Thermostat housing- small block

-

NiceFishEh

Reaction score
What year housings were made of cast iron and not white metal.

I can't stop mine from leaking. I sanded it flat with 80 grit as suggested. It was warped alright. This is my fourth attempt. I'm not over tightening it.

I will try it one more time with no gasket and RTV only. I looks like it's cupping, then the paper gasket gets wet, then it leaks.

The billet ones are nice but pricey by the time it's dropped off at my door.

Thanks

I use a pot metal chrome one - they are tricky but i have a system down after i filed it flat.

I use a gasket and thin film of RTV - I let it sit overnight DRY and then fill it up - never have a problem that way.

If you have a chrome plated one there`s only one true fix for it and that`s to trash it and buy a factory piece. I tried everything with the aftermarket chrome piece and just could not prevent it from cupping. I`m not sure what year the iron piece was discontinued for the lighter one (my 68 is the light piece) but the iron is still available at auto stores.

I use a pot metal chrome one - they are tricky but i have a system down after i filed it flat.

I use a gasket and thin film of RTV - I let it sit overnight DRY and then fill it up - never have a problem that way.

This is exactly what I did. Made sure to not overtighten also, still leaked. The more you tighten, the more it leaks because it cups.

Warped intake manifold??

Where were you 5 R & R's ago?! LOL

I put a straight edge on the manifold mating surface, and it's not flat. It dips down at the bolt hole locations causing the cup. The housing is now flat since I took 80 grit to it. Will do the same with manifold...should be OK.

Thanks

-
Back