thermostat replacement

-

1968notch

Too many projects, not enough time/$$$
Reaction score
Hi all

Trying to get the fish back on the road. It's a 68 notchback with a 318/904/7.25 (none are matching numbers but they do match original equip). The 2bbl was shot (throttle shaft was so loose I could drive a mack truck through the hole). Did a thermoquad 850 upgrade (to be used on a 340 later) along with a mopar elec. ign. upgrade (blue streak module and part of a harness from a 76 volare @ P and P along with a horn relay to give a better feed of 12v to ign. sys). I used an eddy performer intake ported for a 318. Haven't hooked up linkage yet but it pops that secondary air door open like right now with no bog. It just plain rocks. Can't road test it yet due to no linkage and a tranny that has no reverse or 3rd (front clutch actuator not engaging the clutch pack, but the friction material is good because when it did occasionally hook up in reverse, I could smoke the tires, just testing it of course:) ). Plus it slips now in 1st and second due to low fluid level and I'm not going to dump in fluid at 4 bucks a qt just have to dump it when I yank the tranny in a week or 2. Have a JY 150 buck replacement sitting in the trunk.

Maybe I'm having brain lock but the thermostat housing leaked after I installed it on the manifold. It was one of those funky peel and stick gaskets. My main question is does the gasket go under or over the actual thermostat? It was years ago that I replaced it last and I didn't pay attention when I took it off. In fact I don't remember removing a gasket at all really. Also, that peel and stick was utter fail. All the new ones are like that. I RTV'd both sides and the stick-um peeled from the gasket when I removed it, like a piece of saran wrap. Bought a new roll of gasket material and I'll be cutting my own. Wish I coulda found the roll I know I have somewhere. My garage is hosed with the daughter moving her stuff in there when she moved back in.

The other question is, what have others done for bracket system and linkage for tranny kickdown and throttle cable on an a-body 318 TQ upgrade? I have to put some stress on throttle cable to put it in a position that I think would work (kind of an "S" bend and it pushes on the firewall penetration with some resistance). It'll probably be OK though if I could get a bracket to hold it there in that position instead of my hand. The TQ's I picked up didn't have the linkage studs in the throttle arm so I swiped the one from the 2bbl. I think it will work fine. The operating rod to the upper half of tranny linkage is too short as well. I could fix it with all-thread and a union type nut, but it may require cutting the original rod back as I think it would then be too long.

Future plan is for a 340 (NOT a stroker, it defeats the purpose of a 340, IMO for just a few extra cubes over a 360 which are much easier to come by). I have block @ std. bore with a spun #4 main but I'm sure its fixable as it appears to have only spun around once and the tang notches look pretty good and the fingernail test reveals only a slight roughness. Almost tempted to just slap in a new bearing and calling it good but worried about heat dissipation into the webbing without full contact on backside of bearing. Also have crank, rods (bushed), and .30 over pistons (all used, all forged and in good shape). Also have J-heads in excellent shape and a set of light single groove stainless 2.02 valves. Need a cam kit (XE275HL), rebuild kit, also, a mopar friendly machine shop in the Portland OR area that has reasonable rates. And finally, a lot of help. I have done a lot of work on cars, but I've only seen an engine overhaul once in my 53 years on this planet. I've owned the car since the early 90's and basically drove the wheels off it as a daily driver. Fixing just what needed to be fixed. It's time to get it fixed up and bcak to daily driver status.

Body is fairly straight, some bodo in rear pass qtr, a ding in the pass fender, driver fender may need replacing due to a tragic tire blowout. Very little rust on this California car that had the original bumble bee license plates on it when bought it off the car lot in San Jose for 4,000 bucks. He financed it and I dropped off 400 bucks a month in person for 10 months to pay for it (no interest). How cool is that? Funding for any work on this is very sketchy though.

I've already spent waaay too much just to try to get it back on the road. Found 2 bent pushrods which I had trouble (mostly of the brain lock type) finding replacements for the 2 bent ones. Also instead of buying new lifters to quiet some lifter noise that sometimes continued for a few miles of driving and avoiding a break-in period, I disassembled each one one at a time and cleaned and re-assembled them placing back in original holes with assembly lube on as much of the cam as I could see and on lifter bottom. I wasn't sure the car would run @ 500 RPM let alone 2500 for 20 minutes for a break-in, since it was my first ever thermoquad re-build with a bowl swap from a doner 9015 (it's a model 9034s from a 440 truck with a MT so the book says, non-smogger). I guess I did it right because that engine really barks now. Just need a way to control it from INSIDE the vehicle, so any help there would be appreciated. This is a long post for just 2 questions but since it's my first and there's no history on here of the car I thought I'd include some. Oh, I also replaced all the valve stem seals with the cheap umbrella type. Old ones were like they were made out of black rocks.

Next 2 weeks = electrical stuff (aftermarket ato fuse block, ralley guage/dash repair and firewall penetration clean-up) and tranny swap.

BTW, I've learned a lot from the many posters on here so thanks to all of you. I have been lurking for several years, but just recently joined though.

Thanks in advance.

sincerely,
Paul.

Welcome aboard. People usually go to the welcome wagon to introduce themselves before writing a book. lol

The only way I could get the thermostat to stop leaking (after trying several housings and gaskets) was to go with an o-ring style billet housing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsp-90820/overview/make/dodge It has never leaked one drop.

You might just want to go with a Lokar throttle cable and Lokar kickdown cable. Much easier than monkeying around with old mis-matched linkages.

Welcome aboard. People usually go to the welcome wagon to introduce themselves before writing a book. lol

X2

If I remember correctly the gasket goes inbetween the intake and thermostat. I may be wrong though. I haven't installed one since the winter so my memory may have failed me.

Hi Paul-Welcome to FABO!

Gasket goes down on the manifold. Thermostats fits inside a lip on the thermostat housing w/2 bolts. Check your housing surface is straight as some are not due to the thermostat not being centered correctly and the bolts being tightened down excessively trying to stop the inevitable leak. I cleaned all my surfaces real good, put it together and snugged the bolts-no leaks! Good luck.

What gasket?
Throw that crap in the trash and use a 1/8 bead of red RTV and put it together wet, then wipe off any RTV that came out the sides.
My thermostat housings never leak a drop either. :)

If the bolts are drilled into water, water will climb those threads.
I cant comment from experience about the chromed aftermarket housings.
There have been quite a few times when I replaced a thermostat under the OEM housing, and yes there was a tiny seepage initially under pressure. I ignored it until a day or 2 later. It stopped leaking every time.
Am I saying others are too quick to throw more money at it ? No.
Only saying I'm not as quick to buy another gasket and try again.
Good luck with it.

Hi All,

I fixed the leak but still need help with linkage for a TQ upgrade on a 318 in a 1968 A body using 2176 eddy performer manifold. The kind that doesn't involve throwing 200 bucks worth of aftermarket parts at the problem and then hope I get lucky and have them all work. Thanks for the Lokar link but I'm just trying to get this car back on the road and the funds are tight. I'll probably use the lokar stuff later because when I do have the funds to finish and install the 340 it would have to be a huge windfall in funds and I'd probably have some for the pretty new stainless linkage. So I'll keep the tip in mind for when or even if that ever happens. I've already spent way too much on just trying to get a more reliable car on the road than my 84 Riviera. Don't get me wrong, a 307 V-8 with a 4 barrel and front wheel drive is nice, but the Buick just doesn't feel reliable, while the Barracuda almost always did (except for the fuel gauge, always got nervous below 1/4 tank on the gauge).

The kind of help I need is this: "find a dodge diplomat or a d200 pickup with a v-8 and thermoquad from 1975-1985 and get both upper and lower tranny linkage and and the bracket off the intake. Don't need throttle cable as your old one will work..."

I have no idea if what I typed is accurate, but that is what I'm looking for as far as help in this area goes. All the ranges and types of vehicles in whatever years might or will work. I'm sure there's a few out there that have done it this way Thanks.

Paul.

Since the thermostat housing issue is fixed (Thanks all!) the title of this thread no longer really reflects the help I still need so I want to start a new thread with the last post (slightly edited). Thanks again for the help with the thermo leak.

Paul

-
Back