Thermoquads

-
I see you also have a notch in the intake itself....what is that for? also, is there a way to increase the cfm of the tq wihtout removing the choke horn?

The notch is there for clearance for the three bbl carbs; Holley and the ultra rare Carter AFB.

You can increase the total cfm's by 60 with the removal of the choke plate. This can easily give you another 20-25 hp on the 850 cfm and 15-20 hp on an 800 cfm. If you do this, you will have to increase the jet size on the primary side, David.

The notch is there for clearance for the three bbl carbs; Holley and the ultra rare Carter AFB.

You can increase the total cfm's by 60 with the removal of the choke plate. This can easily give you another 20-25 hp on the 850 cfm and 15-20 hp on an 800 cfm. If you do this, you will have to increase the jet size on the primary side, David.

so removal of the choke plate obviously means no choke and a tougher time starting the car up in cold weather right? im going to be taking the car out at night and in the mornings alot (wil see almost daily street duty) so is there anyway that you could do the street strip mods minus the removal of the choke plate, or would i be hampering the performance of my carb and motor?

This is another bit of a sacrifice you need to make (decide), kinda same as a cam for streetability.
You want go or ?

This is another bit of a sacrifice you need to make (decide), kinda same as a cam for streetability.
You want go or ?

I know thats the problem in deciding lol....i want more cfms and more power, but for a car that im going to be driving ALL the time (or as much as possible) i dont want to have to be revving it up for a couple of minutes to get it started on a cold night or morning....my parents, and especially the girlfriends parents arent going to like that lol...im just concerned with whether or not omitting that mod from the street strip build will make the rest of the street strip mods useless:munky2:

hey guys thanks for the advice....pettyblu, i thought that carb was mechanical secondaries? isnt 750cfm kinda big for a 340 like mine? Also i know thermoquads came into sizes...which would be more ideal for me? and has anybody ever used the holley reman thermoquads? they are a great price and look like a nice peice in the picture, but id be interested to hear anyone's actual experiences with them
i bought a holley reman thermoquad to put on a new 340 and it leaked so much gas out the linkages it wouldnt fill the bowls! get what you pay for !! demonsizzler does great work!it s really reasonable price when you see and feel the quality product he does! its well worth it!!!!:-D

I agree - don't touch a re-man TQ - give Dave a core, or buy one complete off him.

Most re-mans are the super lean smogger models anyway, way lean circuitry and too much junk hanging off them. They make a good core though ;)

My view - the Holley 750DP is probably the best option for strip only - depending on your CFM demands......

Vac secondary carbs do have that transition "lean out" which can be a bugger to get ironed out to extract every last 10th.......

But for a street/strip carb? - you can't go past the TQ or the AFB- and if you need CFM - the TQ is the ticket for this application.

are there nitrous systems available or that can be used with a vacuum secondary carb, and with the TQ in particular? i would like to spray the motor possibly in the future and dont want to have to change carbs for it...the tq seems like it would be great to help the motor breathe with say a 150 shot, but i dont know how hard it would be to make a plate system work with it

Hey David, it looks like im going to be running the thermoquad 6550 for sure now but stock for now since i have my money into too many other things on the car...any tuning tips or advice to make this stock 850cfm work well with my setup? anything i should know?

-
Back