thermoquad instead of eddy 1406

-

bad440

everything,all the time..
Reaction score
working on a 73 challenger,it has a cast crank 440.its all stock except for a set of headman headers.someone put a 1406 eddy carb with an adaptor on it.he wants a different carb.i suggested the summit rebuilt thermoquad.any thoughts on this???

I would skip the reman. If he wants a T-quad on it pick up a used on and send it to Harms Auto to have him go through it.

I highly recommend the TQ over the Edelbrock carb! Once it is in good working condition, the biggest problems you'll face is jets and rods to tune. Bend AFB rods 3/4 of an in h from the top to fit the TQ and clip the rest off in an attempt to mimic the TQ rods. TQ jets are hard to come by. You'll pretty much need a donor carb.

Next is the choke. There is a rod that connects the choke from the flap in the primary side that runs downward into the intake manifold. A manual choke cable will need to be used and creatively mounted to operate the choke.

Once you have the big promary carb well set up, and this will take some time to do, you'll love this carb. Find the earliest carb (except a '71) that you can find. You will find excellent low speed throttle drive abilty excellent and a powerful kick when you mash the go pedal.

X2 on the TQ. Far superior, once you learn how to tune it!

thats what i thought,and i will learn to tune it.i'm pretty decent when it comes to carbs....

Thermoquads are nice when they are tuned correctly. You have to get used to how they are tuned. You have to bend some things and that ain't normal on most carburetors.

Thermoquads are nice when they are tuned correctly. You have to get used to how they are tuned. You have to bend some things and that ain't normal on most carburetors.
i've been listening,and if i have any problems i will be asking....thanks rob

I like these keys words...LOL

Once it is in good working condition, the biggest problems you'll face is jets and rods to tune.....

once you learn how to tune it!

when they are tuned correctly. You have to get used to how they are tuned. You have to bend some things and that ain't normal on most carburetors.

LOL

They are true words! Finding a old jet, rod and spring kit to tune these carbs up is hard. While they will appear on E-bay from time to time, most want a high price for something you can modify from something else a whole lot cheaper!

Old how to manuals are around on the net and for sale on the TQ. They'll show anybody how to mess around with it.

yes..i know..LOL...I have a Thermo-quad strip kit......but sitting in the tool box for umpteen years...

-
Back