Thermostat Replace

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Ok I don't have my service manual with me and I am bored can some one give me a quick and dirty thermostat install?

I thought you simply removed the upper radiator hose and it was right there at the block side. Do i need to remove the neck from the block also?

ok i don't have my service manual with me and i am bored can some one give me a quick and dirty thermostat install?

I thought you simply removed the upper radiator hose and it was right there at the block side. Do i need to remove the neck from the block also?
yes

Thank you. I am going to ask an opinion while I wait for the engine to cool a bit. I believe the thermosts needs to be replaced because while driving even a short distance I see the engine temp shoot up. It will come back down when I turn the heater fan on also the air coming out of the heater vents is not hot usually it is cool.

To replace, let the system cool down, open the petcock on the radiator and drain some of the coolant into a clean container {you can reuse it if it looks good}. Remove the upper hose from the housing. Remove the housing to expose the stat, remove the stat, {noting which way it is installed}. Clean the manifold side of the stat opening, also clean the housing itself. Be very careful not to score the mating surfaces.

Check the upper housing on a flat surface to make sure it's flat. USE a new gasket when installing. Do a reverse order from what you did to remove it. I would also suggest using a thin film of RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT over tighten the bolts, you can break them off easily.

Hope this helps.

Thank you turns out the thermostat was sticky and the coolant was low. I have a feeling the sticky thermostat caused an overflow issue which is why I was low. I topped it off with coolant it all looks good now no leaks. Tightened to about 20-25 pounds

You may also wantto flush your heater core back andforth till clean, that may help with the cool air coming out.

-
Back