thermoquad/performer conversion linkage help

-

1968notch

Too many projects, not enough time/$$$
Reaction score
Hi All,

I could use some help with linkage for a TQ upgrade on a 318 in a 1968 A body using 2176 eddy performer manifold. The kind that doesn't involve throwing 200 bucks worth of aftermarket parts at the problem and then hope I get lucky and have them all work. Thanks to the person in the other thread this second question was moved from for the Lokar link but I'm really just trying to get this car back on the road and the funds are tight. Time in a wrecking yard is easier to come by than funds right now. I'll probably use the Lokar stuff later because when I do have the funds to finish and install the 340 it would have to be a huge windfall (like when money starts growing on trees) and I'd probably have some extra for the shiny new stainless linkage. So I'll keep the tip in mind for when or even if that ever happens.

I've already spent way too much on just trying to get a more reliable car on the road than my 84 Riviera. Don't get me wrong, a 307 V-8 with a 4 barrel and front wheel drive is nice (especially in the snow), but the Buick just doesn't feel reliable, while the Barracuda almost always did (except for the fuel gauge, always got nervous below 1/4 tank on the gauge).

The kind of help I really need in my present situation is this: "find a dodge diplomat or a d200 pickup with a v-8 and thermoquad from 1975-1985 and get both upper and lower tranny linkage and and the bracket off the intake. You won't need throttle cable because your old one will work..."

I have no idea if what I typed is accurate, but that is what I'm looking for as far as help in this area goes. All the ranges and types of vehicles in whatever years might or will work. I'm sure there's a few out there that have done it this way Thanks.

Paul.

Thats the setup I have on my 68, are you missing pieces of the linkage? I had my upper linkage, the piece that goes from the carb to the bellcrank lengthened about an inch or inch and a half and works perfect.

I went from a BBD on my 318 to a "quad", and all I did was swap out the upper rod (carb to pivot) for the throttle pressure linkage and swapped from a 2 barrel throttle bracket to a 4 barrel bracket. It all fell right into place perfectly.

Is your intake set up for a spreadbore?

I went from a BBD on my 318 to a "quad", and all I did was swap out the upper rod (carb to pivot) for the throttle pressure linkage and swapped from a 2 barrel throttle bracket to a 4 barrel bracket. It all fell right into place perfectly.Is your intake set up for a spreadbore?

Yes, the edlebrock performer 2176 is a spread bore manifold and matches the accessory mounting holes of a factory 340/360 spread bore very closely (but as cast, it more closely matches the 318 head ports). You can also run certain square bores on it without an adapter I think. I do think the height of the carb compared to say the center of the crank overall is taller than the stock 360 manifold. Yeah, the longer rod thing would work. Already thought about cutting it back some and getting a union type nut and all-thread to extend it. Also turning the rod upside down. I think on the old setup, the bend was down. In the new, due to the position, up may leave for a better working angle. I'm fairly sure I could use the current mount bracket for the kickdown by doing this. That original bracket doesn't solve the throttle cable issue though but it sounds like you did. Also, it sounds like you found a kickdown rod (carb to pivot) that will fit without having to cut and splice with a union. Do you remember what the donor vehicle was? Or maybe know the part #'s of the rod and bracket? Thanks for the great replies.

Paul.

Do you remember what the donor vehicle was? Or maybe know the part #'s of the rod and bracket? Thanks for the great replies. Paul.

I don't, but the rod was a tad longer. You should consider changing the throttle bracket because the 4v one is slightly taller and at a different angle.

Like I said, those were the only two changes I made and it works perfectly.

2v bracket
View attachment 2vlinkage.jpg

4 v bracket
View attachment 4vbracket.jpg

Not the best pics, but you can see the difference in the brackets.

-
Back