me that I have seen 800 cfm models "associated with HD 360's and 400's

I don't find differences between the venturis on the 6455 TQ and one I have off a 76 440

Your take on this pls ?

6455 TQ

I believe it to be off a heavy enough truck that it has minimal emissions in it. I have seen this situation before. Also note ported vacuum for the distributor.

It's said that there are 750 TQ's (smaller 1 3/8 primaries), an 800 TQ, and an 850.
I have not been able to find a chart that specifies what carb number is what cfm.

It seems to me that I have seen 800 cfm models "associated with HD 360's and 400's

I don't find differences between the venturis on the 6455 TQ and one I have off a 76 440

Your take on this pls ?
There was some 1000cfm models out there. AFAIK race only.

@Brooks James , In general, there are 2 different size TQ’s used on production vehicles. Commonly known as the 800 & 850 cfm carbs. These flow ratings are not exact. More general.

There are 2 model race units under 4 different part numbers that were available. Commonly regarded as 850 & 1,000 cfm.

There was a time you could get an over the counter replacement TQ in 1 cfm rating of 800 cfm with a Chevy arm or Chrysler throttle arm. These are the electric choke carbs.

The 1-3/8 primary is considered the small TQ, the 1-1/2 the large TQ, all secondary sides are the same. All primary boosters are the same double ring except the in the racing TQ.

In the above posts where the links are to the TQ, is where you can check some general information on the carbs. You’ll find that it is mostly year dependent on how many vacuum hook ups are on the carb. Trucks were exempt from some, certain or all testing of emission levels since moving heavy loads would require better power than a passenger vehicle would move. This is on the Federal and/or state levels as well as laws at the time. For the most part IIRC, trucks were not monitored.

There was some 1000cfm models out there. AFAIK race only.
Booster pictures of the said 1,000 cfm carb below.

IMG_2854.jpeg

IMG_2856.jpeg

IMG_2832.jpeg

IMG_2828.jpeg

@Brooks James , In general, there are 2 different size TQ’s used on production vehicles. Commonly known as the 800 & 850 cfm carbs. These flow ratings are not exact. More general.

There are 2 model race units under 4 different part numbers that were available. Commonly regarded as 850 & 1,000 cfm.

There was a time you could get an over the counter replacement TQ in 1 cfm rating of 800 cfm with a Chevy arm or Chrysler throttle arm. These are the electric choke carbs.

The 1-3/8 primary is considered the small TQ, the 1-1/2 the large TQ, all secondary sides are the same. All primary boosters are the same double ring except the in the racing TQ.

In the above posts where the links are to the TQ, is where you can check some general information on the carbs. You’ll find that it is mostly year dependent on how many vacuum hook ups are on the carb. Trucks were exempt from some, certain or all testing of emission levels since moving heavy loads would require better power than a passenger vehicle would move. This is on the Federal and/or state levels as well as laws at the time. For the most part IIRC, trucks were not monitored.
There was also a electric choke 460 Ford model. Maybe an International "Cornbinder" too.

Summit Racing back in the late 70's listed a 750cfm model. I am think that was wrong. I tried and tried to get one for my Super Bee. Always out of stock. I settled for a 625cfm AFB (9626?) to plop on top of my Holley Street Dominator.

Yes, there was a “Ford” electric choke TQ. I do not know the primary size. I forget.

Last edited:

6455 TQ

Your take on this pls ?
1974 High Performance 360 Automatic trans from a Valiant, Duster, Dart, Barracuda, Challenger, Road Runner or Charger. We always thought 1 3/8" primary carbs were 750 cfm and 1 1/2" primary carbs were 850 cfm. I does not really matter, they both run great. I always preferred the TQ's from HP engines and tried to pair them to the correct transmission type, small block to small block and big block to big block.

Yes,
Ferd used the TQ on their BBs. They were used here in OZ, from the mid to late 70s. All were 800 cfm models, total of five different 9000 series. Also used here, which you could count in the tens, not hundreds, was the #6394 800 model on 340 Chargers. Not many sold. Dopes bought 351C Ferds, which were slower....
Also used on Inter trucks. I have an 850 performing very well on a 455 Firebird.

Here's a treat for the TQ guys, I have a few more-but will take a while to dig them out. A NOS Ford 460 6568 and a NOS IH 6550 for the 345-392 engines.

IMG_1753[1].JPG

IMG_1754[1].JPG

IMG_1755[1].JPG

IMG_1756[1].JPG

IMG_1757[1].JPG

IMG_1758[1].JPG
Enjoy!

Last edited:
-
Back