Thermoquad rebuild.

-

Cuprum-74

Moparus Fanaticus
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I just collected a total of 5 thermoquads for a total of $240.
3 9000 series. Two of them are seized and one looked like it was dropped pretty hard.
And two 6000 series. A 6322 and a 6545. The 6322 has a busted screw still stuck in the base. The 6545 is the cleanest and looks the most functional. So that one will be the one I will try to rebuild.
I have two TQ rebuild kits.
No stranger to rebuilding carbs, just not the thermoquads.
This will be my first attempt at rebuilding a thermoquad, wish me luck! Any tips and advice is appreciated.

Use the 6545, since it is in the best shape and has a ported vacuum source. Check the wells on the bottom of the bowl to make sure they are not leaking. I'll sometimes put a layer of 2 part epoxy on the joints for insurance. Not too much as the bowl wells fit into the baseplate, and they won't fit if you put too much on. Double check the "O" rings to be sure they are in the correct place. Review RRR sticky on rebuilding a TQ. You should have brass floats, should be an easy build. Take your time.

Double check the "O" rings to be sure they are in the correct place. Review RRR sticky on rebuilding a TQ. You should have brass floats, should be an easy build. Take your time.

Not disagreeing with you, or not trying to confuse the OP, but the rings 'should' be X rings and not O rings. Just tossing it out there.

Also if you never took a Thermoquad apart, there are 2 screws inside hidden by the choke plate.I can't tell ya how many cracked float bowls are out there because of those screws.

Well the good news is I have plenty of spare parts. Lol

They are fairly easy to rebuild, 66 made an excellent point about making sure the wells are solid.

Check the phenolic body real good for straightness and be sure it's crack free.

Not disagreeing with you, or not trying to confuse the OP, but the rings 'should' be X rings and not O rings. Just tossing it out there.

You are correct! If your kit has round section o-rings do not use them as they can ruin your bowls.

I hope you mean the rings that look like this right?
x-rings.jpg

Those look like X rings, if you were to cut it, and look at the cut end it would resemble an X and not an O, so yes those are correct.

Note that the carb has a lot of adjustment points that need to be set as per spec.
Take note on the throttle shaft play. Bushing is possible.
Take your time, the carb is simple but a pain with the rods to be bent and set.

Once you get it, you will enjoy it.

You are correct! If your kit has round section o-rings do not use them as they can ruin your bowls.

back in the day we used sbc valve seals because sometines parts would take so long to get here in the boonies not saying its right but it worked .

back in the day we used sbc valve seals because sometines parts would take so long to get here in the boonies not saying its right but it worked .

Well that at least would be a use for them. They were a joke as valve seals. Not many would know what you are talking about, but I sure do.

-
Back