Thermostat

-

Sparky

Reaction score
Not Mopar, but what thermostat would you run in a GM 350, like the one in my 75 Caprice. I have a 190, would that be the norm?
Thanks

The stat sets the minimum running temp. In winter if the heater core cant supply enough heat, we raise the minimum running temp with a higher rated stat.
In summer, we want to maintain engine efficiency, so I still run a hot stat. If you have over-heating issues, a cooler stat will not solve your problem, unless the stat is faulty. Remember the stat sets the MINIMUM running temp.
Engine efficiency increases with rising running temp, right until it cokes the oil or seizes a skirt. Modern vehicles are running "normal" temps of 220*, plus. Oil temps over 250* are not recommended. If your engine is set up for it, the sweet spot seems to be 220 to 230. But you better have a well planned cooling system, capable of shedding a lot of heat, cuz theres not a lot of headroom from 230 to 250.
Getting back to your 350.
If you're gonna run up into the mountains, I'd kinda suggest a 160/170.This will give you a couple of minutes to watch the temp gauge when climbing long grades, and verifying the cooling system is capable.
Down on the flatland, the 190 would be my choice.
Remember overheating is not a stat problem unless its not opening correctly.

190º X 2

The thermostat temp determines when coolant fully circulates (stat open). The car can run normally anywhere from 190º-210º F. The engine is considered to be overheating when an accurate temperature gauge reads 240º F and higher. These numbers assume that a properly working 16 psi thermostat is installed.

Great thanks,pretty much what I was thinking and as it turns out 195 was factory, so I was told. Might not be the thermostat but no other indications at this time, Rad is new so I figure start with the cheapest part and hope it is a quick fix.
Thanks guys.

Might not be the thermostat but no other indications at this time, Rad is new so I figure start with the cheapest part and hope it is a quick fix.
Thanks guys.

So thats hinting at an overheat condition.You didnt say the engine was/is overheating. Nor did you ask what to do about it.If you dont ask the right questions, you wont get the right answers

So thats hinting at an overheat condition.You didnt say the engine was/is overheating. Nor did you ask what to do about it.If you dont ask the right questions, you wont get the right answers

Well sorry about that,I will go stand in the corner for the rest of the day. Take a chill pill. Car is fixed,thank for the help.

-
Back