Thin Wall Spark Plug Socket

-

Tjhoward84

1969 Barracuda Convertible
Reaction score
Looking for a thin wall spark plug socket for my 1998 crate 360. Anyone have a lead on one? I think its a 20mm socket.

spark plug.jpg

Looking for a thin wall spark plug socket for my 1998 crate 360. Anyone have a lead on one? I think its a 20mm socket.

View attachment 1716276348
This are the wrong spark plugs. That cylinder is set up for a 5/8" spark plug hex. Maybe that is a typical older style 13/16" spark plug in there, but not sure.

Just get a really cheap Chinese socket for whatever size spark plug that is and grind down the outside until it will go in and do the job. Get correct spark plugs when it goes back together.

Or, does a friend have a lathe, just turn the socket down. Had to do that even for the 5/8 's plugs in my trick flow heads.

Who in their right mind thought that was a good idea. How long have they been in there. If not long I’m thinking it couldn’t be that tight. Maybe try gently grabbing the porcelain with channel locks and back it out. Get the right 5/8 plugs in there.

If worst comes to worst for 20.00 buy a set of these and slide the next smaller size down over the plug and see if you can weld it to the plug. If you or a friend have a welder

IMG_3636.jpeg

Get the correct plugs. You need the 5/8 hex not a 13/16 hex.

Just backing up my peeps above who said the same thing.

Those are the original plugs that came with the engine. The engine sat on an engine stand from 1998 to 2013 waiting to get installed. I did not have the car during that time frame. The engine was installed in the car and started in Aug. 2013. I have never touched the plugs as the car runs great and only get about 500 miles put on it a year.

Why are you trying to remove the plug now then. Sounds like you have time to come up with a plan.

I wanted to check the health of the plugs since they are original to the engine (1998).

Those are the original plugs that came with the engine. The engine sat on an engine stand from 1998 to 2013 waiting to get installed. I did not have the car during that time frame. The engine was installed in the car and started in Aug. 2013. I have never touched the plugs as the car runs great and only get about 500 miles put on it a year.

Did the factory install those plugs? I doubt it.

That bore for the socket is meant for a 5/8 hex. Not a 13/16.

Can you tell me what heads you have? I don’t want to reread the whole thread. I’m lazy like that lol

This is starting to get like, ' Who's on third'. Wanted help, gets advice, says plugs are original to engine. Sounds like he wants to put them back in after he removes them. Would you like to correct the error? Or just, nothing to see here. We don't care if someone else installed the wrong plugs. Are you interested in installing the correct plugs? Not trying to be mean, but, come on, sounds like you are trying to argue that they are correct. Move on.

Buy a cheap socket and hit it on bench grinder or belt sander. You'll be done in less than the time it took to start this thread.

A plug can be correct in every way but the size of the hex. If you had provided the part number I requested (it's partially visible on the side of the plug in your pic), I would have told you the hex size, so you could modify the right size socket to remove them as so many have suggested. It isn't 20mm. It probably is 13/16". These are the wrong plugs because standard sockets won't fit. Once you have a tool that will fit, you can put the wrong plugs back in if you want.

Or, does a friend have a lathe, just turn the socket down. Had to do that even for the 5/8 's plugs in my trick flow heads.
I had to turn down about 3/4" on one of my 5/8" sockets to use on my Indy small block heads.

-
Back